Best Audio Frequency Analyzer?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Studio Six Digital on a recent vintage iPad works reasonably well.

You’ll need the app, one of their calibrated mics, and their outboard sound card to use the advanced functionality.

Exactly, you need all the ancillaries, it does work well to get you in the direction you want-- without calibrated mics & sound card its not ideal.

Lots of flexibility with it- however, because of the add ons with Studio six I liked the XTZ package better.

YMMV and all that.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Exactly, you need all the ancillaries, it does work well to get you in the direction you want-- without calibrated mics & sound card its not ideal.

Lots of flexibility with it- however, because of the add ons with Studio six I liked the XTZ package better.

YMMV and all that.

XTZ or REQ are both terrific packages. Yes, there's a learning curve (less steep with XTZ), but, it's not all that hard (easier than getting VTA right!) and you'll learn a lot more about the behavior of your system in your room.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This along with an i device should be plenty to do bass towers and other minor things.

imm-6_photo_4_3.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you want "plug and play" (and have $300) the OmniMic product is what I have used for the last 7 years. Has everything I need and then some. You can literally be up and running in 10 minutes. I can't say that for REW (which is also an excellent choice but in my opinion and experience, not as easy to use out of the box). (...)

We need many tens - even hundreds - of hours of reading and experimentation before carrying any useful measurement and understanding it. Why debating the initial 10-30 minutes?

Please note that Ron wants to set acoustic treatments, not set up equalizers, AV systems or similar.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Ron here you go. NTI XL2 meter and M2230 calibrated microphone. Cheapest price is from Markertek 1379.00 for the meter and 1659.00 for the microphone.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I doubt you'll get much use out of it beside personal entertainment (and I don't mean for tuning the stereo).

Ron, I wish I knew you wanted a Phonic PPA. I threw mine out because it was sitting on a shelf doing nothing since I bought the iPad Analyzer program by onyx3 for $15. It's far more useful although quite rudimentary.

To be honest, I would love to use XTC or OmniMic, but these are Windows programs. Pity the poor Mac OS user! Does anyone know of similar programs that are Mac friendly?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron here you go. NTI XL2 meter and M2230 calibrated microphone. Cheapest price is from Markertek 1379.00 for the meter and 1659.00 for the microphone.

Thank you, Jeffy! That is responsive my question!

Do you know how this devices compared to the Phonic in terms of ease-of-use and accuracy?

Awww, thank you, Marty!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, Jeffy! That is responsive my question!

Do you know how this devices compared to the Phonic in terms of ease-of-use and accuracy?

Ron,

Unless you want to certify you system for laboratory or industrial use, accuracy is not the most critical parameter - high-end is not accurate per definition ... Any usd 100 calibrated microphone will be enough for your needs. Current electronics of analyzers are very accurate, the bottleneck is the microphone.

BTW, you need a sound analyzer, not an an audio analyzer as stated in the thread tittle. But perhaps you can tell us what you want to do with it more precisely. Otherwise the thread will have a very low signal to noise ratio.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ron, I wish I knew you wanted a Phonic PPA. I threw mine out because it was sitting on a shelf doing nothing since I bought the iPad Analyzer program by onyx3 for $15. It's far more useful although quite rudimentary.

To be honest, I would love to use XTC or OmniMic, but these are Windows programs. Pity the poor Mac OS user! Does anyone know of similar programs that are Mac friendly?

But Apple/Mac device users have the advantage of WBF's Channel Now LIVE on Apple News! • http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...on-Apple-News!&p=455361&viewfull=1#post455361

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

I run Windoze Apps--Adjust + /etc on my MacBook Pro with VirtualBox--easy peasy:D

BruceD

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Ron you want accuracy that’s the one. You’ll never have to look for better. You never find these used; what does that say.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing