Hi all,

I'm running the following:

- VPI Super Scoutmaster (standard)
- Denon DL103 with Paratrace retip and Ebony body
- Linn Linto phono stage
- Audio Research Ref 3 preamp
- Cyrus APA7.5 Monoblocks
- Focal Scala Utopia III Version 1

I like the system but don't feel the "magic" yet, i.e. a system that blows away digital. I'm thinking the Denon is the weak link. What would you get to improve this system? My budget isn't crazy so £5k upgrades for each component are out. Probably looking at around £2k per change MAX and no more than 3 changes. I'm UK based. I'll change things over time not all in one go. What do you think!?

Thanks, Tim

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Cartridge and phono stage. Certainly an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze *or* Cadenza Black with a Rogue Ares Magnum phono stage handily beats digital while staying in your per-component budget. These top 2 Cadenzas seem to match very well with VPI (I've heard VPI favors them quite a lot too), and I know that both of those cartridges sound great with the Ares Magnum.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks Mulveling. What's your opinion on VPI? Are these worth keeping / upgrading?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The first thing I would upgrade is the phono stage with a great tube model like the EAR 834P or maybe the 88 PB which you can use to drive the amps directly bypassing the ARC. A tube upgrade is recommended.

I don’t know what your retipped one sounds like but the standard 103 used to be an excellent musical cartridge as are the suggested Ortofon models. I would look at other tts too!

Edit- Contact Loricraft for a Garrard 401 with a SME 3009-R they should have something within your budget.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: arj

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Hi Tim,
I've got a friend that runs a Scoutmaster with an Ortofon Jubilee (the predecessor of the Cadenza Black), and a Rogue Ares Magnum. He has very acute hearing, and tells me this setup still notably exceeds his new PS Audio DirectStream DAC. And he likes that PS Audio DAC a good deal better than my old Schiit Yggdrasil (which I had loaned to him). I've always thought the Scoutmasters seemed like a solid table and a great deal, especially by today's pricing standards. They've sounded great in the systems I've heard them. My only hangup was that I didn't like the feel of the classic VPI unipiviot, and had concerns about its ability to optimally match a range of cartridges (like Koetsu). The Scoutmaster line doesn't have armboards, which makes it much more awkward to get the table drilled for a different arm. But certainly, these VPI arms match well with the Ortofon MC's, and there are now some nice looking VPI options for arm upgrades (3D wand, 2nd pivot for stabilization, upcoming fatboy). So I don't feel like that's a weak link yet.

I run a Cadenza Bronze on a SOTA Star, into a Ares Magnum, for my headphone setup. Again it's a really good match, and handily beats the Yggdrasil DAC I had. Yes I know the price is far in excess of the DAC here, but I strongly prefer the vinyl setup. I feel that the Ortofon Cadenza / Rogue Ares pairing is a very high value one - make sure you at least get the CineMag 1254 SUT upgrade in the Ares if you don't get a Magnum.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Tim, I’m UK based, and prior to getting on the Straingauge bus, I had great results running a Zu modded Denon 103 running thru a Tom Evans Audio Design Groove phono stage (modded twice, to Plus and SRX levels).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anamighty sound in Paris is doing a great phono in current at 3800 euro. I still have to compare it to the Thrax phono stage in which they also deal. It might not be as good but for such a sum, and flexible to all carts with automatic loading, and a mono switch, it is superb.

They also have fantastic modded Denon and EMT which through their phono sound better than the Jan Allaerts, top wing red sparrow, and the phasemation. I suspect the cost of the carts is 3k euro.

I would change the VPI scout to a restored TD 124

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The first thing I would upgrade is the phono stage with a great tube model like the EAR 834P or maybe the 88 PB which you can use to drive the amps directly bypassing the ARC. A tube upgrade is recommended.

I don’t know what your retipped one sounds like but the standard 103 used to be an excellent musical cartridge as are the suggested Ortofon models. I would look at other tts too!

Edit- Contact Loricraft for a Garrard 401 with a SME 3009-R they should have something within your budget.

david

David,
Do you prefer the Garrard 401 over the 301? If so, why?

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I had a Super Scoutmaster which was greatly improved by a Gingko Audio vibration isolation platform.
Not that expensive and can be purchased over the internet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing