High Performance $2000-3000 Digital Music Server

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

We asked many people about the throughput of Toslink and got universal feedback that it is more than capable of 24/192 provided that the sending and receiving units are capable, which they are in the Macs. This stands to reason since fiber applications are used at much higher bit-rates through fiber in other applications. Since Marty has a Meitner and wanted to use the DAC in his player for a music server, we spent a lot of time with their engineers who validated Toslink as an excellent way to connect to their unit and in fact offered quite inexpensive Toslink cables for that purpose.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thats an interesting point with regards to which products can support 24/192 via Toslink.
I guess its similar to how some implement 24/192 via SPDIF where some enforce 2 ports/Dual for 192 while others use the single port implementation and may explain (one of the reasons beyond hardware capability) why there are products that are limited to 24/96 via Toslink.

One product that supports 24/192 via Toslink is the Devialet so that backs up what Russ says.

Cheers
Orb

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Orb,

Hearing the Devialet fed by iTunes without Amarra, via Toslink was what finally sold me on using the Mac as the server. I listened for over an hour to a wide range of music and was jaw dropped.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Orb,

Hearing the Devialet fed by iTunes without Amarra, via Toslink was what finally sold me on using the Mac as the server. I listened for over an hour to a wide range of music and was jaw dropped.

Hehe, considering the Devialet is an integrated+DAC it is damn impressive for its price IMO; just as a heads up it is nice that the price difference between Europe and Atlantic is roughly equal to the exchange rate, about £10,500 I think now for one.
Quite a few companies put up the price or allow the distributor to do so way beyond exchange rates from what I have seen when looking at products manufactured and then sold the other side of the atlantic.

Funny enough it is the Devialet that is making me come round to Mac-server idea as well :)

Thanks
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
has anyone heard of the Zero One Ti48? it is apparently a self-contained server, no wifi necessary (built-in, update-able database of 2M CD titles), no screen/keyboard necessary, archival burn (1:1 transfer) and 750GB Seagate harddrives. i2s output and S/PDIF. i am looking for something self-contained so i dont have to buy separate ipad, hook up to home network (which goes down frequently), etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing