Musical Paralysis - at age 30?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Keith
I am just the opposite. I'd give up this hobby in a second if I had nothing to listen to but the SOS I grew up with.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Sounds about right for most people, however if you are in the business and exhibit at shows, you get exposed to a lot of newer music and some of it is great. Also, some TV video specials can introduce you to new music. When I was a kid, it was always on the FM radio that I heard new music. Not sure what kids do nowadays.

I personally enjoy Bruno Mars a lot, even though my music is of the 70's.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
https://mixmag.net/read/research-suggests-that-people-stop-discovering-new-music-at-age-30-news

Wow - that's even earlier than I would expect. There are a lot of audiophiles out there that don't listen to new music, but they tend to be much older.

Thanks for posting, very cool subject. One of the issues with new rock music for me is that the recordings are terrible. Most of my new music is classical and live jazz. Now there are a few exceptions (Death Cab, Alabama Shakes, Jose' Gonzales) but for the most part......terrible flat sounding recordings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for posting, very cool subject. One of the issues with new rock music for me is that the recordings are terrible. Most of my new music is classical and live jazz. Now there are a few exceptions (Death Cab, Alabama Shakes, Jose' Gonzales) but for the most part......terrible flat sounding recordings.

I think new music here refers to music that is new to the listener, which could be Beethoven if he was a milk Milli Vanilli listener, and not necessarily music that is newly being composed or performed, i.e discovering music you are not used to

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
This is not true for me at all. If anything, I've broadened my tastes into more genres and artists than ever before. A big part of my enjoyment of this hobby is discovering new-to-me music. I doubt that I would have spent as much on this hobby if that was not the case.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think new music here refers to music that is new to the listener, which could be Beethoven if he was a milk Milli Vanilli listener, and not necessarily music that is newly being composed or performed, i.e discovering music you are not used to

That's not clear from the article:

"The study also distinguishes the age of 24 as being the "peak" time for new musical interest and discovery. At this age, three-quarters of respondents (75 per cent) reported listening to ten or more new tracks per week and 64 per cent make a point to seek out at least five new artists every month."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
There is no mention if they did a similar survey in the USA, Canada, Japan, France, Italy, Brazil, Iceland, Netherlands, Montenegro, Finland, Africa, Arabia, Egypt, ...

With the Internet and all the radio music stations and YouTube music channels ... New Music has never been easier to access...anytime @ any age.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There is no mention if they did a similar survey in the USA, Canada, Japan, France, Italy, Brazil, Iceland, Netherlands, Montenegro, Finland, Africa, Arabia, Egypt, ...

With the Internet and all the radio music stations and YouTube music channels ... New Music has never been easier to access...anytime @ any age.

They listen to nothing but Slayer in Montenegro. There is no new music there, only Slayer.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If it were not for Tidal (and my youngest daughter's attempt to insert herself into the music world), I would have quit exploring new musical options. My genres of interest have not changed much however. Most of the new stuff is barely intelligible and much is not even "musical" and too much is just obscene. So I tend to find new recordings of Blues, Jazz, Country (gulp), Classical, etc. Tidal is really great for new music (and artists) exploration.

I still never get tired of listening to my favorite 70's music: (Eagles; Queen; Fleetwood Mac; Boston; Chicago; Doobie Brothers; America; BeeGees; Dire Straights; Commodores; ...........)

Most of those recordings are overly dry and thin on bass so I have a different set of target curves for that music.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Fortunately for me, I found my classical legs. If I had to only rely on classic rock and golden era jazz, I would be board musically.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm 44 and nowhere near getting bored. I do love my 70s prog, but I listen to way more than 5 new artists every week, and I've been like that forever. Before, it was friends sending mix tapes, then CD-Rs, then MP3s, and now, Tidal :)

There's tons of way of discovering new music, and given how EASY it is delve deep into any particular style/genre, frankly, it puzzles me how you can enjoy music and be stuck with the same old stuff you've heard many, many times. These days, I leave the classics for special sessions, when I'm particularly in the mood for something specific.

And I'm not bothered by poor recording quality either. It comes with the territory, having largely grown up with poorly recorded rock music anyway. I can certainly enjoy my early Ramones, and it's not for their studio prowess :)

cheers,
alex

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's not the recording quality that bothers me about current music...its the current state of pop/rock music that I can't stand. There are always a few exceptions I suppose.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
It's not the recording quality that bothers me about current music...its the current state of pop/rock music that I can't stand. There are always a few exceptions I suppose.

+1
Seems to me most Millenials and Gen Z only have 2 channels on their MP3 devices: "Crap" and "More crap".
I don't mean to pan most pop/rock music post 2000, but it was hardly a "golden age". Copper? Tin? Not even sure I'd go that far.
Hardly true for the genres of jazz, classical, gospel and especially world music.
BTW, my daughter and son-in-law hate it when I say stuff like this. I then ask them to name anyone who is popular today who they will be playing on my stereo 25 years from now (after they inherit it!). Of course there might be a few, but you get the point. I can't help but lament the state of modern pop/rock.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That isn't true for me in the least, and I'm one of the youngest around the boards. But I have to say I discover a lot more old music at record stores than I do new music. Sometimes I find a band in a genre I don't pay much attention to then must explore... often I end up liking stuff that is earlier in that genre.

Other people I know that are a bit younger than a lot of audiophiles find new music often.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
+1
Seems to me most Millenials and Gen Z only have 2 channels on their MP3 devices: "Crap" and "More crap".
I don't mean to pan most pop/rock music post 2000, but it was hardly a "golden age". Copper? Tin? Not even sure I'd go that far.
Hardly true for the genres of jazz, classical, gospel and especially world music.
BTW, my daughter and son-in-law hate it when I say stuff like this. I then ask them to name anyone who is popular today who they will be playing on my stereo 25 years from now (after they inherit it!). Of course there might be a few, but you get the point. I can't help but lament the state of modern pop/rock.

Sales wise there has never been a golden age for jazz, classical, gospel and especially world music. They are irrelevant in the big picture.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I will say by age 30 you stop going to as many local small shows. There are good ones for sure, but I've seen so many house shows and basement of business shows to no longer want to see every single band possible in town. Ordering an LP is just fine. Although the last band I ended up ordering 4 LP's, 2 I don't want, the other 2 I do... the first 2 did not sound like the digitized version that led me to the band.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing