Abandoned homes ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was checking some abandoned drug Lord's mansions around the world; Columbia, USA, India, China, etc., and I thought what a nice idea for a new thread, for the imagination, for the contrast between real life and the other life. There was an abandoned Disney resort in Florida, there was this guy who built a mountain on top of a skyscraper in China, abandoned mansions of five, ten, plus million dollars...just empty, nobody lives there, it would cost a lot to fix and maintain.

And came this one, in Malibu, California...and I was thinking what a perfect home for a state-of-the-art hi-fi stereo system...

https://youtu.be/uS3TcQR7WUo

The high ceiling, the walls ready to be acoustically calibrated and soundproof treated ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here's the mountain this professor built atop of a skyscraper in Beijing, China...his own penthouse built during six years, and without a permit!

https://youtu.be/pq4rhzTS2f8

Some people not only have spare money to spend but also extravagant ideas to go with it.
And he just didn't care about the people living below on the lower floors...with walls cracking and water leaking and not being able to sleep for six years with all the construction noises.

Here in America you don't see that type of stuff, you need to show a permit first.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Bob, where do you find this stuff?

Each time I see something like this, I can only wonder how many starving and homeless people could be helped by the gross amount of money that is wasted on super extravagance - multi- million dollar cars, owning 4 multi million dollar homes, A MOUNTAIN resort on top of a building. Hollywood couples who build $20,000,000 18,000 sf homes who MAYBE give $5000 to charity.

I am all for ethically and legally building massive wealth - but then share it with those who are less fortunate. Seems that 10% might be a fair amount.

I am now stepping off my soapbox !! And I am sure I have offended someone !!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
audioguy,

I know how you feel but truthfully is, not that many. Why? Because it's not about just handing out food. Systems need to be functioning in order to provide an economy and therefor ability to produce and buy food. That kind of reform is what anywhere struggling is in need of... While there are lots of ways to be much better philanthropists, and a lot of people would be well to do so... throwing money at problems isn't exactly the best way to "fix" everything.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
audioguy,

I know how you feel but truthfully is, not that many. Why? Because it's not about just handing out food. Systems need to be functioning in order to provide an economy and therefor ability to produce and buy food. That kind of reform is what anywhere struggling is in need of... While there are lots of ways to be much better philanthropists, and a lot of people would be well to do so... throwing money at problems isn't exactly the best way to "fix" everything.
In general, I agree. But tell that to the child who doesn't get to eat on weekends because he only gets food at school.

The much bigger issue is as you state, but some temporary "fixes" would most certainly relieve some of the current pain.

The focus of my comments were actually more aimed at the incredible wasteful spending/expenses brought to mind by Bob's posts. NO ONE needs a 25,000 sf home. Buy a 10,000sf home and donate the difference to Habit For Humanity or some other worth cause.

I recognize that none of this will happen. Someone could just tell me I should sell my 3000sf house and buy a 1200sf house and donate the difference.

I will get off my soapbox ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Interlude...

https://youtu.be/_gyHNYtLgWo
___

In my first post I mentioned that I was looking @ abandoned drug Lord's mansions. And from there it simply expanded to many more than just drug Lords.

People and entire towns are abandoned. ...Towns that were built near volcanoes...like Vesuvius.

The human tragedy between rich and poor is our heritage since the very beginning of times; trades. We are living it every single day and all across Earth where people live and work. ...Work for survival, for a better life.

With today's advanced world knowledge we are better equipped to deal with the balance of insanity. We're working on it with full energy and dedication. It's a beautiful blue planet we live on, and it's worth taking care of all its inhabitants and not abandon them like those abandoned mansions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am all for ethically and legally building massive wealth - but then share it with those who are less fortunate. Seems that 10% might be a fair amount.

I don't care how much of one's wealth one shares with those who are less fortunate, as long as that "sharing" is voluntary and does not come with a "suggested amount".

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Near where I live ...

https://vimeo.com/194463651
https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/community/deertrail-resort-a-ruins-or-a-lost-dream/

And the last time I was there:

https://youtu.be/YbRNVKiqzUQ

The spot is gorgeous, the river down below is magic, perfect for summer swimming with its multitudes of baths, basins, potholes. The trees are big...some of them. That lodge would have been enormous.

I was there many years ago when most of the structures were built, and I was there again only couple years ago...like in both videos. It's very steep, 90 degree above the river, and roughly hundred feet. You have to be careful with your footsteps; if you fall you break your neck on the rocks below and you most likely die. Few tragic accidents happened over the years, kids jumping and drowning.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are some now, but not many, Bob. The abandoned homes in my area with which I am familiar are not like the abandoned homes in your posts and videos. I'll send you a PM.

That was a good PM you sent me Peter, dead on with this subject.
It's good stuff to share with everyone; I sincerely think.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That was a good PM you sent me Peter, dead on with this subject.
It's good stuff to share with everyone; I sincerely think.

OK Bob. My views on this subject are controversial. People don't agree on how to best address low income housing challenges and the best intentions of local municipalities often make things worse. Who makes decisions and the public/private divide are often at odds.

Hi Bob, there were many abandoned houses twenty five years ago and they became the basis for my rental housing business. There was a time when if one of my houses was left empty for a weekend, thieves would break in and steal all of the copper piping and break the windows. I inspected abandoned homes with protection and no real estate broker. Those houses have gone from abandoned, boarded up drug dens to clean, safer, family communities for low income working people. The neighborhoods are safer if not much cleaner. It is a real turn around story which benefitted from the housing pressure in the greater Boston area. Market based, immigrant residents replaced the subsidized population.

Unfortunately, margins and profits are rapidly disappearing as the cities increasingly tax the owners to pay for the generous and underfunded pensions of retired municipal employees and health care and salaries for current employees. It is a common story. City services are being cut while taxes keep going up. Garbage collection is no longer free but is now fee based and an additional cost. Roads are broken. Owners must raise rents to pay for increasing taxes and utilities. Rents are high and people are starting to overcrowd the units because they can't afford to move. Maintenance, the one discretionary cost, suffers and the buildings are starting to look run down again. With lower profits come lower values, and less incentive to invest/maintain/improve. The trend is clear. If margins go much lower, prices will go down, some houses may become abandoned again as owners walk away creating new opportunities for others to begin the cycle all over again, just with a much lower cost basis.

The abandoned homes in which I invested are nothing like the abandoned homes in your many posts. Nor are the neighborhoods similar.

Sincerely,
Peter

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I always appreciate Peter's input, he's got a lot of eye opening experience and information when it comes to this stuff.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I always appreciate Peter's input, he's got a lot of eye opening experience and information when it comes to this stuff.

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing