Focal Speakers..Specifically the Sopra No.2

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
Would love some thoughts on these. I've read some great things about them. Anyone have any first hand experience with how they sound?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I listened to them when they debuted at Munich in 2016 (I think). I, personally, did not hear anything special.

Which loudspeaker is the similarly-priced Rockport equivalent?

zog

Oct 8, 2013
I have heard these. I can compare them to my Triangle Magellan Cellos. The short point is this: they are way better than the Cellos. Compared with Canton K3 they are similar, but I would say the Cantons are better. There is not much between them so if you prefer the looks of the Sopras that would, IMHO, be enough to sway me. Personally I prefer the look of the Cantons so, for me at least, it is a no-brainer to go for the Cantons.

More to the point is that I have had a decent audition with the Magico A3s. Admittedly this is a different presentation from the ported Triangle - Focal - Canton style. I had the opportunity to upgrade to the Sopras: I dangled and lost that opportunity. But now it is the A3 or nothing.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
I auditioned them and found them to be very bright for my tastes and lacking in mid and low bass. The No.3’s were much better (although still too bright for me) even for the additional cost but are quite large. I would definitely audition the Magico A3s.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Never heard them. Big selection stepping up to that price and throwing in quality used gear you can pick from nearly anything legit! I know a guy that matched his sopra2's with Mac gear and was happy. I love their looks, especially compared to my current reference.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Went for an audition of Sopra 2 and Marten Miles 5 as they are at about same price range. Took my electronics with me (Ref75&Ref6) and at the end bought VA Imperial Liszt ;).
Overall they are good speakers but too bright for my taste...

zog

Oct 8, 2013
Since my post in July I can update. I have gone for the Magico A3s after a second audition. The A3s are vastly superior to the Sopras. But by way of caveat the Magicos are not ported so are also different in style. The distinguishing feature of the Magicos is good timbrel accuracy (within the limit of their price) and astonishing integration. There is no 1 Treble, 2 Mid, 3 Bass. It is just one sound that goes deeper and more naturally so than my existing Triangle Cellos.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Congratulations on the Magicos. I also auditioned them in my speaker search this past year. Beautiful sound. In my system I decided on the Spendor D9s which are different but perform at the same level. Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing