Atocha Design LP Storage Cabinets

thase13

VIP/Donor
Feb 22, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

I have ordered but not yet received these shelves from Stan Pike> They are less expensive than the beautiful Atocha cabinets.

The joinery and inlay detailing looks gorgeous! That would be a marvelous addition to any home. Enjoy!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Dear Ron,

Just my taste but this stuff looks boring and mundane. Why don't you look for something in Europe or have custom units built there and have it shipped over. IME unless you're willing to pay through the nose US sucks for furniture.

david

I think it looks a like a dumpy dresser. But I disagree with needing to order from Europe. There are lots of custom makers of all kinds of things in the US, that can make amazing things.

You can hire an architect you like locally to design the cabinet for you and have your contractor build it if you don't want to deal with shipping from overseas. This stuff isn't rocket science to build, you just need the right design.

david

That's insane. That's like hiring an auto engineer to instruct your mechanic through the physical movements of how to change the spark plugs on your car when he already knows the ft/lb amount.

Ron,

Go to a cabinet maker, like for custom kitchens. Look at some photos on the net and find something you like. The cabinet maker should be able to use any hardwood you like. They usually work with a finisher and will come out measure too and deliver & install.

Best advise so far... I could easily make my own, but the point being that you can have amazing forever wood that is exactly what you want, and doesn't look like a dumpy dresser. Kcin's are pretty awesome. Although I'd prefer all wood & not sure about the casters except for moving. If you can't tell it appears like they are drawers that pull in and out, which is a big win IMO.

I don't like trying to read splines, it's not possible on a lot of albums.

Local LA:

03e936_ec11a1110c24b12e12b0222def69f091.jpg

03e936_4f4368de50e2e68a75ac29d66a85655b.jpg

03e936_792f7e38f48cdf4ae35ed45a8699cdae.jpg

Eric Ervin Woodwork

CroftHouse_RailcarDresser-4_975x.jpg

BronsonBuffet_CroftHouse_12of14_975x.jpg

Croft House

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Folsom. But I am really quite happy with Jenn's cabinets in blackened walnut with a steel, black power-coated base and brushed nickel pull handles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ron,

Go to a cabinet maker, like for custom kitchens. Look at some photos on the net and find something you like. The cabinet maker should be able to use any hardwood you like. They usually work with a finisher and will come out measure too and deliver & install.

Thank you, Roger, but I don’t see the point in reinventing the wheel when these are designed to hold heavy batches of LPs.

If I can make them more contemporary with a black finish and a steel base I am happy with these.

Interesting...we went to a custom kitchen cabinet designer (who is also an avid audiophile) to make our equipment rack (sapele butterfly veneers, 4" thick shelves, piano gloss wood, 1.5" slate base)

And then, like Ron, went with a guy who already manufacturers cabinetry for medical equipment (whose drawers fit 6" CD cases perfectly). Just for comparison, the custom kitchen guy designed something for 1500 CDs...but the medical cabinet manufacturer managed to get over 4,000 CDs of storage in the exact same volume!

KoeppelDesign

Jun 6, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Hey I just wanted to jump in here, as the owner of an Atocha piece- I love her furniture, and use it to house 1/2 of our vinyl collection. We've had The Record Stand (a vertical storage unit) for years, and I can speak to the durability and weight of this piece. This furniture is going to last forever.

I am the designer of Koeppel Design products mentioned earlier in this thread, (thanks for the mention, KeithR!) and we've worked with Atocha Design on a number of custom client projects, and we can happily customize our dividers to any shelving or cabinet. If Jenn knows you plan to use our dividers, we'll work together to make sure the combination works perfectly together. Quite a few clients of ours have Atocha cabinets, and they are really beautiful and well made. I can't say enough about the work!

View attachment 41712

Attachments

• KateKoeppel_RecordTote_Situ3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hey I just wanted to jump in here, as the owner of an Atocha piece- I love her furniture, and use it to house 1/2 of our vinyl collection. We've had The Record Stand (a vertical storage unit) for years, and I can speak to the durability and weight of this piece. This furniture is going to last forever.

I am the designer of Koeppel Design products mentioned earlier in this thread, (thanks for the mention, KeithR!) and we've worked with Atocha Design on a number of custom client projects, and we can happily customize our dividers to any shelving or cabinet. If Jenn knows you plan to use our dividers, we'll work together to make sure the combination works perfectly together. Quite a few clients of ours have Atocha cabinets, and they are really beautiful and well made. I can't say enough about the work!

View attachment 41712

Thank you, Kate, for writing! Your products and Jenn’s products are a perfect match!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A picture is worth a thousand words...

View attachment 41693

Frame clearance is tight on both the upper and lower LP drawer compartments. Tabbed dividers are a non-starter with the drawers in the stock configuration.

View attachment 41694

Also note the protruding screwheads... I originally covered them with adhesive felt pads but incessantly worried that they applied too much direct contact pressure on the LP surface so I ended up purchasing wooden tabbed dividers from Amazon and snapping off the tabs. Additionally, the CD storage drawers are the width of two jewel cases with approximately 2 inches to spare and also suffer from top side clearance issues on most cd box sets. You can't stack hinged end up because the drawers are too shallow. Consequently, you'll be looking down on the translucent top edge of your jewel cases.

I must add that this is not Ikea-quality furniture, this can be categorized as OMFG, hernia-inducing, "I-think-I'm-lifting-a-f'ing-elephant" furniture. Staircases are not your friend in this case.

thase13,

When you experienced the protruding screw heads impacting the cover of the first LP in the drawer are you sure your LPs were not packed tightly in the drawer?

The natural position of the records in the drawer if the drawer is not full seems to be that they lean back. So why would the first LP be leaning forward in such a way as to be impinged by the heads of the screws fastening the drawer pull?

thase13

VIP/Donor
Feb 22, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
thase13,

When you experienced the protruding screw heads impacting the cover of the first LP in the drawer are you sure your LPs were not packed tightly in the drawer?

The natural position of the records in the drawer if the drawer is not full seems to be that they lean back. So why would the first LP be leaning forward in such a way as to be impinged by the heads of the screws fastening the drawer pull?

No, you are correct sir, the ideal natural position of the records in the drawer is with the records relaxed toward the rear. However, I think there is some scientific law (similar to that entropy thing) that states that all record storage will eventually tend toward exceeding full capacity :). What I can tell you is that somebody in our household keeps buying records; my wife and I have yet to identify the culprit but records keep showing up at our front door. The odd thing is that this unknown person keeps using my name to place the orders so the boxes that keep showing up on our doorstep have my name on them. When my wife asks, my confusion is so profound that all I can manage to utter is "hummenna, hummenna, hummenna..."

On a more serious note, I do agree that the ideal implementation would be to leave ample room to allow the front portion of the stack to provide backward resistance to the remainder of the stack. It seems that the problem I've experienced occurs once you fill the drawer past the 1/2-way point and force a larger part of the back end of the stack to be stored vertically. Once you've crossed this Rubicon, when you pull open the drawer on the eazy-glide rollers, the action causes a slight weight shift that tilts the entire stack forward. It is this repeated action that will eventually cause the first LP to make contact with the protruding screw heads.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Obviously somebody you know is engaged in a serious fraudulent enterprise. Ordering LPs in your name? How dare he/she! What is this world coming to?

I hope that culprit is apprehended so you can prove to your wife that you had nothing to do with it!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can also just put in a plastic divider in the front.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
how big is your record collection Ron ? These pretty cabinets look like they will work great for small collections.

I don’t know. Not big, I think. I have a lot of LPs but most of them are back-up copies and various versions of the same 100 or so titles.

This cabinet will be for only my open LPs. All sealed LPs will be stored in a closet in the hallway outside of the listening room.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron you're similar to me. I maybe have 200 by now. And what's funny is I'm trying to buy more I like! I go to the local place and sit and the listening station with a pile of albums all the time. Also I try to grab a second copy, but I only have that for a few so far as some are uncommon, and it's sort of a pain getting used ones online and being satisfied with everyone's grading.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
how big is your record collection Ron ? These pretty cabinets look like they will work great for small collections.

Just curious. Who would you inherit your vinyl treasures to Christian?

My psychic said we were past life relative.

Tang:D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Just curious. Who would you inherit your vinyl treasures to Christian?

My psychic said we were past life relative.

Tang:D

I have no children and that's not likely to change at 56 years of age. Excellent question. Hopefully I get 30+ years to figure that out. ;)
Maybe we can enjoy them in the after life ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have no children and that's not likely to change at 56 years of age. Excellent question. Hopefully I get 30+ years to figure that out. ;)
Maybe we can enjoy them in the after life ?

Take the records with you just leave me the Ferraris:)

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing