AUDIOCON 2018 at The Source AV

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bob Levi, of the Los Angeles Orange County Audiophile Society, has organized, with Jason Lord, AUDIOCON:

A17E2C65-523C-44D5-98A3-8C09D5BC2F09.jpg

199E712E-6745-4821-99DE-9F078A8B2041.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I will be there at 10 AM on Saturday!

Jason has absolutely amazing home theater rooms, as well as audio rooms, and if you have not seen his facility you should see it this weekend!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Today Jason Lord, owner of The Source AV, in Torrance, California, just South of Los Angeles, hosted Bob Levi and the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society Audiocon June 2018 event.

IMG_0169.JPG

Two of the main attractions of the event were demonstrations and class instruction sessions by McIntosh, and tube repair tutorials by George Meyer AV. A large number of senior McIntosh representatives were present and very friendly and helpful to all attendees.

IMG_0167.JPG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The biggest audio-only system at the event was a system fronted by gorgeous Sonus Faber Lilium loudspeakers.

image51.jpg

50.jpg

IMG_0130.JPG

An elaborate multi-box, all McIntosh system, including the McIntosh MT 10-TT turntable and cartridge, was arrayed along the front wall of the acoustically-treated largest audio room.

image1.jpg

Reactions: Jleeck

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was grateful to hear the Yuko Mabuchi Trio, an LP sponsored by the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society, which was beautifully recorded and sounded very transparent and dynamic. But something didn’t sound quite as warm and quite as natural as great vinyl typically sounds.

IMG_0156.JPG

image2.jpg

image41.jpg

image21.jpg

So I looked closer and I saw that the signal is going through the McIntosh MEN 220 Room Correction System, an elaborate digital sonic room correction device. I think the signal processing from the device may have been making the sound a bit dry and a bit digital.

image36.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the room in which I spent the second most time a Boulder 1060 Stereo Amplifier was driving Raihdo C3.2 speakers. The Boulder 1021 Disc Player was the source, with assistance from the Boulder 1010 Preamplifier.

All digital and I played a low resolution mix-up CD I had in my car but I enjoyed listening to my driving songs on a great system! I was very pleasantly surprised that even with my CD of low-resolution files the system did not sound at all 1980s-bright. I think Raidho makes great loudspeakers!

image10.jpg

image20.jpg

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The McIntosh representatives demonstrated Jason’s top-of-the-line McIntosh multi-channel home theater system, backed up with JL Audio Gotham subwoofers. This is the largest of Jason’s three (3) home theater demo rooms.

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

IMG_0159.JPG

The full-range loudspeakers were the McIntosh XRT2.1K.

The sound playing multi-channel demo tracks was stunningly dynamic and powerful.

IMG_0163.JPG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_0161.JPG

image11.jpg

IMG_0162.JPG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Here is Jason’s middle-sized home theater demo room.

image40.jpg

image5.jpg

image30.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In Jason’s second smallest audio room I found an analog system featuring a Dr. Feickert Woodpecker turntable and tonearm with an Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge. Once I discovered this system and I put an LP (Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Couldn’t Stand the Weather) on the turntable I spent by far the most time listening to music in this room. The sound was fantastic: transparent, dynamic, emotionally-involving and natural!

Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage speakers were being driven by McIntosh MC2301 tube power amplifiers. A McIntosh C2600 tube preamplifier completed the system.

Though this is one of Jason’s smaller systems it is what I was looking for: all-tube + turntable and no digital room correction manipulation. I was very happy spending a large portion of the afternoon listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn on this all-tube, all analog system! The Homage is a wonderful loudspeaker!

This is at least the fourth time I have heard the Dr. Feickert in different systems and liked it. It is a modest design for a reasonable price and the thing sounds great every time. That turntable is a great value and a musical winner!

I had never heard the Stradivari Homage before. I liked it very much.

Interestingly I see that Michael Fremer gave this speaker a rave review in January of 2005.

image23.jpg

33.jpg

image44.jpg

image53.jpg

image63.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jason selects a winning raffle ticket.

image46.jpg

The Source AV also has the largest high-end headphone and headphone amplifier demo room in the entire United States!

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

Jason’s facility is very large and impressive. If you have not seen it you should take a trip and visit The Source AV!

Jason has created one of the most impressive home theater demo rooms in the United States, and he has achieved fantastic sound from small, medium and large audio-only systems alike! Jason has been in the high-end audio business a very long time and he knows what he’s doing to achieve musical and emotionally-involving sound reproduction at all price levels.

Thanks to Jason Lord and Bob Levi for organizing, and thanks to Jason for hosting, a very fun audio event!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing