Eva Cassidy

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I 'discovered' Eva on the audioasylum forum in July 2000 (I became an audioasylum member July 4th, 2000)

here is the earliest post of mine about Eva I can find.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m....essage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=music

That is pretty cool Mike. Eighteen years you've first been exposed to Eva.

I don't remember exactly when I first bought a recording of her (CD), but it's been many years too, fifteen for sure. The first three I bought were Live @ Blues Alley, Songbird and Time After Time. ...Then later on I bought three more. I had tears too, and the more I learned about her ...

If music , if artists can make you cry; it's power of the heart. Opera can do that with me, women vocals. It is truly magic because my heart is made of concrete and steel.

RIP Eva.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My bad Ron. You need this Box Set though.

View attachment 42118

Tang :)

Thank you, Tang. I love the way Michael Hobson had this recording made.

But I won’t buy something ears unheard. If I cannot confirm I like the music, then I don’t care how great the recording quality is: I might listen to it once, and then never again.

I can only find one song from this album on YouTube to listen to.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I bought Songbird 20 years ago - 1998. # 95 or 10,000. mastered @ Abbey Road and pressed @ Pallas. nice compilation and excellent sound.

Which record label released this particular, numbered version of the album?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Mike!

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Five pages on Eva & not one comment on her guitar skills...
In my opinion they are equally as good as her singing...
Geez she could play...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
here is the right pressing. S&P 501. it should have a label showing the # of 10,000 pressed on the jacket.

https://www.discogs.com/Eva-Cassidy-Songbird/release/2549890

it is a digital master, but a 'nice' sounding pressing. not super duper. 'Night Bird' is maybe a bit better sounding....and really fine in places.

Steve Hoffman did the remastering. I have the SP and Blix Street vinyls and the SP is superior in sound. One of my favorite pop records. Her cover of Sting's Fileds of Gold melts my heart, far superior to Sting's original.

Larry

Reactions: tony22

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anybody have the 25th anniversary remastered LP edition of Live at Blues Alley?

How is the sound of "Fields of Gold" on this 25th anniversary remastering versus on Songbird?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How is the sound of "Fields of Gold" on this 25th anniversary remastering versus on the original pressing of Live at Blues Alley?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I remember the first time I heard Eva sing this piece.... an exhibition the day after Ms. Kwan fell and lost the Gold in the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.
michelle kwan fields of gold
Sting said Eva's version of his song was the best.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I see reference in the marketing literature to the 25th anniversary remastering of Live at Blues Alley:

re-mastered using newly available high-resolution mastering technology

That doesn't sound promising!

MikeL must have every version of Live at Blues Alley. What say you, Mike?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Didn't know there was a 25th Anniversary remastering. Larry

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I missed her also. Apparently, she had quite a presence at Blues Alley. Her album Nightbird has a picture of her standing in front pf the club. She also has a big presence on Tidal. Fome of her albums are om Tidal Gems,

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have all of her albums

Her short storied life proves how serious malignant melanoma can be
Yes, a dear friend was gone in 30 days of diagnosis.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
How did I overlook this singer?

One of the attendees play a track on a CD today. It was a cover of Cyndi Lauper's True Colors.

The voice was amazing: Eva Cassidy. I had never heard of her before.

I just ordered from Acoustic Sounds Simply Eva on 45rpm LP.

Yes, I read the tragic biography.
I've never heard of her. Just read about her on wikipedia and apparently she was brought to attention on UK TV. Can't have been paying any attention.

My wife had a thing about Sting and I clearly remember him singing Fields of Gold at the Royal Albert Hall when she was about 8 months pregnant (in 1997) and getting very excited. We were up front and I can understand how she felt. She was probably in a long line. Can't imagine a cover of such a song. Saw The Police in 1979 when they were still a pub/uni band and playing small theatres, they were are Hamm Odeon (capacity 2,500) and a few hundred turned up. We wandered over after school. Reminds me of life before the internet, when you went along and paid at the door, or sometimes didn't bother paying. My last gig in that venue involved a purple dinosaur called Barnie. The place was packed out.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I missed her also. Apparently, she had quite a presence at Blues Alley. Her album Nightbird has a picture of her standing in front pf the club. She also has a big presence on Tidal. Fome of her albums are om Tidal Gems,

There's this really sweet version of "What a Wonderful World" on the Live at Blues Alley (but not Nightbird) where she dedicates the song to her dad for teaching her the guitar. Apparently she was on chemo/pain meds and went up on stage that day on a walker, helped by her family, and she belted out that song.

So amazing.

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing