Rebuild A90 or new Per Windfeld Ti?

Wrm57

Oct 30, 2012
Hi Folks,

I posted this question on Audiogon to no response. Hopefully, users here will have more experience to share. My venerable A90 went tits up, or rather, diamond down: the stylus was pulled off by blue tack during cleaning (a practice recommended by Peter Ledermann). So I’m debating whether to have Ortofon rebuild it (again) or trade it in for a new Per Windfeld Ti. The cost difference to me would be $750 more for the Windfeld. Has anyone compared the two? Thoughts on the Windfeld Ti would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bill, Sorry to hear that you had this problem with your A90. Blue Tack for cleaning...YIKES!!! Remember what business Peter Ledermann is in...just saying!:eek:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Perhaps you can check the cost of having it repaired by Soundsmith.

I have no experience with the Per Windfeld Ti.

Wrm57

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually, I had this A90 retipped by Peter a year ago and he did fine job, attaching a new Replicant 100 stylus to the old cantilever at a cost of $450, IIRC. Before that, some four years ago, I had Ortofon do their full rebuild on it (yes, I listen to a lot of records). Sonically, I cannot say with any conviction which was the better outcome. So Soundsmith is a good option, yes, but at this point, if I'm going to keep listening to this A90, I think I'd have Ortofon do their number again. For all practical purposes, they give you back a new cartridge in the old housing, with a new serial number and everything.

The bigger question for me is whether I might prefer the Per Windfeld Ti. On paper, it looks essentially like an A95 in its internals and components, housed in a different body. Everyone I know who has spent time with both the A90 and A95 prefers the latter. But there's not much info out there on how the Windfeld Ti sounds.

I hasten to add that I don't think Peter's work or advice were at fault. He recommended dropping the needle gently on flattened Blue Tack, spread on a business card or something, before each play. That's pretty safe as long as you're not impatient. I moved the card slightly with the needle embedded and that did the deed. My fault, really.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Fremer’s review of the Windfeld Ti is pretty much spot on. If you want more meat on the bones without loss of transparency, and your preferred listening is to acoustic instruments and vocals, it’s the cartridge for you. I prefer it to the A95. If you’re a rocker, you may want to look elsewhere.

Wrm57

Oct 30, 2012
I was not aware of Fremer's review, so thanks for the tip. I must say, it seems like my kind of cartridge.

Wrm57

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing