SP-9 MKii update question

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello all,

Has anyone updated the powercord to IEC on an ARC SP-9?

Thanks in advance.

JD

I contemplated doing this mod on my old ARCD70Mk2. However, after some research, it became apparent that this is not the way to go. The hardwired power cord on your SP-9 is best left alone, IMO.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I contemplated doing this mod on my old ARCD70Mk2. However, after some research, it became apparent that this is not the way to go. (...)

Can we know why?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Couple of reasons. One..for resale value an original ARC piece is more desirable than one that has had this mod, Two..the iec mod can actually diminish the SQ of the unit. The hardwired cable was chosen specifically by ARC for this piece. Question is whether one believes that the hardwired cable is better than an iec ( which breaks the connection at the iec) or whether an upgraded power cord will off-set the loss. No real answer unless one has AB'ed both, but I was inclined to not go this route once I had seen several other similar opinions on other forums.
Microstrip, do you believe what I said has validity, or are you simply in the argumentative modus that we usually find you in??:(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Couple of reasons. One..for resale value an original ARC piece is more desirable than one that has had this mod, Two..the iec mod can actually diminish the SQ of the unit. The hardwired cable was chosen specifically by ARC for this piece. Question is whether one believes that the hardwired cable is better than an iec ( which breaks the connection at the iec) or whether an upgraded power cord will off-set the loss. No real answer unless one has AB'ed both, but I was inclined to not go this route once I had seen several other similar opinions on other forums.
Microstrip, do you believe what I said has validity, or are you simply in the argumentative modus that we usually find you in??:(

Although I am prepared to accept the argument of the resale value, I have owned more than one AR D70mk2 and I disagree on the quality of its power cable - at that period manufacturers were not concerned with the quality of power cables. In Europe we got the same cables, but bare wires and had to terminate them, so we could appreciate them. Along the years, ARC always supplied junk power cables with their electronics, expecting us to buy better power cables. At the factory they used quality cables in their systems, of a brand manufactured by a neighboring company.

Even conrad johnson, that now uses a special good sounding hospital grade inexpensive power cable for their amplifiers, only did it much later, when they already had IEC connectors.

I had very good positive experience swapping the standard supplied ARC power cables in all ARC equipment fitted with IECs that I have owned, I can't see why the D70 would be an exception sound wise. Shunyata was one of my preferred brands for ARC equipment.

I chime in threads when I have factual data or opinions based in my experience, that can surely be erroneous. My apologies if they disagree with yours and I can not agree with you. But I think it is the purpose of audio forums and I have owned more Audio Research units than I should have, but this brand has a special place in my audiophile soul ...

I could see that we debated the issue some time ago. No great difference in opinions in WBF since then ... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?21584-Arc-and-Power-Cables :)

Last edited:

curiousjim

Jun 8, 2018
60 miles from a big city.

Thanks DaveyF. Those are basically my thoughts. Just got this thing and I am going to do some tube rolling (Any suggestions anybody?) replace some of the RCA jacks and maybe a cap or six. Someone did some minor mods, but it's almost stock. ARC made a MKiii update also, so I'm going to see how much I can do.

JD

curiousjim

Jun 8, 2018
Hi Microstrip,

My thought for the original post was that the power wire is about 30 years old, and I was wondering if I could improve on it. Having said that I agree with DaveyF about disfiguring the piece, but if you have any ideas about just replacing the cable with something better, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

JD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,

My thought for the original post was that the power wire is about 30 years old, and I was wondering if I could improve on it. Having said that I agree with DaveyF about disfiguring the piece, but if you have any ideas about just replacing the cable with something better, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

JD

Please see the link I just added. FIY, when my conrad johnson vintage ART preamplifier was sent to cj to be upgraded to mk3 they added IEC power connectors and a pair of stock modern inexpensive power cables as part of the upgrade.

Surely you need a skilled technician to make a decent cut to fit an IEC plug - it is not difficult, but not everyone is qualified or has the tooling to do it. I would suggest a Furutech IEC connector if you want to have it done. BTW, you should first check if there is access to the power entry point and space enough for the bulky IEC connector.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just so that I am totally clear...I am certainly NOT recommending that IF the amp already has a iec outlet to NOT replace the stock power cord. The power cord supplied with most gear these days is pretty sub par. OTOH, I think with the classic gear of yesteryear, like I said before, cutting up the chassis to insert an iec and modding the innards to accept the iec, along with the extra connection that is now required- would lead me away from this mod.
If I remember correctly the ARC VT100 already had an iec outlet.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Rather than punching an iec hole into the chassis, I would recommend either hardwiring a replacement cord from Furutech / Oyaide / Nanotech etc or snipping the original cord a few inches away from the chassis and fixing a decent quality IEC inlet to it, taking care to secure & insulate well. The latter approach will facilitate experimentation with different cords and the amp can always be returned to stock without much hassle.

curiousjim

Jun 8, 2018
Rather than punching an iec hole into the chassis, I would recommend either hardwiring a replacement cord from Furutech / Oyaide / Nanotech etc or snipping the original cord a few inches away from the chassis and fixing a decent quality IEC inlet to it, taking care to secure & insulate well. The latter approach will facilitate experimentation with different cords and the amp can always be returned to stock without much hassle.

Yep, either of those thoughts are doable. I’d be More inclined to solder in something and not leave a tail. Also, if I put on a tail, the what if’s about that last six inches of the original cord would bug me forever.

JD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks. I wasn't sure, as Micro likes to contradict me on just about everything...along with all of the other members it seems, LOL.:D

You are wrong, fortunately I debate and learn a lot from other members who shown to have valid experience and opinions.

BTW, we are addressing SP9's and D70's if they were precious, ultra expensive collector vintage - sorry to say they are very common and we can get them easily around usd 1000. Besides the very first models, what makes ARC vintage valuable are the old beautiful VU meters. :)

IMHO (and that of most of the people in this forum) we can improve their sound significantly with better power cables. This is what I find relevant in our exchange of posts. Surely I respect your contrary position.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You are wrong, fortunately I debate and learn a lot from other members who have valid experience and opinions.

BTW, we are addressing SP9's and D70's if they were precious, ultra expensive collector vintage - sorry to say they are very common and we can get them easily around usd 1000. Besides the very first models, what makes ARC vintage valuable are the old beautiful VU meters. :)

IMHO (and most of the people in this forum) we can improve their sound significantly with better power cables.

Micro, like I said above, LOL.:eek:

BTW, I just sold my D70Mk2 for about twice what you stated....:rolleyes:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im still using good standard powercables on my Gear.
One advantage if mine is broken i dont have to run to the highend shop, i can just take the one from the microwave or coffeemachine.

The cable from the pre amp powersupply to my pre itself is hardwired and i suppose for a reason

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing