ANY speaker out there (other than Horns) that can match $999 Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Dynamics?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I imagine the $999 Zu model lacks resolution and refinement, but is there anything out there even close, other than the big horns, that match its dynamics, snappiness, and impact?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I imagine the $999 Zu model lacks resolution and refinement, but is there anything out there even close, other than the big horns, that match its dynamics, snappiness, and impact?

I TOLD you not to read too many of Marc's posts. You begin to feel sleepy.. sleepy... sleepy... And then bang you wake up and you are under his hypnotic spell

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

The Alexia 2s do it well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Zus are actually over 2k for the pair. That said, I really admire what Clayton Shaw has been able to do for very little money. I believe he was behind Emerald Physics. Now he has Spatial Audio.

Even the Baby M2 can party hard. In my thinking that snap and impact is most easily achieved with a large, light diaphragm on the woofer like the Zus have. The Spatial Audios have got those too.

....correction on my part. The Dirty Weekends are indeed 999 per pair as opposed to the Omen Mk2 I presume Rated PG weekend :D The M2s also appear to be discontinued. Spec wise the M3 Triodemaster is the most similar but is almost 4x the price.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

You mean for the money or at any price?

For the money, the Decware HDTs give a good account of themselves for $2.5K.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I TOLD you not to read too many of Marc's posts. You begin to feel sleepy.. sleepy... sleepy... And then bang you wake up and you are under his hypnotic spell

Hahahaha. I think I'm too much of an audiophile snob to go with Zu in my primary system...

But I haven't heard Marc's system, and I haven't heard the top of the line Zus. From what I understand from Marc, he is completely entranced and emotionally engaged in every listening session - after 20 years of searching for the holy grail. He is completely into the music and not aware of any limitations of the gear. It's what he had always dreamed about. And he's not the only Zu owner to say that. Some guys wait 30-40 years for that experience and stumble upon Zu.

From what I know, Zus are a huge blast rock n roll. Not sure about classical or jazz. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of dirty weekends fro $999 for the pure fun of the hobby. Guys pay more for a cable or an anti-vibration gooter.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
From what I know, Zus are a huge blast rock n roll. Not sure about classical or jazz. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of dirty weekends fro $999 for the pure fun of the hobby. Guys pay more for a cable or an anti-vibration gooter.

Its a fun loudspeaker - have a friend with a pair of the first edition. They sit a bit low, so you have to play with rake a bit. Classical probably isn't their strength.

caesar

May 30, 2010
You mean for the money or at any price?

For the money, the Decware HDTs give a good account of themselves for $2.5K.

Thanks. I think other than horns, I have not heard anything as dynamic. So I am just plain curious. Zu is always compared to high-efficiency Devore. But I think the Zu is more dynamic than Devore (while the Zu cheaper models are supposedly less refined than the Devores).

caesar

May 30, 2010
The Alexia 2s do it well.

Hi Lee,

That will be an interesting comparo. I would put my money on the Zu over any $50-60K box speaker, dynamics-wise, but I don't know....

If Zu is your cup of tea, I would love to read your thoughts on it. Maybe Zu can get you a pair of their top of the line to review and compare against the Wilsons... If Zu didn't sell direct, the prices would be in the ball park.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dynamics are a function of mechanical impedance match with the air, so large diaphragm surface area or horns, and motor strength of the driver.

So if you care about dynamics and price maybe Cerwin Vega or some white-van speakers? :p

If price isn't a factor most any speaker with larger woofer surface area and not open baffle, which is inefficient, should beat them.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm a big Zu fan and they have good parties at RMAF every year. I think their top of the line is around $30K a pair and they are superb. But the Alexias are a different level as they should be for twice the money.

Hi Lee,

That will be an interesting comparo. I would put my money on the Zu over any $50-60K box speaker, dynamics-wise, but I don't know....

If Zu is your cup of tea, I would love to read your thoughts on it. Maybe Zu can get you a pair of their top of the line to review and compare against the Wilsons... If Zu didn't sell direct, the prices would be in the ball park.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm a big Zu fan and they have good parties at RMAF every year. I think their top of the line is around $30K a pair and they are superb. But the Alexias are a different level as they should be for twice the money.

Not in the dynamics arena. :)

And I know this is subjective, not in emotional engagement. I take a $4K Zu over any wilson, excepting alexandria, if I am listening to rock n roll. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, as WBF's resident Zu booster, do you need my input Caesar LOL?
If only you could hear my Zus, you'd lose your (reasonable) bias that they're only good for rock.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey, as WBF's resident Zu booster, do you need my input Caesar LOL?
If only you could hear my Zus, you'd lose your (reasonable) bias that they're only good for rock.

Hi Spirit,
Yes, I am experientially impoverished in that regard.

Also, since you are so familiar with the brand, do you have any thoughts on the original question? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dynamics are a function of mechanical impedance match with the air, so large diaphragm surface area or horns, and motor strength of the driver.

So if you care about dynamics and price maybe Cerwin Vega or some white-van speakers? :p

If price isn't a factor most any speaker with larger woofer surface area and not open baffle, which is inefficient, should beat them.

Hi Dave,
I am not sure what they are doing, but it may be more than the size of the driver, which measures 10". They also use some other engineering trickery... here's some marketing language ...

"The center cylinder (phase plug) in a Zu 10” driver

A machined phase plug assembly, which is not in motion, directly connect to the frame/motor assembly, with both visible and hidden features allowing for the following benefits:

Extending high frequency limits of the driver assembly through a combination of whizzer cone and center pole detail profile and acoustic impedance matching.
MLS diffuser function of pole piece profile and rings aids in the widening of the high frequency (polar plot or beam pattern).
Aids in control of dynamic behavior through diamagnetic shunting (shorting) of spurious B fields.
Zu’s implementation of shunting is regulated, providing virtually no dynamic damping at low level play and increasing logarithmically to maximum in high SPL play.
Dramatic improvement in cooling as the assembly is press fit and uses thermally conductive adhesive. (Only significantly in play when you are pushing huge power, but there nonetheless.)"

and...

"Zu-Griewe driver/box/acoustic loading technology, developed by Sean Casey and the late Ron Griewe, allows improved driver-to-room coupling, fidelity, and bandwidth.

Let us introduce you to Zu’s driver/box/acoustic impedance matching technology. Zu has designed a speaker-driver/box/room loading technology that reduces the acoustic impedance ratio of loudspeaker cone to room, thereby increasing efficiency and reducing cone motion. This original technology significantly widens the usable bandwidth and reduces distortion. It does not introduce distortions common to horn-loaded speakers and is operable through several octaves."

Here's some "white paper stuff"/ marketing:

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-is-a-full-range-driver
https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/tell-me-more-about-zus-10-full-range-driver

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-makes-zu-loudspeakers-so-good

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, it's taken me a long time to crack the Zu combination.
And now I reach for my classical Lps first.
I'd seriously audition Zus further before finally choosing to keep them or dismiss them as rock spkrs only.
So yes, they are rock speakers first, but they're serious all rounders as well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks. I think other than horns, I have not heard anything as dynamic. So I am just plain curious. Zu is always compared to high-efficiency Devore. But I think the Zu is more dynamic than Devore (while the Zu cheaper models are supposedly less refined than the Devores).

caesar- I own Devore Gibbon Xs, but would pick the Zu Druid VI over Devore's O/96 competitor if SET amps and the like is the goal. The O/96 has really plump bass to me. It might work ok for jazz, but when electronica is put on it watch out!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Well, I have heard Zu Druids and another model (can't remember anymore the name) and the HDTs are just as dynamic with a modified Foxtex driver (96db) and good bass to about 40 hz. Another non-horn that is probably as, if not more, dynamic than Zu but somewhat expensive is Horning. Used though, there are some good deals to be had on Hornings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing