Getting an Ampex ATR-102, looking for 10 reel titles to start me up!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
You're very welcome, Larry. :)

It occurs to me the most reliable method for procuring AAA program material in reel format is to go straight to the label.
The label, of course, must establish its bona fides.

We're fortunate there exists a number of labels that satisfy this AAA profile. Then, there is the matter of the recording, itself.
I don't have sufficient experience, yet, to determine if these AAA recording labels have a house sound, e.g. RVG for jazz or
perhaps, Decca for classical.

As one interested in minimal mic technique, e.g. non-close mic'd, recording of acoustic performances, I may listen to these
various labels differently than other listeners.

My resolution for obtaining bona fide AAA reel program material will likely revolve around establishing a budget and requesting
the label select program material, which they assert represent the best examples in their catalog of the AAA reel medium.
I may not care for the music, necessarily; however, I should get quite an education relevant to recording technique and its presentation
via home reproduction.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Kodomo,

Enjoy the ride :cool:

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Just ordered Muddy Waters - Folk Singer from Analogue Productions as it is a favourite album of mine! So Masekela and Prokofiev tapes will be waiting till I get my preffered tapes from each company.

Next, when I turn back from my trip in a week, I will be ordering Nikolai Kazantsev's Astor Piazzolla tape.

I am waiting for Ed Pong now, he will let me know when his tapes are ready, and those will be the next ones after Nikolai's tape.

After that, I will give a shot for international phonographic tapes.

This master tape stuff will ruin me for sure...

at least you´re sinking with the flag up on top! :cool:
best
Leif

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I already started to get my tapes but I am not yet loading them on my machine.

I started cleaning it and found out I would need to change the capstan. The rubber on it is gone! I am looking to get a new capstan from Athan. This is what Goreski from analog rules has recommended me. Thi is supposed to be much better than original ATR part. (https://www.athan.com/store/p18/ATR-100_Ampex_Capstan/_Tach_Assembly_1/2"_.html) Does anybody use one? Should I change the timer wheel assembly along with it?

I will also be getting MRL tapes from ATR services to calibrate my machine. Getting an oscilloscope as well...

Any other recommendations for keeping up my ATR-102. I already got a few litres of 99,9 isopropyl alcohol :)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Kodomo, where are you located? A good, experienced Ampex ATR-100 tech is always nice to have nearby. There were many studios around the US particularly that had Ampex ATR-102's or their variants. So there are a fair number of techs who have good experience. Mine in the SF Bay Area, Krieg Wunderlich, was recommended by a mastering engineer friend, Paul Stubblebine, who has 4 or 5 ATR-102's which he uses to do the Tape Project tape mastering and duplication. Krieg does all of Paul's maintenance work as well as work at a bunch of studios. O course, ATR Services (ATRservices.com) in Pennsylvania, is a great source of parts and will repair and fix. John French (jrfmagnetics.com) for head relapping, Greg Orton (fluxmagnetics.com) in northern California for new heads.

If you don't know how to put the tape into play or record mode, you have to load it by a quick wrist movement to the left on the left reel. There are two fast modes, regular and library. Library mode is slower (hit FF or REW and PLAY at the same time) but gives a very smooth tape pack wind, like what you get after playing the tape at normal speed.

One simple safety issue, if you are moving around your machine, open up the front of the case and make sure that all the cards are seated in their slots after the move.

Finally, if you haven't downloaded the Ampex ATR-100 manual, AnalogRules in SF, has the ATR-100 manual free for downloading https://www.analogrules.com/manuals/ampex_manuals1.html. It is very long and detailed, but shows how to do most everything on the machine, including setting bias for the two different kinds of audio cards, setting dip switches, and maintenance. Written by people who write technical manuals, so it is not like reading a Harry Potter novel.

Good luck,

Larry

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks Astrotoy. I am located in Antalya, Turkey. So no techs for me. I already contacted ATRservices and Goreski from Analog Rules, downloaded the manual too. I am planning to the calibrations etc. by myself. It will take some time but I think I can learn.

The machine is operational, after cleaning yesterday I loaded up a tape I can spare and listened. I need to change the capstan as there is no rubber left on it. I am thinking about changing the timer wheel assembly along with it. I do not know if I should use the Athan corp, mdi precisionmotorworks or the ATRservice replacements.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Thanks Astrotoy. I am located in Antalya, Turkey. So no techs for me. I already contacted ATRservices and Goreski from Analog Rules, downloaded the manual too. I am planning to the calibrations etc. by myself. It will take some time but I think I can learn.

The machine is operational, after cleaning yesterday I loaded up a tape I can spare and listened. I need to change the capstan as there is no rubber left on it. I am thinking about changing the timer wheel assembly along with it. I do not know if I should use the Athan corp, mdi precisionmotorworks or the ATRservice replacements.

Hi Kodomo,

For what it’s worth, I have had good success with the Athan pinch rollers (the wheel with the rubber is the pinch roller, not the capstan, FYI - the capstan is the metal part that is turned by a motor and is stationary in the deck, that the rubber pinch roller comes up to meet when the tape transport is engaged in play or record mode).

Best
Rob

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
capstan

These are the capstan. They have polyurethane (athan - pale yellow) or thermoplastic elastomer (mdi precisionmotorworks, red) on them.

Am I wrong?

Here is a quote from ATRservice
"Many tape recorder options are open to the audiophile from the consumer grade transports to full studio recorders. Again the best choice is the Ampex ATR-102. For the same reason that the ATR-102 is the only logical choice for the studio pro translates identically to the audiophile. Being a direct drive with no pinch roller, the ATR-102 is very easy on tapes and our ATR-102 is the lowest wow and flutter deck available."

Attachments

• capstano.jpg
    capstano.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 51
  • s518509380935924209_p18_i2_w640.jpeg
    s518509380935924209_p18_i2_w640.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 51

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
These are the capstan. They have polyurethane (athan - pale yellow) or thermoplastic elastomer (mdi precisionmotorworks, red) on them.

Am I wrong?

Here is a quote from ATRservice
"Many tape recorder options are open to the audiophile from the consumer grade transports to full studio recorders. Again the best choice is the Ampex ATR-102. For the same reason that the ATR-102 is the only logical choice for the studio pro translates identically to the audiophile. Being a direct drive with no pinch roller, the ATR-102 is very easy on tapes and our ATR-102 is the lowest wow and flutter deck available."

If you appreciate the ATR 100/102 series you should be happy to know that what separates the boys from man is scrape flutter, not just wow and flutter. IMHO any audiophile going into tape should read the excellent articles by Dale Manquen - unfortunately the pictures are now missing, I can post them in WBF if moderators allow it. http://www.manquen.net/audio/docs/Flutter%20Measurement%20-%20the%20book.htm. And here size and weight mean something - Studer A820 - A80 and ATR100 -102 are in a different class.

But machines need proper maintenance and tuning - see this horrible graphs of a Studer A80 as just got from eBay some years ago (they are much easier to get and get parts in Europe than ATR's) : http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14129-Desert-island-R2R-1-4-quot-2-track-master-player&p=261034&viewfull=1#post261034

BTW, “Scrape flutter” is the colloquial name for speed variations in tape transports due to longitudinal vibrations of the tape. This
is also sometimes erroneously called the “violin string effect” (a violin string executes transverse vibrations)
- from “Scrape Flutter”1 and Tape Compliance (Elasticity) Bibliography by Jay McKnight2.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
You are right, sorry, my mistake. I was speaking more generically and didn’t realize the ATR-102 is a pinch roller-less design. I have learned something!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing