Eva Cassidy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

I am a huge 'Eva' fan......since 2001 or so when I first heard 'Live At Blues Alley'. her rendition of 'Somewhere over the Rainbow' (off 'Songbird') is the ultimate (yes; it's digital like all her recordings.....but get over that). I have everything she has done.

as far as recent vinyl; 'Simply Eva' sucks to my ears and was very disappointing as it's her only 45rpm vinyl.

but 'Nightbird', pressed in the UK, is much better and the definitive 'Eva' analog to play. btw; when she was first 'discovered' by the listening public (beyond her native D.C. area), it was in the UK. and for a while there was a radio station there that was 'all Eva'. she is that good.

you can never have too much 'Eva'.

Thank you for that review of the albums.

Okay; I will “get over that” — but only for Eva. :D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
How did I overlook this singer?

One of the attendees play a track on a CD today. It was a cover of Cyndi Lauper's True Colors.

The voice was amazing: Eva Cassidy. I had never heard of her before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rka5vDLdHfA

I just ordered from Acoustic Sounds Simply Eva on 45rpm LP.

Yes, I read the tragic biography.

Wow....our other fearless leader is very familiar with Eva's great talent. It was a shame she was taken from us so soon. I enjoy her immensely.

Reactions: Gregadd

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow....our other fearless leader is very familiar with Eva's great talent. It was a shame she was taken from us so soon. I enjoy her immensely.

I have all of her albums

Her short storied life proves how serious malignant melanoma can be

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I got turned on to her by a buddy who heard Michell Kwan skate to her in 02 .. Needless to say ,She is my go to many times.. Oh I had a golden thread can and will test a systems range . with the Wurlitzer and her vocal range ! If your system is off it will tell you .

I remember watching that performance by Miss Kwan on TV and thinking, "WHO IS THAT SINGING??"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazOhkRuySI

Last edited:

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Welcome to Eva's world - at least that which she left behind for us. There is little that compares to her incredible voice. 'Autumn Leaves' is my favorite song in her portfolio and one I listen to when I think I have gotten a system 'just right'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBNlApwh0c

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Simply Eva arrived yesterday. I just played one song and quit. Confirm it is a terrible recording as Mike said. The output is very very high (Actually the Night Bird also has very high output too.) The vocal is muddy. It goes into my hit-and-miss bin.

Tang

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Simply Eva arrived yesterday. I just played one song and quit. Confirm it is a terrible recording as Mike said. The output is very very high. The vocal is muddy. It goes into my hit-and-miss bin.

Tang

Tang,
Just get Nightbird and stop messing around. Its amazing, the DVD is cool too, even though its a handheld camcorder. The energy of those shows comes through. Read the story about that night and how the show almost never happened, magical night captured for all to experience.

Your welcome! :p

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,
Just get Nightbird and stop messing around. Its amazing, the DVD is cool too, even though its a handheld camcorder. The energy of those shows comes through. Read the story about that night and how the show almost never happened, magical night captured for all to experience.

Your welcome! :p

I already have Night Bird. I saw the great Ron Resnick said Simply Eva and without looking what songs are in there I quick handed pressed buy in Discog. Silly me.

Tang :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Only trust Eva (heart) ... Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=cFoXcO8llNI

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Simply Eva arrived yesterday. I just played one song and quit. Confirm it is a terrible recording as Mike said. The output is very very high (Actually the Night Bird also has very high output too.) The vocal is muddy. It goes into my hit-and-miss bin.

Tang

I am so sorry if I lead you astray!

The recording quality is poor because I think it was recorded on a portable DAT recorder (yuck!). But the vinyl pressing itself I thought was very quiet and pretty good.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am so sorry if I lead you astray!

The recording quality is poor because I think it was recorded on a portable DAT recorder (yuck!). But the vinyl pressing itself I thought was very quiet and pretty good.

My bad Ron. You need this Box Set though.

AB388BCA-A73B-4FFC-9F45-B7835624BE59.jpg

Tang :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I bought Songbird 20 years ago - 1998. # 95 or 10,000. mastered @ Abbey Road and pressed @ Pallas. nice compilation and excellent sound. have not spun it in probably 19 years, until now ;)

42935158711_4073d933f3_b.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought Songbird 20 years ago - 1998. # 95 or 10,000. mastered @ Abbey Road and pressed @ Pallas. nice compilation and excellent sound. have not spun it in probably 19 years, until now ;)

You really listen to all kinds of music Shane.
Did you forget to put the record weight on? Or you don’t like anything on top? :p

Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
You really listen to all kinds of music Shane.
Did you forget to put the record weight on? Or you don’t like anything on top? :p

Tang

Hi Tang.

Variety is the spice of life. The Lyra Etna is perfect for this style of music.

Not a big fan of turntable clamps or weights. I find in my system I lose a little " air " when record weights are used. The Wilson Focal tweeter is not known for its " air " either.
I own an Orb record flattened, so all my vinyl is flat.

Cheers

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
She was firstt brought to our attention by our esteemed leader Steve Williams. She definitely deserves who own thread. I have only heard her in the digital domain. Her original recordings must be in analog. Must be somethong in45RPM LP.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
you can never have too much 'Eva'.

You go that right.

Her voice is amazing as is her ability to deliver a song. She is my go to artist when I am listening for anything in a component that I might want to change - or if the new component is better than what it might replace. And since I also use room correction, her voice, so pure, is a great tool for getting her range, just right.

You can never have too much 'Eva' !!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have all of her albums

Her short storied life proves how serious malignant melanoma can be
YeahI recently lost a dear friend.It happened so fast. Gone in 30 days.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

mine is #507/10,000.

likely spun mine more regularly than that. but not for a few years now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing