Analog Magik

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Tim, not sure using different alignments to what the tonearm was designed for is problamatic per say.

However, on some the cartridge is no longer parallel to the tonearm headshell, which thinking out aloud may not be long term beneficial for the cantilever/cartridge interface.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I could see the Analog Magik consists in a spectrum analyzer and distortion meter and some test LPs. I have used test LPs and Spectraplus with an USB EMU tracker to perform some of these adjustments. Analog Magik claims to includes some filtering to reject test LP characteristics such as eccentricity and warps.

Some rules are logical and have been used since long, such as azimuth setting, and we have other programs doing similar things. The innovative and critical VTF and SRA setting methods are based on their findings concerning THD and IMD at several frequencies. IMO the main problem with such tools is establishing correlations between measurements and the optimum sound quality settings - there are so many variables in cartridge suspension - cantilever - stylus shape that it is not possible to establish firm rules.

It seemed to me that unless our cartridge has been tested with this system we risk following a suite of procedures validated by statistical analysis of many cartridges, that assures an average but not optimum settings for several cartridge parameters. But surely it is an excellent tool to get a starting point and a great system to control our settings. A great finding to anyone hating to spend long times doing adjustments by ear, that are sometimes inconclusive. Technical minded people should have a lot of fun carrying the adjustments. Also a great tool for dealers and installers, who should perform a reliable and verifiable setting for customers having little time or experience to do set up.

I did not like their recommendation of using a cheap USB sound card unit with RIAA - IMHO you we should carry these measurements using an optimally loaded cartridge. I always used my ARC phono and a line USB sound card to perform adjustments.

Analog Magik does not sell the LPs separately, something that worries me - test tracks usually wear fast and the analyzer is useless without them.

This software does not help in tonearm geometry setting - we should use a protactor or fix our settings before using the analyzer.

Just my 0.02 after reading their very informative web page. Unfortunately the analyzer is not inexpensive, I must think carefully if I should afford myself Analog Magik!

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Not familiar with VPI tonearms but Dynavector uses jigs since the 505. Also Graham has a new dedicated jig out for his 12" arms.

david

And the Graham jigs are marked on the clear template plate as to which arm they should be mated...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What is the connection (dependency?) Between a tonearm and an alignment?

If one can correctly align say a Graham or VPI to say a Loefgren alignment, why is that problematic versus aligning a Kuzma or Tri-Planar to Loefgren?

Where you position the tonearm ie alignment determines the arc of travel for your cartridge across the record.

Ideally alignment is based on at least two predetermined calculated null points any deviation from those points will introduce tracking distortions. Null location is derived from arm’s geometry and and will change accordingly if not based on the known alignment curves.

david

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
If pivoted arms set up to predefined alignments have two null points and you measure distortion on a specific track of a Test LP, wouldn't you be comparing distortion measurements at one specific location on an LP? Meaning, whichever alignment happens to be closest to null at that location would measure the best, all else being equal? I had to go through different albums in my collection with different alignments to figure out which one I preferred.

I don't think using a test record to determine the optimal alignment is a good idea. Optimal being the one you think sounds best with your collection.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do all pivoted tonearms do the standard alignments equally well? Or do some do one better than the other?

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Some arms have a larger range of adjustment on where you can place the cart than others from a specific P2S distance in the headshell. Some arms you may have to change the P2S distance to achieve an alignment. I use the Arche Headshell which affords me the needed adjustment to achieve all the alignments on a Smartractor.

Last edited:

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
As far as I could see the Analog Magik consists in a spectrum analyzer and distortion meter and some test LPs. I have used test LPs and Spectraplus with an USB EMU tracker to perform some of these adjustments. Analog Magik claims to includes some filtering to reject test LP characteristics such as eccentricity and warps.

Some rules are logical and have been used since long, such as azimuth setting, and we have other programs doing similar things. The innovative and critical VTF and SRA setting methods are based on their findings concerning THD and IMD at several frequencies. IMO the main problem with such tools is establishing correlations between measurements and the optimum sound quality settings - there are so many variables in cartridge suspension - cantilever - stylus shape that it is not possible to establish firm rules.

It seemed to me that unless our cartridge has been tested with this system we risk following a suite of procedures validated by statistical analysis of many cartridges, that assures an average but not optimum settings for several cartridge parameters. But surely it is an excellent tool to get a starting point and a great system to control our settings. A great finding to anyone hating to spend long times doing adjustments by ear, that are sometimes inconclusive. Technical minded people should have a lot of fun carrying the adjustments. Also a great tool for dealers and installers, who should perform a reliable and verifiable setting for customers having little time or experience to do set up.

I did not like their recommendation of using a cheap USB sound card unit with RIAA - IMHO you we should carry these measurements using an optimally loaded cartridge. I always used my ARC phono and a line USB sound card to perform adjustments.

Analog Magik does not sell the LPs separately, something that worries me - test tracks usually wear fast and the analyzer is useless without them.

This software does not help in tonearm geometry setting - we should use a protactor or fix our settings before using the analyzer.

Just my 0.02 after reading their very informative web page. Unfortunately the analyzer is not inexpensive, I must think carefully if I should afford myself Analog Magik!

In terms of using correlations of specific equipment and sound quality, I don't think that AM works that way. My understanding from Richard is that AM simply inputs distortions and the software measures the reactions of your cartridge/tonearm/phono pre combinations. That is it, simple cause and effect (AM does not want to know or even care what equipment you are testing). It is then up to you to determine how to proceed with the information. This is why I think that AM is not for everyone for it is an iterative learning process for the tuner. If you are looking for a program that will set up your cartridge for you, this is not it. It also points to the reasons that you have to start with a reasonably close alignment in the first place. AM apparently is capable of finding small percentages of error for optimization however it cannot *see* that error nor optimize it if the setup is grossly off. I was able to remove the gross errors though hours of trials at various configurations and when those were eliminated, the setup popped into focus using AM.

I too had reservations concerning the ART USB Phono Plus because at first I didn't understand that all it does is digitize your phono pre analog output...you literally plug your phono pre outputs into the ART. The reality is, your phono pre is doing all of the RIAA work and thus is why you can use AM to optimize cartridge loading and phono pre amp gain.

Richard will not sell just the records because they are not that useful on their own. However, if you have purchased the set, I see no reason for him to not sell replacement vinyl (I will ask). What he does specifically state is that under no circumstances will he sell you a replacement dongle if lost or the dog eats it. Software updates are free.

True statement on setting tonearm geometry...as mentioned above, you have to know how to get to a reasonable stating point.

Not inexpensive, very true. I justify it by the fact that I saved myself hundreds if not untold hours of futzing around trying to optimize by ear...something I neither have the expertise or patience for. On top of that I could never really be sure I had it right and would start futzing yet again. AM saved me from that fate.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Where you position the tonearm ie alignment determines the arc of travel for your cartridge across the record.

Ideally alignment is based on at least two predetermined calculated null points any deviation from those points will introduce tracking distortions. Null location is derived from arm’s geometry and and will change accordingly if not based on the known alignment curves.

david

The question is that there is no ideal alignment. Alignment is a compromise of many factors, even some that depend on the cartridge and tonearm behavior. As they say, each should pick his poison.

Personally I always follow the tonearm manufacturer indications, and bless him if he supplies a decent jig or protractor!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In terms of using correlations of specific equipment and sound quality, I don't think that AM works that way. My understanding from Richard is that AM simply inputs distortions and the software measures the reactions of your cartridge/tonearm/phono pre combinations. That is it, simple cause and effect (AM does not want to know or even care what equipment you are testing). It is then up to you to determine how to proceed with the information. This is why I think that AM is not for everyone for it is an iterative learning process for the tuner. If you are looking for a program that will set up your cartridge for you, this is not it. It also points to the reasons that you have to start with a reasonably close alignment in the first place. AM apparently is capable of finding small percentages of error for optimization however it cannot *see* that error nor optimize it if the setup is grossly off. I was able to remove the gross errors though hours of trials at various configurations and when those were eliminated, the setup popped into focus using AM.

I took a more optimistic view from what I read - if we are lucky and our cartridge/tonearm fits their criteria, minimal distortions should yield better sound. IMHO VTF and SRA are the interesting innovative points of this product. I hope it is more than just a teaching tool ...

I too had reservations concerning the ART USB Phono Plus because at first I didn't understand that all it does is digitize your phono pre analog output...you literally plug your phono pre outputs into the ART. The reality is, your phono pre is doing all of the RIAA work and thus is why you can use AM to optimize cartridge loading and phono pre amp gain.

I see. The ART USB can be used as a line USB device. I can't see why he recommends such device to bypass the phono RIAA, when we have plenty of excellent quality cheap USB stereo devices, up to 192 kHz, that can be also used for other functions.

Richard will not sell just the records because they are not that useful on their own. However, if you have purchased the set, I see no reason for him to not sell replacement vinyl (I will ask). What he does specifically state is that under no circumstances will he sell you a replacement dongle if lost or the dog eats it. Software updates are free.

IMHO he does not sell the records to force users to buy his software - and I understand him. It is a business, not a charity. If people have access to the records they would start developing similar programs or using alternative software. Or perhaps even they ears ...

True statement on setting tonearm geometry...as mentioned above, you have to know how to get to a reasonable stating point.

Not inexpensive, very true. I justify it by the fact that I saved myself hundreds if not untold hours of futzing around trying to optimize by ear...something I neither have the expertise or patience for. On top of that I could never really be sure I had it right and would start futzing yet again. AM saved me from that fate.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The question is that there is no ideal alignment. Alignment is a compromise of many factors, even some that depend on the cartridge and tonearm behavior. As they say, each should pick his poison.

Personally I always follow the tonearm manufacturer indications, and bless him if he supplies a decent jig or protractor!

You are correct alignment is a compromise of many factors each protocol has its proponents and pros/cons ( Stevenson, Loegfren,Baerwald etc.) .

I have the AM set up. I have not set up a Graham arm in years. I have custom MINT protractors, Feikert (both versions- the older one is better IMO) , DB and the Acoustical Systems. By far for ease of use and accuracy the AS smart tracktor is the best for me.

AM states clearly that you must use an accurate set up system before you begin regardless of your chosen geometry. Maybe it is possible to use the Graham jig to get close enough to have the AM offer reasonble tolerences to give guidence- more effort required perhaps. On the other hand the AS tracktor is a precision piece that makes the effort of getting accurate alignment easy and a requirement for something like the AM system.

If you don't have a "tolerence" for the iterative process- and its sometimes maddening to get things right with any set up jig. The AM system may not be for you. It can offer some outstanding insights in a consumer based package that are measurable and empirical.

Otherwise I highly recommend the Acoustical Systems Smart Tracktor. It makes set up a breeze- I can set up a cartridge in less that 10 minutes easily and repeatadly. The key is its mirrored surface, measurement bar for P to S and very importantly its laser cut divot that precisely sets in the point of your stylus.

The AM is icing on the cake- if you're inclined. It can be alot of work on the learning curve, it doesn't work if you are not accurate to begin with in geometry- but it allows you to see what is happening and prove your adjustments by measurements.

After using it for a few set ups you get better and better at it . Some say mastery takes 10,000hrs - not sure how many frustrating hours I have spent in my 35 years of being a vinyl enthusiast but it seems like a lot. I've got no skin in the game with either of these products- I just own both.

Think of any car analogy you want .. the AS is like a Lexus SUV. Predictable, reliable, comfortable etc. the AM is like taking that vehicle to a tune shop and putting a twin turbo on it. It will do some great things but you will have to pay for that performance in $ , time and effort .

Cheers

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Another reason why I like the SME 3012-r, I use the same protractor and gauge for almost 3 decades now and using these simple tools almost anyone can accurately align the arm in a matter of minutes.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
...The AM is icing on the cake- if you're inclined. It can be alot of work on the learning curve, it doesn't work if you are not accurate to begin with in geometry- but it allows you to see what is happening and prove your adjustments by measurements.

One thing I learnt over the years is that with audio the only thing that matters is hearing, numbers might help you navigate your way but only ears can verify the end result.

david

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
One thing I learnt over the years is that with audio the only that matters is hearing, numbers might help you navigate your way but only ears can verify the end result.

david

I agree.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
I see. The ART USB can be used as a line USB device. I can't see why he recommends such device to bypass the phono RIAA, when we have plenty of excellent quality cheap USB stereo devices, up to 192 kHz, that can be also used for other functions.

He specifies the ART USB because he developed a special driver for it. I have a PS Audio Nuwave phono converter that I used in the very beginning and it worked. I erroneously began to doubt the PS because of the issues I was having. Plus, I reasoned that if you have to use the AM driver with the ART, I must need a special driver for the PS. That reasoning is probably incorrect. I found that the bigger issue with using the PS Audio converter was that I had to bypass my normal phono pre amp to use it, thus I was missing out on some of the capabilities afforded by AM.

I can't say that some of the other digitizers will or will not work with AM...they probably will. But the ART was relatively cheap so I went with the recommendation.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What I am saying is that after using AM to optimize the alignment, the stylus is in a location 1.7mm from the location specified by Bob's jig. For my rig, the jig simply did not provide results that were nearly as satisfying as what I have now. The measured results would seem to back that up. In fact, I was in a bit of panic in terms of what the tests were indicating prior to starting with Stevenson that I had the thought that the cart was bad..to the point of calling Mehran and preping to send it back for evaluation. No need to at this point...all is well with the cart.

keep in mind with the jig it's critically important that the flip "clear" alignment plate is exactly level (if it isn't overhang will be off) with the cart (stylus exactly perpendicular to the plate) Also there is only an open space for the stylus to make contact, not an exact dimple point so there is opportunity to be off on the overhand there too. The jig could be improved with a stylus dimple to get the exact overhang easily.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
One thing I learnt over the years is that with audio the only thing that matters is hearing, numbers might help you navigate your way but only ears can verify the end result.

david

True that! I could only wish I had a similar level of expertise that you have accumulated. Experience counts big time...

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
keep in mind with the jig it's critically important that the flip "clear" alignment plate is exactly level with the cart (stylus exactly perpendicular to the plate) Also there is only an open space for the stylus to make contact, not an exact dimple point so there is opportunity to be off on the overhand there too. The jig could be improved with a stylus dimple to get the exact overhang easily.

I reasoned that he meant to have the clear template level, otherwise why include an adjustable leveling device However, his brief instructions leave all of that for your imagination to conjure up on your own. That and the fact that there is one design flaw in the jig (beyond the wiggly nature of it) and that is that it is all but impossible to tighten the lock screw at a specific height. The nut is recessed and cannot easily be kept from spinning as you try to tighten.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He specifies the ART USB because he developed a special driver for it. I have a PS Audio Nuwave phono converter that I used in the very beginning and it worked. I erroneously began to doubt the PS because of the issues I was having. Plus, I reasoned that if you have to use the AM driver with the ART, I must need a special driver for the PS. That reasoning is probably incorrect. I found that the bigger issue with using the PS Audio converter was that I had to bypass my normal phono pre amp to use it, thus I was missing out on some of the capabilities afforded by AM.

I can't say that some of the other digitizers will or will not work with AM...they probably will. But the ART was relatively cheap so I went with the recommendation.

Those are bad news. If the program depends on custom drivers for USB it means that probably it will operate only with a specific version of Windows. Does it support Windows 10?

BTW, where is the company located?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing