Tonearm choice for Kuzma Stabi M and ZYX Universe II

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi,
Please, help me decide on a tonearm for this combination of the TT and the cartridge. I already have the ZYX Universe II and plan to get the TT hopefully soon. Initially, I decided on Graham Phantom III. But now I am torn between Graham and Kuzma 4P. Any suggestion or advice will be much appreciated.
And another thing is the tonearm length. I've pretty much decided on 12", but after reading the recent debate on tonearm length, I am also in doubt. Maybe a 9" version would be a better choice? It is much easier to find a 9" Graham tonearm, and it is less wait time than for the 12" version.
Thanks,
Aziz

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dctom, another Lampi 242 user has the kuzma xl4 with 4p, Lyra atlas, colibri, and shelter harmony. Ypsilon phono and Lyra SUT. Ask him how difficult it is for his analog to outshine the Lampi.

That said, my favorite kuzma demo came from the stabi M and the 9 inch 4p with proteus and airtight phono. I also like the zyx. It is one of my favorite carts. It seems to be friendly to various arms, I liked it on SME, fr64s, Ikeda 407. Number95 uses it with the Graham elite. But since you have the kuzma stabi M, try the 9 inch first since they come made for each other?

Which phono are you planning?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And another thing is the tonearm length. I've pretty much decided on 12", but after reading the recent debate on tonearm length, I am also in doubt. Maybe a 9" version would be a better choice? It is much easier to find a 9" Graham tonearm, and it is less wait time than for the 12" version.
Thanks,
Aziz

Dear Sir,

Just get a 4pt any length and be done with. It is an excellent arm that looks good on your Stabi. Regarding the length, if it is the same brand and model of arm, the sonic difference is very likely slight. If you don’t have two same arms of different length on the same table at the same time with the same cart you are unlikely to recognize difference.

Kind regards,
Tang

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have the Stabi M and the standart 4 point. I use the continuous single silver cabling without the box with eichmann plugs at the end. I am very happy with it, do not get caught up in the 9", 12", 14" arm length, they all have pros and cons.

However, about the cable options, may I suggest using a single cable. This makes a difference, lower capacitance to start with. I use passive pre and it makes an audible difference. The box is good to try different cables but, single cable is about half the capacitance of the box. The box means more connectors, more loss regardless of the quality of the connector. It will also mean, you will keep buying different phono cables rather than buying new records :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Graham Phantom on Stabi M is just wrong. Sorry.

Get a standard 4-point. The table was made for that arm, and it's a great arm. The 9-inch 4-point is a lesser arm, IMO - not just a shorter version of the standard 4-point. You could go with the 14" 4-point if you don't mind keeping the cover open while playing records. Either way, I love my Stabi M + 4-point. And I second the recommendation for the Transfiguration Proteus cart. I'm running a Proteus on mine as well, and it's a winning combo. Every Zyx cart I've heard has been too warm, but I guess that can be a matter of taste. I'd prefer to get the detail and dynamics of the Proteus, 4-point combo and dial in warmth to taste through the phono or amp - if that's your thing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to know the 9 inch is a lesser arm. Did not know that.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Good to know the 9 inch is a lesser arm. Did not know that.

One thing the 9" has over the 11" and 14" is sapphire pivot cups.... I can say that strong rumors suggest these becoming available as upgrades for the 11" and 14" in the near future. :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Dear Sir,

Just get a 4pt any length and be done with. It is an excellent arm that looks good on your Stabi. Regarding the length, if it is the same brand and model of arm, the sonic difference is very likely slight. If you don’t have two same arms of different length on the same table at the same time with the same cart you are unlikely to recognize difference.

Kind regards,
Tang
Dear Tang,

I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a great sense of humor, which is a must in our crazy hobby:)
While it seems that 4p is a natural choice for any Kuzma TT, will it be a good match for the ZYX cartridge? I know, Graham and ZYX is a good combination, but have not read anything about 4p and ZYX.

Regards,
Aziz

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
One thing the 9" has over the 11" and 14" is sapphire pivot cups.... I can say that strong rumors suggest these becoming available as upgrades for the 11" and 14" in the near future. :)

It’s weird how they put the sapphire pivot cups in the lesser arm ;)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Agree with all --The 4 Point is the one in this case-- a far better choice than the Graham.

BruceD

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Dear Tang,

I always enjoy reading your posts. You have a great sense of humor, which is a must in our crazy hobby:)
While it seems that 4p is a natural choice for any Kuzma TT, will it be a good match for the ZYX cartridge? I know, Graham and ZYX is a good combination, but have not read anything about 4p and ZYX.

Regards,
Aziz

I think you have to think about your priorities optimal arm synergy with table versus cartridge

I don’t think anyone can give you the correct answer to this, but putting together combos everyone knows works well makes sense

Perhaps consider changing arm and cartridge to optimally match with Kuzma M

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It’s weird how they put the sapphire pivot cups in the lesser arm ;)

They'll change the sound of the arm. But will that change be to your liking or not is unknown. I'm going to try it on one of my two 4- points when the upgrade comes available.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Agree with all --The 4 Point is the one in this case-- a far better choice than the Graham.

BruceD
Bruce and others, can you elaborate? Other that both Stabi and 4p are manufactured by Kuzma, what is the rationale for your preference? Certainly Graham Phantom is not a lesser tonearm, than 4p.

rossb

May 24, 2017
Get a standard 4-point. The table was made for that arm, and it's a great arm. The 9-inch 4-point is a lesser arm, IMO - not just a shorter version of the standard 4-point.

I've owned both versions of the 4 Point and I agree. The 9 inch version sounds lightweight by comparison. The standard 4 Point is superior.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Ok, you guys convinced me, I’ve decided to go for the standard 4Point. Franc advised me, that the following wiring options are available: standard is Crystal Cable silver, optional is Crystal Cable Mono X, Kondo or Cardas Clear. I am thinking of Kondo, but any advice / opinion would be much appreciated.
Also, he said, I can send my cartridge to him, and they will setup everything at the factory and will ship to me completely configured and ready to use table. Do you think I should do it?
Thanks,
Aziz

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ok, you guys convinced me, I’ve decided to go for the standard 4Point. Franc advised me, that the following wiring options are available: standard is Crystal Cable silver, optional is Crystal Cable Mono X, Kondo or Cardas Clear. I am thinking of Kondo, but any advice / opinion would be much appreciated.
Also, he said, I can send my cartridge to him, and they will setup everything at the factory and will ship to me completely configured and ready to use table. Do you think I should do it?
Thanks,
Aziz

Yes, let Franc do it, IMO! He's awesome, and his customer service is second to none.

I can't say I've heard any other cables on my 4 points other than the silver. I'd ask Franc which is the least colored and most detailed and go with that. I suspect it's the standard silver, but I'm curious as to what he says. And I'd personally characterize the 4 point itself as slightly warm (which is why the silver probably works well). But this is going to be a personal decision and there's no right or wrong answer.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks for the response. I did ask Franc about the cables. He said, it is a matter of taste, and he would rather not give any advice:)
I also told him, my system is very revealing, the room is not treated, and sometimes I wish the sound would be a tad warmer. In this case, he said, I should try Cardas.
I have my doubts about Cardas. Standard silver or Kondo would be a safe choice in my view. Crystal Cable Mono-X is the most expensive option, but I have not heard anything about this brand.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks for the response. I did ask Franc about the cables. He said, it is a matter of taste, and he would rather not give any advice:)
I also told him, my system is very revealing, the room is not treated, and sometimes I wish the sound would be a tad warmer. In this case, he said, I should try Cardas.
I have my doubts about Cardas. Standard silver or Kondo would be a safe choice in my view. Crystal Cable Mono-X is the most expensive option, but I have not heard anything about this brand.

I would go with the Cardas too as your system is already very revealing as you said. My carbon fiber arm wand tends to have narrower tonal width comparing to stainless steel. The 4 pt is also carbon fiber like SAT I believe. The silver wire will not help the tonal width but the copper certainly wouldnt worsen. The copper wire that come with my SME arm doesnt give any less details and resolution than the silver wire. It doesnt attentuate certain frequencies either. Then again it is the subject that can not really be recommended as Mr.Kuzma said.

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing