ANY speaker out there (other than Horns) that can match $999 Zu Omen Dirty Weekend Dynamics?

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I recently took in a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppy 5.1 and am extremely impressed with the dynamics of these things, even on SE amplifiers. I haven't had a pair of Zu in yet but I imagine the WP5.1 will give them a run for the money.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Dave,
I am not sure what they are doing, but it may be more than the size of the driver, which measures 10". They also use some other engineering trickery... here's some marketing language ...

"The center cylinder (phase plug) in a Zu 10” driver

A machined phase plug assembly, which is not in motion, directly connect to the frame/motor assembly, with both visible and hidden features allowing for the following benefits:

Extending high frequency limits of the driver assembly through a combination of whizzer cone and center pole detail profile and acoustic impedance matching.
MLS diffuser function of pole piece profile and rings aids in the widening of the high frequency (polar plot or beam pattern).
Aids in control of dynamic behavior through diamagnetic shunting (shorting) of spurious B fields.
Zu’s implementation of shunting is regulated, providing virtually no dynamic damping at low level play and increasing logarithmically to maximum in high SPL play.
Dramatic improvement in cooling as the assembly is press fit and uses thermally conductive adhesive. (Only significantly in play when you are pushing huge power, but there nonetheless.)"

and...

"Zu-Griewe driver/box/acoustic loading technology, developed by Sean Casey and the late Ron Griewe, allows improved driver-to-room coupling, fidelity, and bandwidth.

Let us introduce you to Zu’s driver/box/acoustic impedance matching technology. Zu has designed a speaker-driver/box/room loading technology that reduces the acoustic impedance ratio of loudspeaker cone to room, thereby increasing efficiency and reducing cone motion. This original technology significantly widens the usable bandwidth and reduces distortion. It does not introduce distortions common to horn-loaded speakers and is operable through several octaves."

Here's some "white paper stuff"/ marketing:

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-is-a-full-range-driver
https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/tell-me-more-about-zus-10-full-range-driver

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-makes-zu-loudspeakers-so-good

I suspect the bass loading is similar to a TQWT design. This is a really good loading idea if done right...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Dave,
I am not sure what they are doing, but it may be more than the size of the driver, which measures 10". They also use some other engineering trickery... here's some marketing language ...

"The center cylinder (phase plug) in a Zu 10” driver

A machined phase plug assembly, which is not in motion, directly connect to the frame/motor assembly, with both visible and hidden features allowing for the following benefits:

Extending high frequency limits of the driver assembly through a combination of whizzer cone and center pole detail profile and acoustic impedance matching.
MLS diffuser function of pole piece profile and rings aids in the widening of the high frequency (polar plot or beam pattern).
Aids in control of dynamic behavior through diamagnetic shunting (shorting) of spurious B fields.
Zu’s implementation of shunting is regulated, providing virtually no dynamic damping at low level play and increasing logarithmically to maximum in high SPL play.
Dramatic improvement in cooling as the assembly is press fit and uses thermally conductive adhesive. (Only significantly in play when you are pushing huge power, but there nonetheless.)"

and...

"Zu-Griewe driver/box/acoustic loading technology, developed by Sean Casey and the late Ron Griewe, allows improved driver-to-room coupling, fidelity, and bandwidth.

Let us introduce you to Zu’s driver/box/acoustic impedance matching technology. Zu has designed a speaker-driver/box/room loading technology that reduces the acoustic impedance ratio of loudspeaker cone to room, thereby increasing efficiency and reducing cone motion. This original technology significantly widens the usable bandwidth and reduces distortion. It does not introduce distortions common to horn-loaded speakers and is operable through several octaves."

Here's some "white paper stuff"/ marketing:

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-is-a-full-range-driver
https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/tell-me-more-about-zus-10-full-range-driver

https://www.zuaudio.com/questions-list/2013/8/18/what-makes-zu-loudspeakers-so-good

I recently took in a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppy 5.1 and am extremely impressed with the dynamics of these things, even on SE amplifiers. I haven't had a pair of Zu in yet but I imagine the WP5.1 will give them a run for the money.

Ummm...doubtful...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Not in the dynamics arena. :)

And I know this is subjective, not in emotional engagement. I take a $4K Zu over any wilson, excepting alexandria, if I am listening to rock n roll. :)

You must be thinking of the older designs. It doesn't sound like any of the newer ones I have heard.

caesar

May 30, 2010

I really think you should hear it. And I imagine your Mastersound amps and integrateds can work as a great complementary product. Like chocolate and peanut butter.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, it's taken me a long time to crack the Zu combination.
And now I reach for my classical Lps first.
I'd seriously audition Zus further before finally choosing to keep them or dismiss them as rock spkrs only.
So yes, they are rock speakers first, but they're serious all rounders as well.

I don't doubt it one bit. I'm just experientially impoverished.

And what is really amazing, they start at $999 and give one intoxicating tone density and top notch dynamics

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ll wait untill the end of the year , they Will be on discount for something like 699.

Damn ceasar i never thought you were in the hifibizz, lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing