azimuth right.jpeg

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Reactions: bazelio and bonzo75

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Who is Bill Carlin?
Hi Brian,

Bill Carlin (Phoenix Engineering) has made for me an exceptionally low noise and vibration-less BLDC frequency controlled Rim drive, driven through a high biased class Ab amplifier.

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Very nice. So he has come out of retirement! Congrats. That looks good.

On another topic - are you going to attempt to match the crosstalk phases, or are you going to stop with -32dB. I'm not sure yet which way to go with that myself.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Very nice. So he has come out of retirement! Congrats. That looks good.

On another topic - are you going to attempt to match the crosstalk phases, or are you going to stop with -32dB. I'm not sure yet which way to go with that myself.

is what i am doing this evening Brian. Unfortunately he is still retired, this was a personal favor

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
today results with a new cartridge.
Bill Carlin has managed to nail the wow and speed stability

Wow - I've never been able to get the azimuth (xtalk) better than -28dB with any of my carts - very nice!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Wow - I've never been able to get the azimuth (xtalk) better than -28dB with any of my carts - very nice!
AnalogMagik measures distortions, depending the noise and vibration levels of a turntable the results or settings can be masked and not visible. which turntable do you own?

PS with the factory previous motor and controller I couldn’t get either such results

Reactions: mountainjoe

Vienna

VIP/Donor
i agree, Bill has still so much to offer.

Reactions: trekpilot

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
AnalogMagik measures distortions, depending the noise and vibration levels of a turntable the results or settings can be masked and not visible. which turntable do you own?

PS with the factory previous motor and controller I couldn’t get either such results

It's a Technics SP10MK3 with custom plinth from Artisan Fidelity.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
It's a Technics SP10MK3 with custom plinth from Artisan Fidelity.

what vibration numbers (%) are you getting though AM with this setup? Also what is the measured Wow/flutter and VTA?

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Wonderful setup and specs. When you get some time on it, please let us know (in a new thread) how you like the new Lyra Etna Lambda, and how it compares to the previous Etna.Thanks!!!!!!
Thank you Barry, it’s still very early to say but I will revert. For the moment I would say that the former Etna compared to the lambda it’s not a night and day different.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
My first experience with my AnalogMagik was a good one. For one, I was glad to see that my previous scope method of adjusting azimuth showed similarly good results in this tool. Additionally, I found that my anti-skate setting was a bit off and my VTA was quite a ways off based on the AM IMD readings. VTF was about right, but with AM, I ended at a setting 0.15g lighter than I've ever used previously with this cartridge. In the end, I logged about 3 hours tweaking several parameters based on guidance from the tool. I've only sat down for a quick taste test thus far, but so far so good. The difference is certainly audible, but I've got quite a bit more listening to do.

This is a Kuzma Stabi M with Transfiguration Proteus.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My first experience with my AnalogMagik was a good one. For one, I was glad to see that my previous scope method of adjusting azimuth showed similarly good results in this tool. Additionally, I found that my anti-skate setting was a bit off and my VTA was quite a ways off based on the AM IMD readings. VTF was about right, but with AM, I ended at a setting 0.15g lighter than I've ever used previously with this cartridge. In the end, I logged about 3 hours tweaking several parameters based on guidance from the tool. I've only sat down for a quick taste test thus far, but so far so good. The difference is certainly audible, but I've got quite a bit more listening to do.

This is a Kuzma Stabi M with Transfiguration Proteus.

Very interesting. I've admired this program from afar but now that I'm about to set up a Reed 3P on a Dohmann Helix with a TBD cartridge, I've aways wondered if I should explore this tool. I know the naysayers will argue set-up is done best by ear, but you can't help but be impressed that there is some very helpful data here that can only help find the optimum setting and best sound. What's not to like? I'm really glad you are having a good experience with this. I'm hoping your experience will provide some answers for my questions, which are sure to come!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing