Subaru Eyesight

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The lease was up on our daily driver (Toyota RAV4) and the wife and I were looking for a long-term vehicle to purchase. We all know as father time creeps upon us, our senses and reaction times diminish.
We felt Tesla still has a lot of work to do and honestly, I wanted something more dependable on long trips. Enter the Subaru Eyesight system.

We purchased a new Subaru with the Eyesight system and I can tell you IT WORKS!! If you are unfamiliar with the system, it has Collision Avoidance, Lane Keep Assist, Adaptive Cruise and a slew of other features too numerous to mention. It's not Auto-Pilot like Tesla, and besides, if I wanted that, I'd hire a town car. What it does do is give you peace of mind that if you do have a momentary lapse of judgement, it keeps you safe. Plus, it's one of the best all-weather vehicles made!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The lease was up on our daily driver (Toyota RAV4) and the wife and I were looking for a long-term vehicle to purchase. We all know as father time creeps upon us, our senses and reaction times diminish.
We felt Tesla still has a lot of work to do and honestly, I wanted something more dependable on long trips. Enter the Subaru Eyesight system.

We purchased a new Subaru with the Eyesight system and I can tell you IT WORKS!! If you are unfamiliar with the system, it has Collision Avoidance, Lane Keep Assist, Adaptive Cruise and a slew of other features too numerous to mention. It's not Auto-Pilot like Tesla, and besides, if I wanted that, I'd hire a town car. What it does do is give you peace of mind that if you do have a momentary lapse of judgement, it keeps you safe. Plus, it's one of the best all-weather vehicles made!

Thanks. My wife's lease is up and as I am closing in on retirement mode, I too am looking for a "reasonably priced" car for her as it is basically for her and the dogs. I am considering Outback, CRV, Volvo XC40, 2019 RDX and can't wait for the new RAV4.

If you can post some updates would appreciate it.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
We have a 2018 outback 3.6 and we are so pleased with the car. Several of the eyesight features can be adjusted or turned off. We leave them on and they have be very useful. The fit and finish on the car are much better than a Suburu from years ago. Subaru’s have always been a good value. It’s a great car and little competes with it without spending a lot more. I was considering the new Audi allroad and I think the outback 3.6 is a better car regardless of the price difference.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My 2004 Subaru WRX wagon turned out to be my favorite car. Built as solid as any of the luxury makes I had (Infiniti, Lexus) and is still solid 13 and a half years later.

Of course, it looks like a silly little station wagon/chick repellant, but as a driving machine, you learn to luv the little guy.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
been thinking about what is an appropriate and respectful response as a guy who sells Honda's and thinks that Honda Sensing is overall superior to Subaru Eyesight....and Bruce is my friend.

and after considering posting a bunch of comparative information, I think it's better to just mention that Subaru 'Eyesight' has it's strengths and weaknesses, and that the other major players have their safety suite of accident avoidance features. then leave it up to the reader/buyer to investigate if they choose.

the Subaru is very popular in our market and makes a fine car. and I'm happy that Bruce found a car he likes.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
the Subaru is very popular in our market and makes a fine car. and I'm happy that Bruce found a car he likes.

well you know Mike that I did say "daily driver". I'm the retired one..... the wife is the daily driver and this is what she chose. I chose the AMG, she chose the Subaru..... blame her!!! :p

Besides... look at that driver's seat in the photo. I could never fit that close to the steering wheel!!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

Overall all new "collision avoidance systems" are good. They improve safety one way or another. :)
The main differences is the "graphic" presentation of the information they gather. Just look at the new Audi A8 and its gazillion screens and systems.

And Subarus are very nice cars. Kinda pricey in Germany.
Enjoy your new ride Bruce !

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Overall all new "collision avoidance systems" are good. They improve safety one way or another. :)
The main differences is the "graphic" presentation of the information they gather. Just look at the new Audi A8 and its gazillion screens and systems.

And Subarus are very nice cars. Kinda pricey in Germany.
Enjoy your new ride Bruce !

actually the 'collision avoidance systems' main differences are how they gather data. and in how effective (break through the drivers stupor) they notify you or take over. graphical presentation means little if you are upside down in a ditch. or the engine is sitting in your lap. unlikely any screen message will allow you to react in time to the worst problems.

some are 'all camera' (Subaru), if you can't see it, the system can't either.

some combine radar and camera (Honda)......so cover more circumstances....and weather conditions.

some only flash warning lights, some wiggle the wheel to alert you....or steer you back into your lane. some stop the car, some stop the car in reverse.

there are lots of choices and methods.

personally for myself I don't care for any of it.....at this moment in time. I prefer a car to allow me to keep a watch. I don't want my cruise control to slow down unless I want to.....or the wheel to wiggle.

OTOH for my wife or daughter I want them to have every toy or whistle. and in a few years maybe me too. but not now.

Last edited:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
actually the 'collision avoidance systems' main differences are how they gather data. and in what way they notify you or take over. graphical presentation means little if you are upside down in a ditch. or the engine is sitting in your lap.

some are 'all camera' (Subaru), if you can't see it, the system can't either.

some combine radar and camera (Honda)......so cover more circumstances.

some only flash warning lights, some wiggle the wheel to alert you. some stop the car, some stop the car in reverse.

there are lots of choices and methods.

I didnt express myself properly. I shouldnt have written graphic presentation.
It should have been user interaction methods, that you touch upon. (Vibrate your seat or E-Brake or flash a symbol in your HUD).

In my opinion the more redundant the system the better. Mercedes has near and far + intermediate radar plus cameras, infra-red and ultrasonic sensors. :eek:
As long as it keeps you out of the ditch :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
well you know Mike that I did say "daily driver". I'm the retired one..... the wife is the daily driver and this is what she chose. I chose the AMG, she chose the Subaru..... blame her!!! :p

Besides... look at that driver's seat in the photo. I could never fit that close to the steering wheel!!

IMHO you should congratulate her - your wife bough the car she really preferred, independently of any bunches of comparative information. Audiophiles do it permanently and no one blames them ... :D

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Mercedes has near and far + intermediate radar plus cameras, infra-red and ultrasonic sensors. :eek:
As long as it keeps you out of the ditch :p

My Mercedes has many of these features, but at 4X the price, you should expect that. It’s good that manufacturers are implementing these safety features in more affordable automobiles. It’s especially good that the IIHS recognizes this which makes insurance rates much lower. There was a $450 price difference in Eyesight vs. non Eyesight vehicles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing