WARNING: PurePower purepoweraps.com Richard and Damian Janzen are frauds

clin36

Oct 30, 2016
folks, please stay away from PurePower (Pure Power, www.purepoweraps.com ) and Richard and Damian Janzen.

They are a fraudulent business and scammers.

please read:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/bad-experience-with-purepower-of-canada#1588367

or many other audiogon threads that talked about horror stories with the purepower, pure power, Richard Janzen and Damian Janzen.

They do not have any legitimate license, do not make any hardware, think they defrauded ProPower by ordering ProPower's AC regenerators and then change the casing to sell them as their own. By the way, according to ProPower, Richard and Damian bought $150,000 worth of units but never paid for them.

It's sad that these two crooks still have presence online and still victimize unsuspecting or uninformed audiophiles.

PurePower Partners
148 Northumberland St. Unit 4
Ayr, ON N0B 1E0
Canada

PurePower Partners LLC.
1623 Military Rd. #903
Niagara Falls, New York

Audiophile APS Inc.
24 Hume St.
Plattsville, ON
N0J 1S0

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's very sad that they have an office in Canada, in my own country. ...In Ontario.

Audiophile APS Inc.
24 Hume St.
Plattsville, ON, Canada
N0J 1S0
Phone: (226) 240-0336

___

"Fighting Fakery
Counterfeit PurePower
A Taiwanese OEM that attempted to steal our brand, trademark and IP has been ordered to pay $649,113 in damages."

¤ http://www.purepoweraps.com/TheRealPurePower.htm

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
It's very sad that they have an office in Canada, in my own country. ...In Ontario.

Audiophile APS Inc.
24 Hume St.
Plattsville, ON, Canada
N0J 1S0
Phone: (226) 240-0336

___

"Fighting Fakery
Counterfeit PurePower
A Taiwanese OEM that attempted to steal our brand, trademark and IP has been ordered to pay $649,113 in damages."

¤ http://www.purepoweraps.com/TheRealPurePower.htm

Yes,...this is a long-running and very bad/tragic story for many audiophiles on Agon and I know several people including myself who
were subject to their varying degree of b.s. over the years and for many, fraud. I luckily dodged the fraud aspect but my dealer did
not. He died a few years ago with PP still owing him money or a PP3000+ unit after a string of broken promises. Bad mojo with these
2 fraudsters,..>STAY AWAY!!!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
WOW !! I had no idea. This is a huge shock to me. I never cease to be amazed.

I purchased two of their units (1150 and a 2000) but sold the 1150 when I no longer needed it. The one I now have is probably 7 or 8 years old and until recently has operated perfectly. The original batteries were gone and needed replacement. I paid for them, eventually got them and installed them and everything has been fine. I had no clue. It most definitely made a difference in the room in which it was initially installed, and at worst, it is a battery backup for most of my system components.

What I find interesting is that some number of years ago they told me a story of THEM being ripped off by some Chinese copy cats, and what they had to go through to get out of the mess it created for them.

Well, I won't be buying anything from them in longer - nor did I have plans to.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I also had a problem with them. I bought my pp2000+ and battery pack from them, paid all in advance. I have been told they will all be delivered to my door. I paid for shipping, customs and all.
They could not deliver the battery, but they delivered the regenerator. I had countless emails and so many reasons why they couldn't. I contacted bbb then they moved. It took more than a year and a half and they couldn't deliver the battery. I had them send it to a US address and brought from there myself. I live in Turkey!

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I dealt with those turkeys years back, needing service parts. Lots of talk, no action. Made a call to the dealer I bought the 2 units from, he made it happen.

All the remaining US dealers have run far away from these guys.

PurePower

Oct 29, 2012
The situation reported has been presented unfairly we believe and includes completely false information regarding PurePower.

We were working to solve a problem with a PurePower installation in California for over a year providing multiple replacement units and various solutions which were not effective.

All three units provided him functioned perfectly on initial build and later on return inspection.

After over a year, the customer finally disclosed that he had a solar installation with inverters attached to his home, generating extremely high harmonics. Had we known he had a solar install, we would have had a solution almost immediately instead of trying to find a fix for something that wasn’t broken.

There was no claim that the PurePower units did not provide perfect and isolated regenerated AC, or that the desired performance improvement of the connected components was not met, but the problem with the off grid solar power caused loud harmonic buzzing in our input filter circuits at a level we have never before heard. When the input was disconnected by the customer and run from battery mode, it was silent.

Regardless, we will ensure that the customer receives full restitution as warranted. We did not refuse to refund his purchase price at any time. We simply promised to accept his return - after a full year - resell that unit to another customer and provide a full refund the minute it is sold. We feel that is eminently fair for a custom built and configured product.

On the matter of “The Real” PurePower:

- PurePower began in 2003 with 100% North American parts, manufacturing and assembly with 1st Gen models.
- In 2006 we outsourced some board production to Taipei for the 2nd Gen models with the remainder of production and assembly in Canada.
- We slowly increased outsourcing of parts over the next 5 years until most of the unit was produced and assembled overseas.
- In 2011 our primary supplier attempted an outrageous brand and product theft. This is fully documented in the court papers made available on our web site and was resolved completely in our favor (against the above mentioned "Zaki" and his ProPower people) by the 6th Circuit in Florida with an award of $650,000. This award remains entirely outstanding. We maintain no relation with the former supplier in any way and they remain under permanent court injunction.
- 2012 was occupied with the above legal issues, and a full year of design of our 3rd Gen “Plus” models as well as bringing all production and assembly back to Canada.
- A long and difficult period of recovery ensued. The disruption to the company caused by the attempted hijacking of our brand and products were severe with years of lingering effects.
- 2017 through this year saw our development and release of the new 4th Gen. PurePower Gold product line – also with North American production and assembly in our Canada facility.

PurePower makes great AC regeneration products. We believe we deal in good faith and try to provide good and timely service to our dealers and customers.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm still confused. Customer complaints notwithstanding, they are very conflicting stories. PurePower claims (I chose not to chase down the court records) that they sued and won against ProPower. So who is the bad guy here? As stated above, I have been a long time and very satisfied customer of PurePower, have never gotten the "run around" on any issue I have had with them and when I needed a part (battery finally died), I paid for it and got it.

So curious.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
That audiogon discussion is from 2015.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Chuck, on Audiogon there are few threads with customers experience.
Another one (2012): https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/purepower-aps-a-reliable-product

Best is to take the time and read them all, then you can assess quite fairly the overall consensus. Short of taking the time to read them all, you can shorten it by say taking 30 minutes of your life. It's an averaging of customers.

This thread is just a warning to make future customers are aware, that's all.
The OP wants WBF members to know, which is a good thing.
After all, audio is part of our business, and music our entertainment of enjoying with fun in our life.

* Knowledge helps in making our purchase decisions, trust is supreme.

clin36

Oct 30, 2016
folks, Richard posted the same lies and misinformation in audigon, which I responded. If you care to, please read my response there dated 7/27/2018 and later.

Richard,

"functioned perfectly on initial build and later on return inspection."

Readers only have to go back to my earlier posting on 7/20/2018 at 12:55pm to know what you said is total lie.

On May 23, 2017, at 3:31 PM, Richard Janzen <richard@purepoweraps.com> wrote:

Hi Charles,

We have found that an entire batch of 3000 motheboards have noisy output filter circuits.

And in your email dated August 2017
On Aug 22, 2017, at 12:47 PM, Richard Janzen <richard@purepoweraps.com> wrote:
Hi Charles,

Sorry for our excessively long delay. Let me explain what we have been up to. Its a long email, but hopfully worth the read.

As you already know, the model 3000 120 volt unit shipped to you suffered from an excessively noisy cap and coil in the output filter.

We unfortunately shipped 2 units with this problem.

I attach a photo of the offending cap and coil

We pot the coils in a special epoxy to prevent coil movement and keeps the coil silent.

We cover the capacitor in a sound absorbing clay material that is very effective in soaking up high frequency noise.

For three years this treatment has kept our filter boards nice and quiet.

Then we received a new batch of boards from our supplier and didn’t suspect a thing until you and the other customer plugged in your amplifiers.

Since then we have been trying to resolve this seemingly simple issue.

We did find an alternative capacitor - an oil filled cap - that is completely silent.

The unit with the new cap was tested by our dealer, and he decided it was quiet enough for normal audio listening. He shipped the unit back to the customer - who says he is perfectly happy and cannot hear any audible sound.

However, in your case we think we need perfection. It was not as quiet as it shoudl be. We needed a completely silent coil as well.

We did find an alternate supplier, who promised us that he could build us a perfect silent coil, but the timeline, and price were a problem.

So we decided instead to wait for the new PurePower Gold introduction.

Main take away from your email are:

1. shipped to you suffered from an excessively noisy cap and coil in the output filter.

2. and didn’t suspect a thing until you and the other customer plugged in your amplifiers.

Readers, please note especially the statement "YOU AND THE OTHER customer ..."

Your claim that my solar setup is responsible for your unit to buzz is purely YOUR conjecture (and frankly, I don’t believe that b.s, but that is beside the point).

Basically ...

• your product does not perform or work well under customer’s environment
  • customer had your equipment for a total of about 10+ minutes before they were boxed and shipped back to you
  • you had every opportunity to tell me that you don’t think you guys can make it work and I would be fine with that (and would have great respect for you as a person and as a business man
  • you made me wait for 15 months then come back and told me you are, sort of speaking, doing me a favor by accepting my return after over a year
  • you claim you did not ’refuse’ to refund, but your not refunding me for nearly 3 months by now constitutes a refusal to refund me my money. You had no ground to claim that just because you don’t have the money that I have to wait for you to sell your next unit before I can get my money

I would also like to further explain why I don’t believe Richard’s claim that solar power was to blame.

Before I shipped the 3rd unit (the ’new’ PurePower+ 3000 Gold) back to you, I had already received the PS Audio DirectStream P20.

I plugged the PurePower to the PS Audio P20 (i.e., PurePower getting its AC from the PS Audio), and the PurePower buzzed just as badly as when it was plugged in directly to a 20-amp dedicated wall outlet.

And what kind of non-sense is this statement from Richard?

"There was no claim that the PurePower units did not provide perfect and isolated regenerated AC, or that the desired performance improvement of the connected components was not met,"

HUH??? As I had explained to the whole world in my Audiogon post (and elsewhere), I had the 1st unit on for a total of no more than 5 minutes, 2nd unit for about 1 min, and 3rd and final unit for about another 5 minutes. They were making such loud buzzing noise that music lovers cannot enjoy music, who the hell care what kind or quality of regenerated AC at that point? And the fact that I couldn't even have them turned on in my audio environment qualified 1000% as DID NOT meet the desired performance improvement of the connected components!

Last edited:

clin36

Oct 30, 2016
Audiogon discussion is still valid and relevant. Richard and Damian Janzen defrauded unsuspecting audiophile customers back then, and they still do today.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Caveat Emptor!!!

I have interchanges with Richard and Damian going back to late 2012 with the 2000+/3000+ generation of products where I had
the sound of bees buzzing coming out of my speakers when a + unit was in the system that they blamed on everything under the
sun including illness, financial pressure, defective parts (only after blaming my system first!!!). What they could never explain was
why the noises went away and my system, my cables, my grounding system, my house electrical, my house ground and everything
else cited was perfectly fine when my existing Purepower 2000 (non + unit) went back in the system and why they problem only
happened when their + unit turned on in the system from the very first few seconds.

This was late 2012->early 2013 and it seems they still have similar problems, still lie, cheat and otherwise mistreat their customers.

Still have all these emails as a poignant reminder of what I never want to live through again.

Go figure...something about leopards never being able to change their spots comes to mind :) !

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
How did all turn out? Did they ever make it right? What did you do with your original PurePower 2000?

HiFiMan087

Apr 22, 2021
Greetings from Ireland. Reading some of the above posts...not nice, not fair.
I would like to say that I own a PurePower 700 since 2009. It is still going strong.
Last year, the batteries died in my unit. However, when I contacted PurePower, I found them most helpful.
They advised me with regards to which battery replacements I needed and also sent me detailed instructions on how to change the batteries.
I am thrilled with my PurePower.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
How did all turn out? Did they ever make it right? What did you do with your original PurePower 2000?
@Sammy T

Sammy,

Apologies for not seeing this post a couple years ago. "How did it all turn out?" Well, I put my 2000 (non-plus unit)
back in the system repeatedly and had no issues.

The "3000+" unit went back to my dealer and he did further testing and also experienced issues. A second unit was sent
that was supposed to fix the issues (that were originally blamed by PP on my house power, system, etc... in the first place)
only to have the same results (like bees buzzing sounds out of my speakers) . After a few days of back and forth,
I frankly gave up on the + units, went back to the Purepower 2000 that I owned with no issues happily for a while.

Some time later seeing no upgrade path and after several more unsatisfactory and unsavory communications with PP and watching
my dealer and long-time friend continue to fight with them about returning the demo units and also his trying to get
several thousand dollars back right up until his untimely death from a brain aneurysm in his early 50s, I sold my still-functioning
Purepower 2000 older unit to person on Audiogon who received more good service from the unit. My dealer also never
got the money back from PP at any time up until his death.

HifiMan087: I see you signed up today and have made a single post calling the comments on this thread 'not nice, not fair'.
I am glad to see you had a good experience with your PP 700 and that you were able to get advice as to what batteries you
needed to buy from a provider and how to change them in your unit yourself. As I mentioned here and on the other forum,
my 2000 performed very well for me for a period of time and then for the person I sold it to so apparently there were either none or
very few issues with any units in the timeframe of the model 700, 1050 or 2000 manufactured prior to 2011-2012 when many people
including myself from several countries including US, experienced significant issues both with new units and customer care by the owners
documented in detail elsewhere. Interestingly as stated by PP on the other forum, the units like the 700. 1050 and 2000 that did not have
issues were made during the timeframe where PP stated they were having production done in Taiwan by another company. You continue
to have a good experience with your unit so I am happy for you. That does not however invalidate many other peoples' experiences
and significant issues with PP.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing