No 31.5

old school

Feb 24, 2016
I bought a NO 31.5. It just had a new laser assembly installed by a Levinson certified shop. I was told it was $2200. Apparently the laser for this model has 2 drive motors, that are part of the laser setup. Everything else was up to spec.

This is replacing a NO 37. should I expect any improvement? Even if I don't see an improvement, I have wanted one of these for a long time, It is an awesome looking piece!

I called a Levinson shop about parts availability. I was told most everything is still available. Also was told the laser would be what would need replacing, eventually.

So with a new laser, hope I'm
good for awhile...……

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I bought a NO 31.5. It just had a new laser assembly installed by a Levinson certified shop. I was told it was $2200. Apparently the laser for this model has 2 drive motors, that are part of the laser setup. Everything else was up to spec.

This is replacing a NO 37. should I expect any improvement? Even if I don't see an improvement, I have wanted one of these for a long time, It is an awesome looking piece!

I called a Levinson shop about parts availability. I was told most everything is still available. Also was told the laser would be what would need replacing, eventually.

So with a new laser, hope I'm
good for awhile...……

The ML 31.5 is a great sounding CD transport. Although depending on DAC it gives music a solid foundation - sometimes I feel I could have stopped with a ML31.5 + ML30.6 combo ... The Laser assembly is not usually a problem, even in vintage players. As most laser parts are common with some cheaper players some skilled technician manage to service them using parts collected from other brands existing spare lots. Usually the only real problem is getting custom chips - but these parts are intrinsically reliable.

If you get a vintage player you should have the power supply checked and electrolytic capacitors replaced - a good power supply condition is mandatory for a long lifetime of equipment!

And we can not be free of the audiophile sin of pride of ownership when seeing the massive cover firmly opening and closing!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
AFAIK the 31.5 uses the Philips CD-Pro2 drive.

You can buy one for $450 from Enco:
http://www.encosystems.net/product/philips-cd-pro-2/

As you can see, this is a complete drive mechanism (with pickup, servoboard, spindle and tracking motors etc). I haven't seen the 31.5 service manual, but on the No 37, it is a 1h job from start to finish (the drive requires a slight modification around the clock circuit).

I'm puzzled by the bill that was presented to you.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
AFAIK the 31.5 uses the Philips CD-Pro2 drive. (...)

Unfortunately no - they use a Philips CD ROM industrial drive, that is much harder to get. Although Philips claim some backward compatibility between the CD-Pro2 drive and old drives, I think direct replacement is not possible.

But it seems there is a known way to do it. At your own risk, as they say http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/66567-33-86-mhz-clock-cd-pro2.html

But it seems you can get the laser replaced at a cost around 100 euros. https://www.ls3-5a-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=654328

Last edited:

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Very nice! Would you provide some pictures?
I am enjoying my 31.5, too, such a nice unit, flawless and fascinating in function and sound.

old school

Feb 24, 2016
Will do!

old school

Feb 24, 2016
ML gear.JPG Pic of my ML gear. Still looking for a NO 30.6. After that a pair of 33h amps....

Just love the 300 series Mark Levinson gear!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Pic of my ML gear. Still looking for a NO 30.6. After that a pair of 33h amps....

Just love the 300 series Mark Levinson gear!

the 31.5 is awesome looking.

beautiful collection you have there, love the picture. to my eyes it's the tip top of hifi industrial design 'ever'.

bet it sound pretty good too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing