Carver Reference System

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Very cool! This is the first time I've seen the ALS and 7s in the same place.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Those are the 9's and I believe those were custom by James Sauter. Might be wrong on the feet though. Looks like he has the newest version of the ALS' too.

Nice setup Dr. K. Has Bob listened to it yet?

Tom

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Are those Mapleshade brass footers, or imitations?

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
How are the Carver ALS working out for you ?......by the way are those custom support structures under the ALS?........

Cheers......

Hi, the ALS are the finest speakers I’ve ever owned. I’ve had or have Raidho D2.1s, Apogees, Manepan 3s, Quad ESL 57, Mirage M1s, etc. These compete with the finest speakers I’ve ever heard in my 30 years in the hobby.

The ALS speaker stands are custom “Klingon” stands.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Those are the 9's and I believe those were custom by James Sauter. Might be wrong on the feet though. Looks like he has the newest version of the ALS' too.

Nice setup Dr. K. Has Bob listened to it yet?

Tom

Yes, custom stands by James Sauter. Feet are also his design but not as pointy.

Yes, it is the latest version of ALS.

Bob has not heard the final setup. He will though. He said he’s going to hang photos of this system over his fireplace. LOL.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
What subwoofer are you using?

Sunfire Tabla Rosa that comes with the ALS. Bob did a fantastic job integrating the sub with the towers. You can see the sub behind the amps in the photos. I also have a pair of custom made servo-controlled dipole subwoofers using two 12 inch divers per channel. These are black and located along the right and left sides of the front wall in the photos. They are not being used with the ALS at this time.

Woofer and Tweet

Feb 15, 2017
Burbank, California
Of all the high end loudspeakers currently on the market, this is the one that excites me most. I don't think I'll find a set-up like this one to hear it in all its glory though. Now it's time to just sit down and enjoy (while viewing Woofer & Tweet :rolleyes:).

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Sunfire Tabla Rosa that comes with the ALS. Bob did a fantastic job integrating the sub with the towers. You can see the sub behind the amps in the photos. I also have a pair of custom made servo-controlled dipole subwoofers using two 12 inch divers per channel. These are black and located along the right and left sides of the front wall in the photos. They are not being used with the ALS at this time.

Do you agree with Amir’s experience?

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...er-and-his-amazing-line-source-speakers.1261/

He said the image is at the ceiling.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Do you agree with Amir’s experience?

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...er-and-his-amazing-line-source-speakers.1261/

He said the image is at the ceiling.

No, I don’t agree. The guy Amir who commented seems to be confusing imaging and soundstaging. Soundstage is the volume of space within a recording. Imaging is the placement of individual instruments and vocals within the volume of space or soundstage. Given the appropriate recording, the ALS can generate a huge soundstage beyond the boundaries of your room. In my system with correctly recorded music, the images are realistically portrayed in height. Intimately recorded vocals are between 5 to 6 feet from the floor. I have no vocals coming from the ceiling! I do have high pitch organ notes image close to the ceiling and 25-30 Hz organ notes spreading like a wave in the bottom 1/4 of my room. Acoustic treatment of the room is very important with this speaker to get everything correct, as with all other speakers I’ve ever set up. As a frame of reference, I have 2-way monitor speakers that will unnaturally throw a female voice close to the ceiling when I don’t have any room acoustic treatment. Don’t blame the speaker. Blame the room.

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Of all the high end loudspeakers currently on the market, this is the one that excites me most. I don't think I'll find a set-up like this one to hear it in all its glory though. Now it's time to just sit down and enjoy (while viewing Woofer & Tweet :rolleyes:).

The ALS is a radical design that is unique in high end audio. When I first heard these at RMAF around 2013, I was not impressed with the sound at all. Having spent the past 9 months with the current version of the ALS, I’m convinced it will compete with or surpass any speaker at any price for overall performance.

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to hear a set up like this (at least for now) because the amplifier is a prototype and is unique, very different than the current production version of the Silver 7 amp.

I plan on modifying the crossover of the ALS and make some modifications to the ALS speaker cabinet and stands to further improve the sound.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
You will have great improvement on the crossover network but what can you do with the enclosures? There is about 2mm of clearance in many areas and the areas that are clear to do mods on are taken up by wires.

Tom

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
You will have great improvement on the crossover network but what can you do with the enclosures? There is about 2mm of clearance in many areas and the areas that are clear to do mods on are taken up by wires.

Tom

I probably will not be doing any mods inside the enclosure. Rather, the bottom plate of the speaker that sits on top of the stands and the mid/woofer drivers mounting plates probably can be modified. If I really want to go nuts, the face plates on the tweeter can be made of different material that will provide better energy dissipation but gains will be minor I believe. I can also rewire the internal wires in the speakers with better wire. The stock wire is tin plated stranded copper wire with I think PVC insulation, which I'm not a fan of.

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Dr K, tell us more about the Silver 7’s. Curious why you went with KT-150s instead of KT-120s? The ALS is not a demanding load as far as I know so I’m wondering what you feel you get with that huge power? I use Bob’s Black Beauty 305s with my Magnepan 20.7s and they’re a great match. I do wonder though if another 400 or 500 watts with the Maggie’s would be a plus. I have a very large room (almost 7,000 cubic feet) and I’d like to fill it up with sound! Curiously, I’ve discussed this topic with the folks at Carver Corp. and they don’t seem to give the Silver 7s much credit in this area. Their thinking seems to be if the 305s work why would,you want to use the Silver 7s. Odd Marketing approach if you ask me.

How would you describe the Silver 7s?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing