Standardization And The Use Of Audyssey

Gedlee

WBF Technical Expert
Jul 21, 2010
Novi, MI
Markus

Agreed. But what to do in the situation where these approaches are not used? Its important to know where the technology should go, but its just as important to deal with it as it exists today. I would seriously doubt that "standardization" will ever happen.

Jose Almagro

Dec 10, 2010
Madrid (Spain)
www.mundohifi.com
Standardization does happen right now. Audyssey already made it into mixing facilities.
I don't think you can make standards that easy, of course you can make recommendations. Psychoacoustics is not an easy field and you can't have reliable measurements of what's audible or not, disappointing or pleasant. I also think that DSP is not a good idea to deal with reflections as they are highly dependent on position and miking. Measuring with a dummy shows you how difficult are things in real world.

Last edited:

markus

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think you can make standards that easy, of course you can make recommendations. Psychoacoustics is not an easy field and you can't have reliable measurements of what's audible or not, disappointing or pleasant. I also think that DSP is not a good idea to deal with reflections as they are highly dependent on position and miking. Measuring with a dummy shows you how difficult are things in real world.

Audyssey aligns sound reproduction conditions of control rooms and domestic listening spaces as close as it can. This is something that has NEVER happened before in audio history. It's debateable if their algorithm is "right" but do you know what MultEQ really does? I read their papers but they don't disclose the underlying psychoacoustic assumptions. Nevertheless it's undeniable that Audyssey started a standardization process.

Jose Almagro

Dec 10, 2010
Madrid (Spain)
www.mundohifi.com
Audyssey aligns sound reproduction conditions of control rooms and domestic listening spaces as close as it can. This is something that has NEVER happened before in audio history. It's debateable if their algorithm is "right" but do you know what MultEQ really does?
No I don't, but I'll be glad to hear what's that thing never done before.

markus

Jan 18, 2011
No I don't, but I'll be glad to hear what's that thing never done before.

1. Automated reference level calibration
2. Equal loudness compensation
3. Automated timbre matching
4. Automated room/speaker correction

Jose Almagro

Dec 10, 2010
Madrid (Spain)
www.mundohifi.com
1. Automated reference level calibration
2. Equal loudness compensation
3. Automated timbre matching
4. Automated room/speaker correction

I'm sorry I don't understand anything...
1. Reference level? Like Katz's K System?
2. You mean it does an equalization according to Fletcher-Munson curves? That would be terribly awful!
3. Timbre matching?? That means absolutely distortion free or what?
4. Room and speaker correction? There are some things you can't change by DSP and I don't think they are doing anything different than a FIR or IIR

Anyway, a Standard should give you a level of requirements to make you know if you're compliant or not and I haven't heard any of them.

markus

Jan 18, 2011
This discussion is pretty far off topic so the mods might want to move it to a new thread...

I'm sorry I don't understand anything...
1. Reference level? Like Katz's K System?

Don't know what the K System does but Bob's reference level is derived from the reference level as defined by the movie industry. Audyssey uses that too.

2. You mean it does an equalization according to Fletcher-Munson curves? That would be terribly awful!

No, because those curves and those from ISO 226:2003 are based on pure tones and not on complex signals like music or speech. The curves used by Audyssey are derived from their own research. Equal-loudness compensation is vital for accurate sound reproduction.

3. Timbre matching?? That means absolutely distortion free or what?

No, that simply means aligning the in-room response to a predefined curve.

4. Room and speaker correction? There are some things you can't change by DSP and I don't think they are doing anything different than a FIR or IIR

Send me your email via PM if you're interested in papers.

Anyway, a Standard should give you a level of requirements to make you know if you're compliant or not and I haven't heard any of them.

Audyssey creates a de facto standard by applying the same rules to content creation and sound reproduction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing