What should happen to the music world?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you could snap your fingers, what would you want to change in the world of music delivery? Anything is game from pricing, to how you consume it, etc.

Assume the context is digital delivery and content. And further, forward looking.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If you could snap your fingers, what would you want to change in the world of music delivery? Anything is game from pricing, to how you consume it, etc.

Assume the context is digital delivery and content. And further, forward looking.

Memory so cheap and internet pipes so big that lossless downloads are as practical as 256kbps became a couple of years ago.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tim what the hell is happening? We seem to be agreeing on everything these days!

On the studio/radio/music press end, my wish is that they stop friggin' chopping up music into endless sub, sub, sub,sub and even more sub genres. It has gone way past what is useful for the consumer and has pigeon holed some bands and left many eclectic ones adrift or in limbo. My pet peeve are the demographic ones like "Adult Contemporary" or "Adult Alternative". WHAT?!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I lost it for a minute there.

Sones27

Nov 16, 2010
Beyond the bigger pipe, reasonable prices given no physical product being distributed: Sort out how digital delivery will be handled for all genres-- classical has a decent start (Passionato.com, for instance), but what about jazz, folk, etc.? The 98% conversion from bricks and mortar to internet will come, and I hope soon. The labels have to decide how to handle, and of course, there is the question of what role the label as distributor has in the next decade. The label as banker is also in question-- we live in interesting times for the music business. Did anyone else see the Wall Street Journal article today that the top selling album in the US this past week sold 44,000 copies-- lowest ever. The times, they are a'changin........

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. How many people use passionato.com? Would you play the higher prices for FLAC and are they reasonable compared to CD?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well if they treated the artists in the U.S. like they did in Europe, you'd have access to more/cheaper downloads. European artists get paid every time their tune gets airplay. The only time a U.S. artist can make any money is to hit the road and still not many can pack a stadium.

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
I'd like the following:

$10 for the equivalent of a CD. The CD equivalent would be as follows:

1) Standardize on FLAC format, 16/44.1 or better

2) A standard for liner note browsing to bring back some of the "touchy feely" aspect that was lost way back when the CD was invented. I'd propose that the standard be HTML. This would allow playback software to easily incorporate a "liner notes browser", allowing for the viewing of mixed text and graphics, font scaling for easy readability on the given display, and simple navigation. IMO this would be much preferred to the lame display of a low-res cover graphic as is often done in playback software.

I'm a jazz fan, and back in the LP days, I learned a lot about the history of the music by just reading LP liner notes. This has become a lost pastime that should be brought back by the computer, not buried yet further by the "all you need is cover art" view.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't see anything inherently wrong with Bluray as a physical product. 24/192 stereo, done properly, is excellent, and 24/96 multi-channel likewise. I do a ton of downloading, but burn those downloads to CD or DVD now.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How much value do you put on Lyrics? Reason I ask is that they often need to be licensed separately so there is cost to it. Would you pay more to get them?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't see anything inherently wrong with Bluray as a physical product. 24/192 stereo, done properly, is excellent, and 24/96 multi-channel likewise. I do a ton of downloading, but burn those downloads to CD or DVD now.
I should have been clear to ask my question in the context of music for everyone, not just audiophiles. There are not enough of us to keep music alive :). And for the masses, BD format is just not going to happen.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Thanks guys. How many people use passionato.com? Would you play the higher prices for FLAC and are they reasonable compared to CD?

I don't use passionato.com. I checked the cost for the equivalent of the Haydn Symphony box (#34 - 47) By Dorati. At $ 6.39 per symphony, the total is over $ 80. Not competitive with buying the CD box set from ArkivMusic.com for $ 38. In practice, I'd look for an even lower price on Amazon marketplace.

I buy the CDs, rip them to music files (Flac) and store the physical CDs. I'll be happy to buy downloads instead when they are cost effective.

Bill

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Liner notes and lyrics for sure, and yes...I would pay more. I want to read where and when the songs were recorded, the name of the studio, the mastering, engineering, ALL of the musicians names who took part, etc. Downloads should be no more $5.00-$7.50 per album. Paying $9.99 for a bunch of files is robbery when I can get the physical product for a few dollars more.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I vote for Digital Booklets for every purchase of an album for free. Lyrics are just a google away for free.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim what the hell is happening? We seem to be agreeing on everything these days!

Resignation, I suspect. Electronic distribution is the future (actually the present, I'm in denial), so we're just hoping it gets good. Actually, I suspect we'll get to 320kbps soon, and that's pretty good.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Does anybody know how much memory is needed to store a minute of 24/192?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Stereo? FLAC or WAV? One minute of 24/192 WAV stereo audio is about 75 MB.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I will show the math :).

"24 bits" means three bytes (24/8 = 3).

192 means 192,000 samples per second. So 384,000 for stereo.

So each second takes 384,000 * 3 ~ 1 million bytes. If your song is the typical 3 minutes, that is 180 seconds or 180 megabytes.

Lossless compression usually gives you 2:1 compression (Flac is a bit worse than others but close enough for this brief intro). So we divide 180/2 and get 90 Megabytes which was roughly the answer given :).

Longer explanation here: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/LosslessAudio.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing