Is SACD playback or ripping bit perfect?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is known since long that playback of CDs with good readers is bit perfect, unless the disk is badly damaged. The error correction mechanisms are well known, some players had counters that indicated the number of fully corrected errors, interpolation corrections and uncorrected errors. Ripping software gives us statistics concerning errors - bit perfect in almost all the CDs I ripped.

However I could not find similar information concerning SACD or DSD files ripped using either the PS3 or the Pioneer DVD player. What level of accuracy do we get on this format?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have quite a few raw DSD files that were produced on SACD. The files were converted to a DSD-Edit master file and stamped to the SACD.
I've done so much testing on this to see if your questions were valid. I can only say that to my findings, the PS3 rips were different from my Sonoma rips, which the DSD files were edited on.

Secondly, playing back through a SACD player changes the files relative to what filters are present on audio output. Every (?) SACD player has filters to block the freq. above 25k and depending on the kinds (slopes) of the filters, depends on what you get on output.

Last edited:

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
I have quite a few raw DSD files that were produced on SACD. The files were converted to a DSD-Edit master file and stamped to the SACD.
I've done so much testing on this to see if your questions were valid. I can only say that to my findings, the PS3 rips were different from my Sonoma rips, which the DSD files were edited on.

Interesting, .. what about the commercial online shops selling DSD titles?
I thought they are using quite the same 'technology'

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Interesting, .. what about the commercial online shops selling DSD titles?
I thought they are using quite the same 'technology'

We transferred over 4000 titles for HDtracks the past 8yr. I don't know what the other folks are doing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We transferred over 4000 titles for HDtracks the past 8yr. I don't know what the other folks are doing.

What type of original format were the sources you transferred? Is your studio participation "tagged" anyway in the files?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
To go back to the OP question, I've ripped SACDs with my PS3. Occasionally I've done the same SACD twice. The ripped files haven't been exactly the same size, so I conclude that at least one of them was not copied bit perfect. Larry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
To go back to the OP question, I've ripped SACDs with my PS3. Occasionally I've done the same SACD twice. The ripped files haven't been exactly the same size, so I conclude that at least one of them was not copied bit perfect. Larry

This is disturbing. Effectively I could not find exact details about SACD readout errors and statistics concerning it. I found that the SACD utilizes similar error correction to DVD-Video, but little else.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

There could be other factors at play, you can't really guarantee that's why. You would need a better way to compare them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was speaking of SACD's. (...)

Even more disturbing. Are you saying that when we get DSD files from HDtracks they are probably coming from SACD ripping, not from the DSD exact master files?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Even more disturbing. Are you saying that when we get DSD files from HDtracks they are probably coming from SACD ripping, not from the DSD exact master files?

Correct. We had the DSD master files of several albums and material was bit perfect the way we did the transfer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing