The Predator (2018) Action, Adventure, Horror | 14 September 2018 (USA)

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels

When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe's most lethal hunters return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

Director: Shane Black
Writers: Fred Dekker, Shane Black
Stars: Yvonne Strahovski, Olivia Munn, Jacob Tremblay

Big fan of the Predator franchise and this looks very good, can't wait to see it!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
When a young boy accidentally triggers the universe's most lethal hunters return to Earth, only a ragtag crew of ex-soldiers and a disgruntled science teacher can prevent the end of the human race.

Darn kid is always causing trouble.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They say "hybrid" in the trailer, what does that mean?

IMO the hybrid thing is getting plaid out, bad. It's like people want to use it as a free meal ticket, but they don't realize no one goes to see movies because of it.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
As far as I can make out of this last trailer, "hybrid" means a fusion between a human and a predator. Looks like one of the soldiers is infected or injected with predator DNA and turns into the bigger super predator fighting the original predator.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This film is making the news on several fronts.

First, it has terrible reviews...here's just one:
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...he-predator-is-a-manic-messy-disaster/570274/

Two, there was an incident that many talked about, and still ...
The lead actress, Olivia Munn, there was quite some action news surrounding one other cast member, and her voicing about it. It was also strange the reaction from the other cast members.
It's a strange situation all together, reminiscent a little of Asia Argento.

I don't know enough to make a fair assessment, and it looks like I'm not the only one.

But anyway it looks like a very bad movie, made for kids looking for thrills from a man inside a plastic suit, and a facelift. ...Typical Hollywood stuff from FOX studios.
Maybe they need a new suit and a new face? They sure do; Disney Marvel type of suit? They sure don't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Not moneymaker wise. :b

Film story/script/dialog/acting value?
I need to see it first, but I'm in no urgent rush.
I can speculate though; one predator in a flimsy plastic suit with a terrible looking face and trying to scare the other people around him is pretty lame.
With Marvel and DC comics @ least we have variety, diversification, colors, superheroes and villains by the boat load now...Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Batman fighting all his enemies...and his suit is awesome looking, made of Kevlar and carbon fiber.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The review Bob posted at least describes the first Predator movie for about 7/8ths of the description. How can we go wrong? (Ok maybe someone slightly more badass could be in it, well a few of the people could be)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Sounds like my kind of movie.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
By the numbers so far ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...dator-friday-11m-olivia-munn-shane-black/amp/

The budget for 'The Predator' was $88 million.
It was filmed in my backyard, Vancouver, BC.

Controversy

"Director Shane Black hired his longtime friend, Steven Wilder Striegel, for a minor, un-auditioned role in The Predator (as well as in Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys). Striegel has been a registered felony sex offender since 2010, after facing allegations that he attempted to lure a 14-year-old girl into a sexual relationship via email. A few days before picture lock on the film, Olivia Munn became aware of Wilder's history and approached Fox executives, insisting that the scene be removed.

Black defended his casting decision and his friend, until later issuing a public apology and rescinding those comments amid backlash. Fox released a statement saying that they were unaware of Striegel's status. Co-star Sterling Brown tweeted in support of Munn, but initially most other actors on the film remained silent, releasing statements after mounting public pressure."

If anyone went or is going to see this 'monster', I'm curious to read your impression.
As for Halloween, yes that would make a cool costume for the taller sized kids.

The original Predator with Arnold was cool. After that with all the sequels and the mixing recipes with Aliens...kids stuff. This latest I don't think it's much different, maybe even worse.
Anyway, in full honesty I am not inspired. Give me more Batman flicks from Nolan any day of the week.
Horror flicks (action?) ... I am not easily scared. ...Most of them are comedies anyway, like the 'Saw' franchise.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
My reply to all those who haven't actually seen the movie but feel the need to bombard us fanboys with links or countless drivel/nonsense/twaddle/claptrap/gibberish/rubbish/garbage/bull/blah/baloney;

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Release date over here is 3 October, took a day off work to go see the first screening. Leave the rock you live under once in a while instead of talking about things you know nothing about all the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing