The Best Picture 4K OLED Monitor Display | Sony

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Color consistent mastering monitors with all the color translators for pros? Not really necessary for consumer purposes. The rotgut OLEDs are fine enough.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Color consistent mastering monitors with all the color translators for pros? Not really necessary for consumer purposes. The rotgut OLEDs are fine enough.

I have a more modestly priced color calibrated monitor for my photography (i'm no pro, but like good tools), and a Sony 4K OLED A1E 65" in the same room upstairs in my barn.

i'll take the OLED all day for watching anything moving. the calibrated monitor is not close in way as far as enjoyment. one is a tool with a specific purpose, one is for enjoyment.

and just bought a JVC RS4500K front projector for my HT in the house. it will be installed Tuesday. looking forward to some 10 foot wide movie watching.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What amazed me is the 4K HDR 43 inch TCL LED that I got recently for $250 as a monitor to replace a 1080p Vizio in Pleasanton, with the Vizio going into the kitchen for my wife's viewing. The TCL has incredible picture quality, close to the Sony which ran 250 percent higher price, and excellent blacks. Features are complete, but perhaps a bit trimmed back compared to my 43 inch 4K HDR Sony in Santa Cruz. However, the internet features are actually a bit better.

I assume with that level of picture quality in the TCL, the sets must be subsidized to sell the Roku stuff.

Still, the best overall experience is dark room and 120 inch screen with projector and complete surround sound.

Yes, the 55 inch OLED in Santa Cruz has amazing saturated colors and blacks. Watching the recent lava flows in 4k HDR is definitely eye popping.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's why I'm keeping an eye open on Mike's new front projector.

TCL is good value for quality picture. Some even come with Dolby Vision's support for a song.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have a more modestly priced color calibrated monitor for my photography (i'm no pro, but like good tools), and a Sony 4K OLED A1E 65" in the same room upstairs in my barn.

i'll take the OLED all day for watching anything moving. the calibrated monitor is not close in way as far as enjoyment. one is a tool with a specific purpose, one is for enjoyment.

and just bought a JVC RS4500K front projector for my HT in the house. it will be installed Tuesday. looking forward to some 10 foot wide movie watching.

Congrats. I have this projector and enjoy it immensely almost every day.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats. I have this projector and enjoy it immensely almost every day.

Ian,

do you use the Lumagen Pro and Panamorph Paladin DCR lens? i'm trying to decide whether I need those. I love HDR on my Sony A1E and want to make sure I have sufficient brightness to make it pop. that's why I did that...…I loved how it looked and I figured if I could get that 10 feet wide i'd be all over it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian,

do you use the Lumagen Pro and Panamorph Paladin DCR lens? i'm trying to decide whether I need those. I love HDR on my Sony A1E and want to make sure I have sufficient brightness to make it pop. that's why I did that...…I loved how it looked and I figured if I could get that 10 feet wide i'd be all over it.

Mike, I have the Lumagen Pro, but not the Paladin. I was considering the Paladin when AVS had the special deal but the only person that I knew that had one was an AVS salesperson. I'm a nut for HDR myself extra and brightness is nice to have, but I would only employ the Paladin if I wasn't using the Lumagen to do the tone-mapping. The Lumagen converts to SDR where brightness is not an issue. I go back and forth between using the Lumagen to tone-map vs the JVC's native HDR mapping or custom curves. Because HDR is all over the map in terms of mastering, there are some titles where I prefer bypassing the Lumagen's tone mapping but I am very picky and most wouldn't notice the difference.

I also use the Lumagen as my main video switcher (my Classe SSP-800 pre/processor doesn't do 4k) as well as aspect ratio control (instead of changing lens memories to 'zoom' to each image size). My screen is 2.35:1 and 11 feet wide. When you say 10 feet wide, do you mean 16x9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio or something wider (e.g. 2.35:1, 2:40:1)?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Some of the video nutters claim that even the 5000 lumen Sony laser is only threshold bright enough for some HDR around 130" diagonal. The Sonys can be stacked up to four units and have programming to converge the images.

I personally find HDR a bit redundant even for a reasonably bright projected image. There is an ethos to projection that can be lost in the shuffle there, may as well just get a super bright direct view. It gives the philes something to cavil, ****, parse and moan over for a while, though.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mike, I have the Lumagen Pro, but not the Paladin. I was considering the Paladin when AVS had the special deal but the only person that I knew that had one was an AVS salesperson. I'm a nut for HDR myself extra and brightness is nice to have, but I would only employ the Paladin if I wasn't using the Lumagen to do the tone-mapping. The Lumagen converts to SDR where brightness is not an issue. I go back and forth between using the Lumagen to tone-map vs the JVC's native HDR mapping or custom curves. Because HDR is all over the map in terms of mastering, there are some titles where I prefer bypassing the Lumagen's tone mapping but I am very picky and most wouldn't notice the difference.

I also use the Lumagen as my main video switcher (my Classe SSP-800 pre/processor doesn't do 4k) as well as aspect ratio control (instead of changing lens memories to 'zoom' to each image size). My screen is 2.35:1 and 11 feet wide. When you say 10 feet wide, do you mean 16x9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio or something wider (e.g. 2.35:1, 2:40:1)?

Ian, you're referring to the pros: https://avscience.com/ ...correct?
_____

Extra: ? https://avscience.com/2017/02/jvc-dla-rs4500/
? https://avscience.com/2018/01/lumagen-radiancepro/

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Some of the video nutters claim that even the 5000 lumen Sony laser is only threshold bright enough for some HDR around 130" diagonal. The Sonys can be stacked up to four units and have programming to converge the images.

I personally find HDR a bit redundant even for a reasonably bright projected image. There is an ethos to projection that can be lost in the shuffle there, may as well just get a super bright direct view. It gives the philes something to cavil, ****, parse and moan over for a while, though.

my throw is only 19 feet, with 124" diag (115" x 48") on a 2:40 ratio and Studiotek 100 screen. I sit at 11 feet from my screen. which is why I'm thinking about the Lumagen Pro and the Paladin DCR lens, to add light for HDR. but right now it's only in my mind, as I have not yet personally experienced it.

with my modestly sized screen I can likely get by without those for now. but am allowing for them when I can do it.

I read that the JVC has advantages over the big Sony, especially in the screen size I use. better blacks and equal or better lens. my JVC will be in a closet so the noise is not a factor.

agree on the magical HDR on the direct view A1E.

I'm using the 203 Oppo + the Anthem AVM60 processor.....and adding the Revel C763C Atmos ceiling speakers to my 7.1 set-up.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

It sure isn't redundant to me. Regular old blu-ray just looks flat to me now. Oh and HDR isn't brighter per se. On the whole it's darker. But a nice dark. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
my throw is only 19 feet, with 124" diag (115" x 48") on a 2:40 ratio and Studiotek 100 screen. I sit at 11 feet from my screen. which is why I'm thinking about the Lumagen Pro and the Paladin DCR lens, to add light for HDR. but right now it's only in my mind, as I have not yet personally experienced it.

with my modestly sized screen I can likely get by without those for now. but am allowing for them when I can do it.

I read that the JVC has advantages over the big Sony, especially in the screen size I use. better blacks and equal or better lens. my JVC will be in a closet so the noise is not a factor.

agree on the magical HDR on the direct view A1E.

I'm using the 203 Oppo + the Anthem AVM60 processor.....and adding the Revel C763C Atmos ceiling speakers to my 7.1 set-up.

I have a Studiotek 130 so I have more light than you even though my screen is larger. Still I think you'll be fine if you use high laser for HDR (you'll definitely want mid laser for SDR).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have a Studiotek 130 so I have more light than you even though my screen is larger. Still I think you'll be fine if you use high laser for HDR (you'll definitely want mid laser for SDR).

Kris Deering (who reviewed the JVC and other's) lives locally and has helped me spec the gear, and he will do the final set-up in a month or so. I wanted a higher gain screen, but he thought overall the 100 would be best in my room for ultimate resolution from that lens.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Kris Deering (who reviewed the JVC and other's) lives locally and has helped me spec the gear, and he will do the final set-up in a month or so. I wanted a higher gain screen, but he thought overall the 100 would be best in my room for ultimate resolution from that lens.

You're in excellent hands!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The laser projectors by all counts are quite wonderful, but not always because of the HDR issues, which are a ways from being resolved. They allow for an entirely electronically controlled iris effect. The phosphors apparently render fantastic colors with better, sharper illumination as the picture gets brighter, even with the same lens.

Sony has apparently cooked up some compensation software to bring HDR better performance within the limitations of the projectors.

Even the mighty 5000es Sony doesn't have the nit chops to render 2k nit or 4k nit mastered material (themselves not that common in discs) without either blasting the whites or crushing the blacks. Extending color palette requires filtering, which throws away lumens.

That doesn't mean that overall the picture quality isn't going to be fantastic and much improved with lasers over bulbs.

I like projection and think it is a different perception to cast an image on a reflected screen vs. direct viewing. Projection seems to generate a bit of abstraction, impressionism and alpha waves more so than direct view. I think projectors should play to their strengths, rather than trying to "compete" with direct view, so I don't really see HDR as being that important with them.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think projectors should play to their strengths, rather than trying to "compete" with direct view, so I don't really see HDR as being that important with them.

I think that's a narrow minded view. What HDR brings to front projection that is important is simply a more natural color palette. It looks so much more like film now because the the wider color gamut allows for a much less 'lossy' picture. Closer to analog.

It's not about looking like a OLED. It's about not being limited to 8 bit color. On a large screen, the difference is staggering. There is so much more depth to the picture and it's more organic, less digital looking. That hardly betrays any projection ideals since actual film wasn't limited to 8 bit color.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing