Typhon QR - Initial impressions.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Wednesday I received a Shunyata Typhon QR for evaluation. While I have been more than impressed and happy with my Shunyata gear, I have to admit the Typhon v1 didn’t really seem to do much when I added it a few years ago. So, while I was curious about the QR, I wasn’t $9K curious. :)

Then it occurred to me that maybe I could get a demo unit to evaluate, and if it did make a difference then I would buy it. So, I asked Mike with Suncoast Audio, and he was able to get a unit from Shunyata, and that arrived Wednesday. At this point, the only items plugged into the Triton are the XP-22 pre, Lumin S1, and the SACD player, which I rarely turn on.

I replaced the Typhon v1 with the QR Wednesday afternoon, and took Thursday off so I could listen all night. My stereo really shines late at night after the neighborhood quiets down, and the air settles.

Around 7PM I got tired of working (worked at home Wednesday since I had to sign for the QR), opened a beer, and sat back to listen, and try to determine if it made an improvement.

Well, to be blunt, I didn’t like what I was hearing. The music was dry and analytical. It certainly was different, but not, to me, in a good way. Oh well, there isn’t an end date to this demo, so I may as well keep using it.

As the night wore on, the outside noise decreased, the air became settled, and the beer started to do its job, I realized the sound had greatly improved. No longer was it harsh and/or analytical, but encompassing and soothing.

All of a sudden the QR went from an annoyance to a benefit. WTF! LOL

The audio was now more detailed, but not analytical. I can more easily pick out notes, instruments, singers in the mix. There is more of a 3D experience to the music. It seemed to be in harmony with the rest of the system, and the end result was making me smile and laugh.

So much for my evaluation idea. I PMed Mike and said ‘Bill me’. He responded right away. Not sure why he was up so early. :)

Anyway, the stereo has been on since Wednesday afternoon, and I am now in evaluation mode. So far all is good, and I will update this thread as I acquire more subjective impressions.

As an FYI, I moved my Typhon v1 into the HT with its Triton v3. I will see later tonight if it makes a difference, but regardless of the result will contact Shunyata Monday to upgrade it to a QR.

Two thumbs up for the Typhon QR.

Now I need two more evaluation units to hear if they help the Denali on each amp. :)

Once again I am impressed with Shunyata technology.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Wednesday I received a Shunyata Typhon QR for evaluation. While I have been more than impressed and happy with my Shunyata gear, I have to admit the Typhon v1 didn’t really seem to do much when I added it a few years ago. So, while I was curious about the QR, I wasn’t $9K curious. :)

Then it occurred to me that maybe I could get a demo unit to evaluate, and if it did make a difference then I would buy it. So, I asked Mike with Suncoast Audio, and he was able to get a unit from Shunyata, and that arrived Wednesday. At this point, the only items plugged into the Triton are the XP-22 pre, Lumin S1, and the SACD player, which I rarely turn on.

I replaced the Typhon v1 with the QR Wednesday afternoon, and took Thursday off so I could listen all night. My stereo really shines late at night after the neighborhood quiets down, and the air settles.

Around 7PM I got tired of working (worked at home Wednesday since I had to sign for the QR), opened a beer, and sat back to listen, and try to determine if it made an improvement.

Well, to be blunt, I didn’t like what I was hearing. The music was dry and analytical. It certainly was different, but not, to me, in a good way. Oh well, there isn’t an end date to this demo, so I may as well keep using it.

As the night wore on, the outside noise decreased, the air became settled, and the beer started to do its job, I realized the sound had greatly improved. No longer was it harsh and/or analytical, but encompassing and soothing.

All of a sudden the QR went from an annoyance to a benefit. WTF! LOL

The audio was now more detailed, but not analytical. I can more easily pick out notes, instruments, singers in the mix. There is more of a 3D experience to the music. It seemed to be in harmony with the rest of the system, and the end result was making me smile and laugh.

So much for my evaluation idea. I PMed Mike and said ‘Bill me’. He responded right away. Not sure why he was up so early. :)

Anyway, the stereo has been on since Wednesday afternoon, and I am now in evaluation mode. So far all is good, and I will update this thread as I acquire more subjective impressions.

As an FYI, I moved my Typhon v1 into the HT with its Triton v3. I will see later tonight if it makes a difference, but regardless of the result will contact Shunyata Monday to upgrade it to a QR.

Two thumbs up for the Typhon QR.

Now I need two more evaluation units to hear if they help the Denali on each amp. :)

Once again I am impressed with Shunyata technology.[/QUOTE

It is sentences like this that make it hard to spend $9k on a piece of equipment. This sounds more like you wanted to like it than what you actually were hearing.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Lol

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think we all want upgrades to like.

A kind of truism, yes?

I don’t think I’ve ever demoed something going “I’m going to hate this/I hope I hate this” LOL.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I think we all want upgrades to like.

A kind of truism, yes?

I don’t think I’ve ever demoed something going “I’m going to hate this/I hope I hate this” LOL.

True. I just have a problem reading a "review" that has this as part of it: "As the night wore on, the outside noise decreased, the air became settled, and the beer started to do its job, I realized the sound had greatly improved".

Hey, the QR making sound effing great, but that sentence does nothing to help the believability of his observations, and therefore allowing someone to make a decision on a $9k piece of equipment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As the night wore on, the outside noise decreased, the air became settled, and the beer started to do its job, I realized the sound had greatly improved. No longer was it harsh and/or analytical, but encompassing and soothing.

(...)

(...)

Nice to see that some WBF members have a good sense of humor.

In my experience, contrary to what Shunyata suggested, the new devices need as much or more burn-in time that older units. At less the Denali and new Sigma power cords need it.

Do you have beer enough for this task? :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's another thought....the OP started out saying that he didn't like what he was initially hearing. Could that actually not be a very accurate statement! Why is it that we believe in this hobby ( and for that matter in most everything) that the latest is a) always the greatest and b) that the latest always has the best technology and c) that the latest always is going to sound better! All of this assumes that there are constant improvements made by the manufacturers to their prior design(s). Yet, I strongly suspect that this is NOT the case, in fact in many instances, the latest piece is nothing more than a marketing vehicle to simply get more sales. ( Now I would grant that NO designer/manufacturer has EVER come out and stated that his prior model is actually a way better performer- and that he just released this version to simply garner more sales!)
Maybe we should be asking ourselves this question...how possible is it for all of these manufacturers to be constantly able to improve what was brought to us before ( and in such a short time usually)...? Many times, yes...but in all instances!
Bluefox, perhaps what you initially heard was actually very much on point...and this piece of gear just doesn't have validity and sounds like crap! Nothing wrong in that..or stating that either!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Awesome Bud! Good read, good humor, good testimony, good results, good proof in listening, good music, good burn-in, good time, good life.

You like John Coltrane?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Here's another thought....the OP started out saying that he didn't like what he was initially hearing. Could that actually not be a very accurate statement! Why is it that we believe in this hobby ( and for that matter in most everything) that the latest is a) always the greatest and b) that the latest always has the best technology and c) that the latest always is going to sound better! All of this assumes that there are constant improvements made by the manufacturers to their prior design(s). Yet, I strongly suspect that this is NOT the case, in fact in many instances, the latest piece is nothing more than a marketing vehicle to simply get more sales. ( Now I would grant that NO designer/manufacturer has EVER come out and stated that his prior model is actually a way better performer- and that he just released this version to simply garner more sales!)
Maybe we should be asking ourselves this question...how possible is it for all of these manufacturers to be constantly able to improve what was brought to us before ( and in such a short time usually)...? Many times, yes...but in all instances!
Bluefox, perhaps what you initially heard was actually very much on point...and this piece of gear just doesn't have validity and sounds like crap! Nothing wrong in that..or stating that either!

Hi Davey,

You spoke in general terms, but in reference to the Typhon QR being the topic, I'll put forward some basic information. In relation to the Typhon QR design specifics, there is new technology throughout the unit and two patents that cover the internal science, so there are quite a few "knowns" about this update compared to the original design.

Further, the TQR went from being a passive in-parallel to an in-series device. This required a new chassis, new internal connections and new external connectors. The QR/BB technology has roots in well explained science and is a key, new technology employed in the TQR. The orientation of the Noise Isolation Chambers is new, as are many of the internal parts (within the NIC's). The Typhon QR is is an entirely unique device of our original design. The original release was 4 + years ago. Given the new technology and its Patent description, there is some assurance this is new and not just a "tweak".

Regarding performance, there are are comments on other forums that found the TQR to be the best product we have introduced to the market in our 19 yr history. That being said, there are different systems, varying expectations and potentially differing opinions on value out there. For these reasons, products like the Typhon QR are available for loan and evaluation through various outlets. Regardless of what we might say, there are many ways to verify performance and value for those willing to invest the time in listening. So far, results have been very consistent, but its early in the life cycle, so time will tell.

Not all products in our category are created equally, so likely there is some truth to general statements such as the ones you made. There was nothing incremental about the Typhon update, however. Caelin's background and reputation; our long-term success, patents and applications in medical and at the top of the pro-recording industries point to the fact that we take what we do seriously. The rest is up to some manner of evaluation in a familiar context.

Regards,

Grant

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Davey,

You spoke in general terms, but in reference to the Typhon QR being the topic, I'll put forward some basic information. In relation to the Typhon QR design specifics, there is new technology throughout the unit and two patents that cover the internal science, so there are quite a few "knowns" about this update compared to the original design.

Further, the TQR went from being a passive in-parallel to an in-series device. This required a new chassis, new internal connections and new external connectors. The QR/BB technology has roots in well explained science and is a key, new technology employed in the TQR. The orientation of the Noise Isolation Chambers is new, as are many of the internal parts (within the NIC's). The Typhon QR is is an entirely unique device of our original design. The original release was 4 + years ago. Given the new technology and its Patent description, there is some assurance this is new and not just a "tweak".

Regarding performance, there are are comments on other forums that found the TQR to be the best product we have introduced to the market in our 19 yr history. That being said, there are different systems, varying expectations and potentially differing opinions on value out there. For these reasons, products like the Typhon QR are available for loan and evaluation through various outlets. Regardless of what we might say, there are many ways to verify performance and value for those willing to invest the time in listening. So far, results have been very consistent, but its early in the life cycle, so time will tell.

Not all products in our category are created equally, so likely there is some truth to general statements such as the ones you made. There was nothing incremental about the Typhon update, however. Caelin's background and reputation; our long-term success, patents and applications in medical and at the top of the pro-recording industries point to the fact that we take what we do seriously. The rest is up to some manner of evaluation in a familiar context.

Regards,

Grant

Grant, Director of Marketing and Sales, thank you for your reply.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Grant, thanks for the post.

Do you think there is any benefit to an external ground between the QR and the Triton ground bus, or does the umbilical handle that?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Grant, thanks for the post.

Do you think there is any benefit to an external ground between the QR and the Triton ground bus, or does the umbilical handle that?

Hi Bud,

The umbilical handles all of that, so standard connection through the umbilical should be fine.

Regards,

Grant

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Bud,

The umbilical handles all of that, so standard connection through the umbilical should be fine.

Regards,

Grant

Hi Grant,

Is there any difference between the Typhon QR US and out of US models? I see a 90 -250V label in the US model and connectors are the universal C19.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Grant,

Is there any difference between the Typhon QR US and out of US models? I see a 90 -250V label in the US model and connectors are the universal C19.

The Typhon QR's are universal in terms of voltage, so they will work the same in any country.

Regards,

Grant

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
QR follow up.

I don’t use my stereo during the week since it is a Friday treat for me after busting my head working all week, so it has sat quiet since I turned it off last Sunday morning. So, as usual, I turned the amps on Thursday night so they would be ready Friday.

Well, now it is Saturday night, and, just like last night, I am being impressed by the performance of the QR. The music is coming from a sonic silence zone. It just appears out of no where. One song even startled me as it started. I thought something happened outside, but quickly realized it was the music. I swear I am picking up on little details I never heard before, or they just stand out more now.

Based on my audio memory, I think the system sounds better now than it did last weekend when the QR was only a few days old. It appears that even though no music was playing during the the week the little current needed by both the Pass pre and the Lumin helped burn-in the QR. Now it is really earning its keep. :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Glad to hear Bud. I hope to audition a QR at some point. I bet it's special. I'm pretty happy with the Denali performance.

QR follow up.

I don’t use my stereo during the week since it is a Friday treat for me after busting my head working all week, so it has sat quiet since I turned it off last Sunday morning. So, as usual, I turned the amps on Thursday night so they would be ready Friday.

Well, now it is Saturday night, and, just like last night, I am being impressed by the performance of the QR. The music is coming from a sonic silence zone. It just appears out of no where. One song even startled me as it started. I thought something happened outside, but quickly realized it was the music. I swear I am picking up on little details I never heard before, or they just stand out more now.

Based on my audio memory, I think the system sounds better now than it did last weekend when the QR was only a few days old. It appears that even though no music was playing during the the week the little current needed by both the Pass pre and the Lumin helped burn-in the QR. Now it is really earning its keep. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing