Ypsilon DAC 1000 SE silver edition

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Having heard in Munich so many nice set ups, there is always some, you remember longer , than others .

Very often the set up from the Greek Company Ypsilon is one of those.

This year they had the new DAC 1000 silver edition on display, first time a Ypsilon with DSD 512 usb connectivity .

Ypsilon is popular because of their unique discrete R2R DAC architecture.

Price point of the DAC is 34.000,-eur in Europe, so it will become a direct competitor to the well known Lampizator Pacific DAC.

My idea was a direct comparison of both, but due to delivery problems from Lampizator this failed timing wise.

But I received the Munich Demo version of the Ypsilon DAC 1000 SE for some days, so time enough to enjoy the performance.

( I only listen to Red Book standard CD from an Oracle CD 2000 CD drive)

After 2 h the Ypsilon was "arrived" and started to make wonderful music, tonal the DAC reminds me on Lampizator Golden Gate first generation with some more resolution.

My current Lampizator Golden Gate II plays a little bit more lean compared to GG I , so it was an interesting comparison between GG2 and DAC 1000.

If you like an enriched and full body soundstage , the Ypsilon is the clear winner, the GG2 is more fast and more dynamic, but also more analytic.

If GG1 was the perfect match in your set up and you are looking for the next step, the Ypsilon DAC 1000 is a DAC to consider.

I hope, that I will receive the Lampizator Pacific DAC beginning of July, that I can continue my comparison.

Pacific DAC and Ypsilon DAC 1000 are on the same point, so Pacific should outperform GGII clearly. The Ypsilon was mostly nearly on GG2 performance level with GG1 tonality, so difficult to judge, what finally ist the best.

This is too much depending on the individual set up.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The lean ness of the GG2 comes from the Mundorf as opposed to the Jupiter or the duelund in GG1.

But which valves did you do the compare with?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Ypsilon gear including the DAC 1000SE was used to present the new Wilson Benesh flagship speaker, the new "Eminence"
I spent some time in this room, as I liked the performance a lot.

I had/have Mundorf caps in GG1 and GG2 , so no difference from that side.

Tubes were Fullmusic 300b SE and KR 242

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Thanks for the insight in the Ypsilon dac.

Ive always enjoyed the Ypsilon sound. 34keuro is pretty steep though.

Aries Cerat Kassandra Dac is almost half the price. I would be interested in a comparison with it.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
it is always fun to compare "big" DACs, unfortunately the Kassandra DAC is rarely available in Germany

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
There is in fact a non-silver edition coming at considerably less coin, this could be the sweet spot in their lineup!
Great to see Ypsilon finally implementing R2R, USB and DSD!

I was impressed with the DAC1000 performance at Jürgen's, I will order the non-silver edition once available.
Small amendment to the above: it will "only" convert up to 4x DSD.

Christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Ypsilon gear including the DAC 1000SE was used to present the new Wilson Benesh flagship speaker, the new "Eminence"

Don't like the full music. Why don't you try the special 45s? All the horns people here are using the 45s

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

The Benesch room was a bit of surprise for me. At Bristol hi-fi shows the Benesch room invariably sounds crap. That Munich set up had some merit. I wasn't mad on it but it was definitely (for me) the best I have heard WB kit sound. I had written the speakers off as an expensive joke at the Bristol show.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Don't like the full music. Why don't you try the special 45s? All the horns people here are using the 45s

Because you can't buy them anymore? I'm not seeing them pop up on ebay.

FWIW I had some TJ Full Music 2A3s until one broke. Cheap to buy, but the mid range was actually really quite nice tonally. Bass not the best, but that mid was definitely nice.

The TJs shakti is using are quite pricey. I wouldn't mind trying them.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
it is always fun to compare "big" DACs, unfortunately the Kassandra DAC is rarely available in Germany

Depending on where you are in Germany, it might be possible to arrange something for you to hear Kassandra.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
The Benesch room was a bit of surprise for me. At Bristol hi-fi shows the Benesch room invariably sounds crap. That Munich set up had some merit. I wasn't mad on it but it was definitely (for me) the best I have heard WB kit sound. I had written the speakers off as an expensive joke at the Bristol show.

I agree, and the Wilson Benesch room at Munich was good, but it was definitely not near the top of that show, some way off in fact. It still sounded too 'hifi' to me, not real enough. And I assume those speakers are expensive, didn't translate to great sound....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing