Climbers shatter El Capitan record in achievement compared to four-minute mile

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Congrats to Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell! Two all-time great Yosemite climbers.

Of course, the more the envelope is pushed, the greater the risk. Less time to set protection, simultaneously climbing, running belays, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-climbers-die-in-fall-from-yosemite-rock-face

Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ken, in your estimation how many speed climbers do it for the passion of the sport? Or is it about breaking new records?

Very tragic to die in that sport. No room for errors.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Heard this on the radio this afternoon and still cant get my head around it.
I would love to watch a single cam shot from bottom just to see it happen for reals!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken, in your estimation how many speed climbers do it for the passion of the sport? Or is it about breaking new records?

Very tragic to die in that sport. No room for errors.

In my opinion, to be able to climb at this level (world class), you have to have a strong passion and devotion to the sport. Endless hours training, honing technique and planning these climbs. But I do believe speed climbing can become highly addictive. Trying to be the fastest can become an obsession and corners will inevitably be cut when physical limits have been maxed out.

Best,
Ken

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In my opinion, to be able to climb at this level (world class), you have to have a strong passion and devotion to the sport. Endless hours training, honing technique and planning these climbs. But I do believe speed climbing can become highly addictive. Trying to be the fastest can become an obsession and corners will inevitably be cut when physical limits have been maxed out.

Best,
Ken

I agree; they have a strong passion, a deep connection with the rocks they are climbing, ...their agility, physical strength...like a mountain.

Practice, experience, the will to push the limits, the feeling of the adrenaline rush, the dance with the rocks.

I don't see it as an addiction more than a way of life. It's a choice because it makes you feel good and alive, alive to the max. You have what it takes, you make a communion and you follow that path, that lifestyle, that union, that connection where you find the meaning of life, of your own innerself. It's your destiny.

It's not for the glory, not for the competition, not for the money and prestige; it's for your own balance in life where you are @ peace with you, with the rock and the rest of the world...the sky and the eagle and the sun. ...The true rock climbers.

Speed is more challenging, putting your limits to the test of conquest and perils.
It's part of human nature in some of us with non-man-made natural structures.

Some climb skyscrapers, some climb K2 and Everest, some climb icefalls, some climb rocks...90 degree steep and even steeper...under.

Some climb El Capitan in less than two hours...wow!
___

That's my take from interviews and from my way of thinking. ...Primarily from my way of thinking. ...A natural life's balance from your own challenges.

If you deviate from that balance you lose your grip, and fly down with the consequences.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing