High Performance $2000-3000 Digital Music Server

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Creating a music server seems like deja vu all over again for those of us involved with audio during the transition from analog to digital back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, with many of the same issues playing out in a yet to be stabilized arena. Is a digital server better than CD’s and/or analog? What is the best approach? What approach produces the best value versus quality end result? Whose products should I buy?

The following is a summary of what Marty and I discovered as we patrolled CES and THE Show, trying to pick the brains of anyone who seemed to have some knowledge and experience in this nascent arena. Since I am actively acting on what we learned I will offer periodic updates as my project proceeds.

First let’s answers some of the questions I posed in the first paragraph. Are digital music servers better than CD’s and/or analog? There is no one answer to this question since what constitutes better is highly personal combination of sound appreciation and convenience. Given a sufficiently enabled and quality DAC that can read up to 192/24, there is no loss with regard to CD, even SACD, and in fact, possibly better sound than you obtain from all but the very best/expensive CD players. With regard to analog, I am a purist that no amount of sampling can totally replace an analog wave and thus probably there is some auditory loss compared to the best analog playback.

The single most prevalent piece of audio gear at CES and THE Show was the iPad because it is simply the best vehicle for accessing your digital musical library. They were everywhere, especially in the high end rooms. Put simply, to use one to search and control the music is completely and instantly addicting. While an iPhone, iPod Touch or Android phone will do it equally well, the format for the iPad and the other new touch pads make them the way to go.

It is at this point that I need to offer a theory that I subscribe to -- that the main reason most of us play more digital than analog is convenience, not sound quality at the level that most of the people on this site listen. While a simple remote control gave the option to jump tracks, adjust volume, balance and input, to have your entire digital music library available with album art and other metadata sitting in your lap so that you can jump not just within a disk, but within your entire library is truly freedom from movement. It is currently the optimal way to choose the music that strikes your fancy at any point in time.

The answer to the second question regarding the best approach is very much a function of your resources and the importance of getting that last several percent of resolution. The good news is that you can get probably 97%+ of the best possible from a number of systems that are quite reasonable in price. You can also spend well over a $100k and have sound that is no better than what I am going to recommend for $3-5K, but you might not have some of the metal work that seems to be so important to high end audio lately. Probably going beyond the Weiss DAC or Audio Research DAC 8, each at $8K, produces little to no benefit.

So it is at this point that I feel I should share with you what Marty I learned from our CES knowledge mining as way to sort out what products might work for you if you choose to make the jump at this point.

1. Create your music files using its native sample rate. Most people feel that there is little to be gained by upconverting a sampling rate, despite the option to reduce noise floor, because you cannot create what was not there originally and you might alter some of the nuances by upconverting.

2. Computer optical drives are more than good enough for ripping your CD’s. Most feel that the drive present in the Mac Mini is more than good enough, but some feel that an external drive with solid metal case is the best way to go.

3. There are a number of ripping programs, especially for Window’s machines, but almost all seem to think that iTunes running on a Mac Mini is all that you need to rip your CD’s. However, there is somewhat universal agreement that you need at least 4 GB’s of ram to do this properly, especially if you wish to use the same computer to catalog and control your digital files. Most feel that there is no need for more than 4 GB’s of ram.

4. iTunes software can be divided into three functions: 1) ripping; 2) acquiring, cataloging and managing the meta data; and 3) playback. Almost all agree that iTunes does the first two functions just fine including ripping hi res disks if you have a suitable drive, but, in its current iteration (10.1.1) it is somewhat compromised on the playback side, both sonically and functionally because it is limited to 46/16 for playback and does not handle the music stream optimally.

Amarra software is designed to address iTunes’ playback deficiencies, while leaving the ripping and management components untouched.
    Almost all agreed that playback through Amarra sounds better, even at 46/16 and certainly at higher resolutions where iTunes cannot function, BUT, almost all talk about about some bugs between the Amarra and iTunes interfaces, which according to Amarra they are “addressing”.

The good news is that iTunes 11, due out in March, will allegedly playback 192/24 and one would guess will sound at least as good as Amarra because Apple/Jobs don’t like the idea of someone doing their products better than they do.
    The idea of no bugs is quite appealing to me.

5. There are much more varied opinions with the following points, so I will report what I learned. Almost all feel that USB is the least good way to connect your music server/computer to your DAC due to slower bit rates, jitter issues, etc. Some say that asynchronous USB solves this problem, while others say it is better than conventional USB, but still inferior to Toslink, AES/EBU and Firewire. Most seem to feel that Firewire is the best, but few DAC’s accept Firewire like the Weiss.

If you use a Mac for your server, and it seems like the smartest way to go for a dedicated server, you have the choice of miniToslink through the headphone socket, Firewire and conventional USB.
    One interesting thought was that it is important to make sure that you use a different interface for communicating with your hard drive than you use to connect with the DAC. So with any Mac and a non Firewire DAC, the best method is to use an external Firewire HD and connect with the DAC via miniToslink. Almost all agree that while music will sound good when stored on the internal HD of the computer, that music sounds better when on a dedicated Firewire external HD.

The answer to the third question, what products are best for you,is a bit more difficult due to individual needs. Since I did not want to spend $5-8k for a DAC at this point, I looked at DAC’s in the $2,500 and less price point. While there are a number of DAC’s on the market under $1000, most are USB and clearly seem to have a number of comprises and thus probably are not of sufficient quality for what I am seeking. It should be pointed out that the rate of evolution in the DAC arena is fast and to my way of thinking it just does not make sense to spend $5-8K unless you have a mega system and money to spend. I also want a DAC that was designed with firmware and software upgrade capability.

For me there were two choices for the DAC for my system that stood out as best choices. The first was the Rega DAC at $1000, which claims to have many of the DAC features and designed from their highly acclaimed Isis CD player. While I did not hear it, I was quite impressed with its design considerations, but disappointed that it had only single ended outputs. I ultimately purchased the Bryston BDA-1 at $2150 for several reasons. First, I heard it and was truly taken by its sound and it design considerations. In addition, TAS loves it and rates it Category A, it has balanced outputs and finally Bryston has developed their analog sections to among the best for solid state components and I wanted that in my analog section.

So the music server I plan to create at this point in time is as follows:
1. Dedicated Mac Mini with 4 GB of ram with iTunes 11 installed when released without Amarra unless Amarra still sounds better, which I do not expect
2. La Cie 1 TB Firewire HD connected to the Mac Mini via Firewire 800
3. La Cie external CD/DVD read/write optical drive for ripping in a metal case, connected to the Mac via USB
4. Mac Mini connected to the Bryston BDA-1 via miniToslink with the Bryston connected to my preamp through balanced cables.
5. I am also considering either an Oppo BDP 93 or 95 (if there are more benefits to the 95 than improved analog out sections because I will not be using that part of the unit) using the coaxial digital out to the Bryston BDA-1.

I hope that this is helpful.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the write-up. Good information although as you noted, there is not great consensus about many things here. My personal feeling is that USB to S/PDIF converters will likely provide the best path for getting audio out of the PC and then match it to your favorite DAC. Done properly with separate power and clocks, it can completely decouple the PC from the DAC. That said, this will push the prices up so it is not for everyone.

On this comment:

The good news is that iTunes 11, due out in March, will allegedly playback 192/24 and one would guess will sound at least as good as Amarra because Apple/Jobs don’t like the idea of someone doing their products better than they do. The idea of no bugs is quite appealing to me.

I don't think Apple will do what these "high-end" software players do. No one creating a mass market product will do the crazy things :) that audiophile players do like huge buffering of music files as that degrades performance of the system elsewhere. As a dedicated player, this not an issue but Apple is not about to make iTunes a dedicated server platform. So while higher resolution sample rate may be supported, I don't think it will satisfy everyone :).

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve and Amir,

I already had the Mac Mini and the Firewire HD and got a deal on the Bryston for business reasons so the overall cost for me was less than many would pay, but if everything was bought at list the Mac Mini would be $699, plus $100 for the 2GB ram upgrade, $175 for the La Cie, D2 1 TB Firewire drive and $2150 for the Bryston BDA-1 for a total list price of $3125 since iTunes comes with the Mac operating system. If Amarra is needed, the middle product for $500 will be the one to get.

Let me add that I would be very skeptical about what I have just written had I not heard it functioning in a number of systems at CES and most notably directly from a MacBook Pro using iTunes with the Devialet amp and Focal La Scala room for over an hour.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Mobiusman,

Thanks for that...very succinct and clear. Do you think the server you've configured would compete with Zanden, Metronome transports? if not, did you get any guidance on reclockers, anti-jitter devices (Empirical Audio mods?) and whether these could close the gap...or beat them? Thanks for any thoughts!

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Lloyd,

From what I can determine, the main gain of dedicated servers is potentially their interface, but that is a personal matter. Currently, there seems to be little doubt that Amarra in combination with the current iTunes is better than iTunes alone, but that may change with iTunes 11 or I will buy Amarra and use it for playback. What I am describing here is quite different than a multi-room server/system. It is a dedicated one system server. As long as the music file is lossless (non compressed) and the dac of good quality and sonics, the sound should be at least as good as CD. All I know, is that many of the best sounding systems I heard at CES were using variants of what I have described above.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi M-man,

thanks for that...sorry if i was not clear...my question was about dedicated music servers as well. in other words, did you get any sense that sticking an anti-jitter or reclocker between the MAC and the DAC would improve the sound by decreasing any jitter or noise? i have heard some suggest that once the signal leaves the MAC and enters the DAC, there can be transmission imperfections. I think Empirical Audio does some mods, for example, to MAC Books which i dont understand but apparently significantly reduce jitter.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am certainly no expert in this area and am merely relaying what people have told me , trying to sort out what I hear consistently and what makes sense. It seems that the clocking issues are very dependent on how the Mac is connnected to the DAC, with there being some serious problems with USB and the least problems with Firewire, but very little to none with TosLink and even less with AES/EBU. One of the things that I like about the Bryston DAC because it reclocks all inputs. Also people state that many clocking problems come from overly long connections between server and DAC. Supposedly a meter is the optimal length with TosLink, which until I find some way to get Firewire into the DAC is what I will probably use when the DAC arrives next week.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Mobiusman,

helpful...until Zanden came out with their i2s transport 2000p, i heard the best way to plug into it was via AES as well. (I own Zanden DAC i got s/hand at a good price...i went this route specifically to avoid putting lots of money into a transport...and finding out in less than 5 years, i cannot find any place to buy CDs). please post when the DAC arrives. thanks again.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If I understand this correctly, you can go into the audio midi setup screen in OSX and change the rate up to 32/96, but iTunes will not switch between these automatically, to play native rates, so whatever its set at, the file will be up/down-converted to meet that setting. Amarra and Pure Audio do not require this re-setting of sample rate and bit length, they switch automatically to play the native rates of the files. I don't know if this means they can do 192. What I do know is that I've tried Amarra and Pure Audio in my home and couldn't be sure I was hearing a difference when playing redbook files. I say I couldn't be sure because you can't switch rapidly between these programs and iTunes to get a good A/B, and by the time you close down iTunes, re-start using Pure Audio and start up the same file, well, expectations are definitely in play and frankly, I didn't expect to hear a difference.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am " almost there" regarding Mobiusman suggested path, I am using an iMac fitted with Puremusic thru USB to S/PDF Stello converter and then to my Reimyo DAC.

My files were all ripped in WAV format to the Mac using my iPad as remote...

Still a little behind the GamuT/Reimyo source and far behind my analog rig, but... very convenient for casual listening.

My feeling is that we are still not there as for replacing other current sources, but no doubt that it is the future.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Remote from the appstore Steve, just choose 2x the regular iPhone size.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Fernando,

Continuing my role as a parrot and not a sage, two of the things Marty and I heard over and over again were: 1) do not use the USB out of the Mac Mini and likely any standard Mac to the DAC if possible because of some serious clocking errors and inferior sound. Most feel that unless you have a Firewire capable DAC, that the miniToslink is vastly superior to the USB, not just because the interface is superior to USB in general, but because it is specifically better on the Mini than the USB; 2) if you must use the USB out to the DAC then make sure that you are using a Firewire connected HD or you will risk even more sound degradation and clocking errors because of trying to coordinate USB in and outs simultaneously.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando,

Continuing my role as a parrot and not a sage, two of the things Marty and I heard over and over again were: 1) do not use the USB out of the Mac Mini and likely any standard Mac to the DAC if possible because of some serious clocking errors and inferior sound. Most feel that unless you have a Firewire capable DAC, that the miniToslink is vastly superior to the USB, not just because the interface is superior to USB in general, but because it is specifically better on the Mini than the USB; 2) if you must use the USB out to the DAC then make sure that you are using a Firewire connected HD or you will risk even more sound degradation and clocking errors because of trying to coordinate USB in and outs simultaneously.

Thanks Mobiusman - actually my iMac died (it is an old version) and I am thinking to get a Mac Mini and follow that route....

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the write-up. Good information although as you noted, there is not great consensus about many things here. My personal feeling is that USB to S/PDIF converters will likely provide the best path for getting audio out of the PC and then match it to your favorite DAC. Done properly with separate power and clocks, it can completely decouple the PC from the DAC. That said, this will push the prices up so it is not for everyone.

On this comment:

I don't think Apple will do what these "high-end" software players do. No one creating a mass market product will do the crazy things :) that audiophile players do like huge buffering of music files as that degrades performance of the system elsewhere. As a dedicated player, this not an issue but Apple is not about to make iTunes a dedicated server platform. So while higher resolution sample rate may be supported, I don't think it will satisfy everyone :).

Although just to add USB does not provide an ideal way to isolate the DAC from the PC/laptop.
In a different thread I mentioned how Paul Miller (in their Hifi News publication) highlighted how the lack of isolation is generating jitter, which is then also compounded by the USB cable.
He backed this up with measurements showing this happening with severeal products, while another colleague showed how he could affect the noise floor (or something like that) with several different USB DACs - was affecting downstream amp but he noted this is due to not perfect design of certain amps in their own isolation as well, so depending how well the isolation design is of the downstream amp this may or may not be an additional consideration.

Any other products mention their isolation design in the same context as the Ayre USB DAC?

Cheers
Orb

metronimo

Oct 10, 2010
My Linux based music server

My music server is made with old and refurbished parts. The computer is a ASUS barebone media server with a 2.8Mhz 32bits Pentium4, fitted with a 1TB WD hard disk connected through a SATA/ATA converter. A generic 32 inches HDTV is connected with a VGA cable and the resolution is set to full HD. I control it with an infrared wireless keyboard. The audio card is a $30 PCI card with a Wolfson DAC on board (Chaintech AV710).

It runs with Ubuntu Linux and a real-time kernel so that all audio softwares and drivers have full priority for maximum stability. The file system is the old JFS from IBM, because it is fast and very reliable. I use a version of the Jackd sound server software (for inter-application communication at 32bits/96Khz) maintained by the French Grame music research center. My favorite player software is Aqualung; it supports tabbed playlists, gapless playing, high quality up-sampling and filters. I also use the Gnu Music Player Daemon because it requires very few resources and can be remotely controlled and many ways. All my music is ripped with the FLAC codec.

Although it works very well, I will upgrade it with a multiple core Intel board and processor. Intel offers a "classic" motherboard with 5 PCI slots, so I will still be able to use my old PCI cards. I will put it in a vintage ATX case and I won't care if it's noisy because it will live in a server room. I will try to connect together the hardware clocks of three $15 PCI sound cards with good enough sound chips, so I can try ambiosonics and bass management with 24 available channels connected to 12 stereo class-D amps.

:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing