Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are there more differences than similarities between CH Precision and other top Swiss brands?

Hi, I have been traveling and just notice this thread.
    In my case change from tubes to SS initially came mostly due to amp reliability. Ref 750SE are great, but it has 17 KT150 tubes and that is a lot to manage. To really find 16 well matched tubes is not easy and at the end only ARC was able to supply them. When decided to change amps, opted to change pre amps as well in order to mantain as good synergy as possible among components. The choice for CH started by their phono section, which is among the best there is out there today, and from there choose the other components. I was sold on the amp when I listened to it at Priaptor’s. I was familiar with his system and liked how the CH amp raised the level of his already excellent set up in ways I was not expecting. Soulution was not really I choice for me because they do not have a really relevant phono section. Now after spending some more time with my CH gear, can say that ARC is still really great, but they are more of a “one sound” kind of set up (even though a good one) and CH has a lot more range of presentations depending on the source and ancillaries. What matters most to me which is the lifelike, lifefull presentation of ARC is still there with CH, but you also get more extention, definition and details to go with. Finally, CH seems to go great lenghts into having the least possible signature on its components, which I like because then you can steer your system in the direction ypu like.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Unfortunately I have to agree with this statement - it is also my experience with SS, and one reason why usually I avoid it. The cost of electricity is not significant but the heat of, for example, two Lamm's M1.2ref left continuously on is unbearable to me. Do you know what is the idle power consumption of the M1?
    My CH Precision A1 draws 70W on idle (and while playing at low-moderate volume) and stays stable around 45-50C. I suspect the M1 is close, maybe 2x or less? You can double-check with CH Precision; I did before getting my A1, got a response from Florian Cossy himself on a Sunday morning!
    VPI Classic Sig, Lyra Etna SL, Pass Labs XP25, PS Audio Directstream DAC, CJ ET5, CH Precision A1, Magico S5, SVS SB13, WW Eclipse 7 Platinum ICs, Shunyata Anaconda, Shunyata Sigma PCs

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by acek View Post
    My CH Precision A1 draws 70W on idle (and while playing at low-moderate volume) and stays stable around 45-50C. I suspect the M1 is close, maybe 2x or less? You can double-check with CH Precision; I did before getting my A1, got a response from Florian Cossy himself on a Sunday morning!
    The M-1 also runs in the 45-52
    Bending Wave USA distributors of Gobel High End Loudspeakers and Cables 100 percent made in Germany
    Dealers for CH Precision

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot G. View Post
    The M-1 also runs in the 45-52
    Can the CH amps run as A and A/B (selectable)? My (Lower Fi) Plinius SA-103 does this, and it works great. I use some full Class A in the winter months, and it does sound a bit more organic. In A/B is still sounds great, slightly faster maybe, tighter bass, but barely gets warm on the heatsinks.

In Class A it uses about 850 watts of power according to my P10 power regenerator.

I leave the amp on 24/7, been like that for 5 years except vacations time. It takes 3 or 4 days to come on song. I think this aspect to power amps is the big capacitors and transformers, they have to fully charge and 'settle'.

I had SETS before this power amp, and don't feel I miss much, certainly bass, dynamics and control are better. But I haven't heard the Aries Cerat SETs yet.......
    Mac Mini Server with 12V DC Upton Audio MMK Mod and LPS feed , SSD and 16 GIG RAM, Audirvana V3 & Tital | Aries Cert Kassandra Ref II NOS DAC, Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special V2 Gone | Passive pre-amplifier | Plinius SA-103 150W Class A / AB switchable | Zingali Client Name EVO 1.2 Horn Hybrids | Velodyne DD10[/B] Sub | Metrum Aurix Headphone Amplifier | Audeze LCD4 2018 | PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator | Dedicated Mains | Audio Note DAC 4.1 heavily modded with AN UK parts | Audeze LCD2 Classic.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

I had SETS before this power amp, and don't feel I miss much, certainly bass, dynamics and control are better. But I haven't heard the Aries Cerat SETs yet.......
    Be careful what you wish for. Once you heard the AC, there is absolutely no going back to Plinius
    Digital: Lampizator SuperKomputer, Lampizator Golden Gate, Resolution Audio Cantata MC
    Preamps: Silvaweld SWC 1000 R, Aries Cerat Incito, Symphonic Line "Die Erleuchtung"
    Poweramps: KR Audio Kronzilla SX, Lamm M 1.1, KR Audio VA 350, Sphinx Project 14 mk3, Luxman M03
    Integrated amps: Ayon Crossfire III, KR Audio VA 350i
    Horn Speakers: hORNS Universum, Odeon No. 38, Living Voice Air Scout, Odeon Midas
    Dipole Speakers: Apogee Studio Grand, Apogee Centaur Major, Acoustat Spectra 22

Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Once you heard the AC, there is absolutely no going back to Plinius
    Yeah yeah, I know, now I want to kill myself....
    Mac Mini Server with 12V DC Upton Audio MMK Mod and LPS feed , SSD and 16 GIG RAM, Audirvana V3 & Tital | Aries Cert Kassandra Ref II NOS DAC, Audio Note UK DAC 5 Special V2 Gone | Passive pre-amplifier | Plinius SA-103 150W Class A / AB switchable | Zingali Client Name EVO 1.2 Horn Hybrids | Velodyne DD10[/B] Sub | Metrum Aurix Headphone Amplifier | Audeze LCD4 2018 | PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator | Dedicated Mains | Audio Note DAC 4.1 heavily modded with AN UK parts | Audeze LCD2 Classic.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMKF View Post
    With that kind of efficiency you have to go very high quality SS amps. Most SS amps have high-ish distorion at low power output. When you have higher power output the distortion levels go down, not like some tubes which gradualy increase with output power.
    Solid-state on high-sensitivity horns? My dear Max might you be suffering from Tube Derangement Syndrome?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Solid-state on high-sensitivity horns? My dear Max might you be suffering from Tube Derangement Syndrome?
    Interesting point. I am of the opinion the 'first watt' is the most important, where we hear the micro details and leading edges of the music. Tubes seem to excel at this aspect. The best designed SETs IMO can also drive to very high levels on the right speakers, usually horns or horn hybrids.

On low power SS amps that are pure class A and top notch build / sound, what is there out there? I see so many SS amps that go for insane power delivery first...

Having said that, it is fascinating to me why correctly designed 'low powered' SETs can sound so dynamic and - well loud!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Well, the best I've heard horns has been on 15W Class A SS, w Class D powered lower bass horns.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Actually, there wasn't much advantage to the valves we heard over the AG amps on the trios.

And I have compared Luxman integrated, Vitus integrated, and airtight 300b on bespoke horns with TAD drivers made in Italy. The Luxman sounded the best, though the virus sounded the best on the tannoys. Of course, if we had we could have tried a nice 833c amp and that might have sounded better, who knows. Some including Jack Roberts did move to first watt SIT from SETs
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast