How do we hear??

xero

Nov 3, 2016
Hello all,

I am not sure how we hear from a medical /scientific standpoint but i do believe that while infinitely varied because of the uniqueness of humans, there are cultural responses to sound that are imposed that are different. I have thought about this on a number of occasions in the past but i started to think about it again because of a video on mono stereo featuring an interview with Rainer Webber of Kaiser Acoustics and Maskai Ashizawa. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOdH4zjQApI&feature=youtu.be

I find this alliance curious and would love help with any additional insight. If what I said above is true, and I have no way of proving that it is, what are the overlapping agreements on what makes "good" sound? I think that these cross cultural collaborations speak volumes! The other challenges here is the understanding and agreement on the meaning of terms.

- What characteristics of Kondo wire are at play here?
- Is it the wire specifically or the sameness of the. Wire from transformer > internal amp wire > to speaker wire > to internal speaker wire > to ribbon tweeter transformer wire ........ We might be getting into the weeds here but there just might be something to "sameness".
- To the ears of Rainer and the ears of Maskai what are the characteristics of sound that they find important.
- Do the 2 align on all aspects of reproduction?
- Are the areas of nonalignment cultural?

I realize that this is all speculation and neither company has any forum representation here but this is a forum and i am curious about the thoughts of the many.

thanks
Xero

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I use my ears, but that's just me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some people on this forum, through their backsides

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In the case of the Kaiser kawero loudspeakers certainly not with measurement Gear.
My god what a horrible mid tw. Transition

xero

Nov 3, 2016
In the case of the Kaiser kawero loudspeakers certainly not with measurement Gear.
My god what a horrible mid tw. Transition

I have not heard all of the kaiser products and my response was not in support of Kaiser or Kondo per se. It was a more open ended question about the intersection of cultures and ther influence on how we hear, what we focus on as listeners and what that might say as we tune our systems. Kaiser could have had any wire built into the transformer for the ribbon tweeter, internal wiring, speaker cable, amp wire and transformer wire in the amp... but they chose to use kondo. I thought that it might be an interesting conversation. clearly it is not. but that is ok.

cheers,
xero

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hello all,

I am not sure how we hear from a medical /scientific standpoint but i do believe that while infinitely varied because of the uniqueness of humans, there are cultural responses to sound that are imposed that are different. I have thought about this on a number of occasions in the past but i started to think about it again because of a video on mono stereo featuring an interview with Rainer Webber of Kaiser Acoustics and Maskai Ashizawa. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOdH4zjQApI&feature=youtu.be

I find this alliance curious and would love help with any additional insight. If what I said above is true, and I have no way of proving that it is, what are the overlapping agreements on what makes "good" sound? I think that these cross cultural collaborations speak volumes! The other challenges here is the understanding and agreement on the meaning of terms.

- What characteristics of Kondo wire are at play here?
- Is it the wire specifically or the sameness of the. Wire from transformer > internal amp wire > to speaker wire > to internal speaker wire > to ribbon tweeter transformer wire ........ We might be getting into the weeds here but there just might be something to "sameness".
- To the ears of Rainer and the ears of Maskai what are the characteristics of sound that they find important.
- Do the 2 align on all aspects of reproduction?
- Are the areas of nonalignment cultural?

I realize that this is all speculation and neither company has any forum representation here but this is a forum and i am curious about the thoughts of the many.

thanks
Xero

I think it’s an interesting point about cultural difference of Audio priority

You also need to consider different way homes and rooms are built in different parts of the world

I am not touching the kondo wire issue, seems a small element in a larger issue

xero

Nov 3, 2016
I think it’s an interesting point about cultural difference of Audio priority

You also need to consider different way homes and rooms are built in different parts of the world

I am not touching the kondo wire issue, seems a small element in a larger issue

Thanks for the response. It would seem that it is very easy to get lost in the technical issues ( things that might be quantifiable ) rather than enter a zone of subjectivity. As a Photography teacher it is the place we play in the classroom, so i am quite used to it. the issue of cultural conditioning to sound is real as is the composition of living spaces.

I thank you for you considered response.

Cheers

X

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing