Atocha Design LP Storage Cabinets

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As we get a bit closer towards being able to return to our repaired house later this year I recalled that all I have done for the last five years is buy boxes upon boxes of new LPs, which remain sealed in their unopened boxes. I do not want to line the listening room with shelves, so where to put all of these new LPs?

While researching LP storage cabinets I found Jenn Atocha of Atocha Design, in New York.

https://www.atochadesign.com

Atocha cabinet.jpg

Atocha Design makes high-quality, custom LP storage cabinets. Interestingly. the drawers of her cabinets let you peruse your albums the way you would in a record store -- rather then struggling with a flashlight to read the tiny vertical print on record cover spines.

Atocha drawer.jpg

Jenn uses natural wood veneers and offers a wood base or steel, powder-coated base. The drawers are designed to support easily the heavy weight of 95 LPs.

Jenn will also entertain requests for custom sizes of cabinets.

I am planning to order a 6 LP drawer cabinet and a matching taller cabinet, two drawers wide and four drawers tall, for tapes. Jenn can make the cabinets less mid-century and more current contemporary by using the steel base, power-coated in black, and by "ebonizing" the walnut to create a black finish.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The problem I see with that kind of storage is that you will always have to flip through numerous LP's to get to the one you want. Instead of being able to see from the spline what it is that you are looking at, which is what you get when you utilize the shelf method.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
What about an acrylic/glass display shelf?
It isn't as offensive as a "normal" shelf.
The upside is that you can still see your vinyl ;)
The only downside I can think of are the mediocre acoustical properties of glass- This only matters if you place the shelves in you listening room.
A normal shelf can "act" like a sort of absorber.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The problem I see with that kind of storage is that you will always have to flip through numerous LP's to get to the one you want. Instead of being able to see from the spline what it is that you are looking at, which is what you get when you utilize the shelf method.

Each set-up has pros and cons. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Something along those lines...

We are trying to keep it more contemporary rather than less, and for me I prefer not to see the albums in the distance.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Ron
That is a interesting solution. Much better than looking at the clutter of albums lining the wall(s) of a listening room.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Ron,

Just my taste but this stuff looks boring and mundane. Why don't you look for something in Europe or have custom units built there and have it shipped over. IME unless you're willing to pay through the nose US sucks for furniture.

david

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Looks like something my parents would store their records in during the Magnavox console record player era. That is not practical for a large record collection.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Looks like something my parents would store their records in during the Magnavox console record player era. That is not practical for a large record collection.
They've got your parents system in their ad too! :D

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You can hire an architect you like locally to design the cabinet for you and have your contractor build it if you don't want to deal with shipping from overseas. This stuff isn't rocket science to build, you just need the right design.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, I've got my collection in containers on the third floor of my house, far away, out of sight. They allow me to flip through like those drawers do. I like that because I may see an album that I was not thinking about. I then grab a few for a listening session. I also do like the idea of nice shelving for large collections in a dedicated listening room like MikeL's. His solution is quite excellent looking, IMO. I would consider locating your collection in that adjacent room where the equipment is located, close by, but out of sight.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Nice trains..Fleischmann ?

Top "floor" mostly HAG with some Märklin in-between.
Second "floor" Märklin and one Liliput BR05.
Third "floor" mostly Märklin with some HAG in-between.
Bottom floor Märklin and One Roco A/E 6/6 and A/E 8/14 III plus Fulgurex/Roxy AE 6/8 I and II.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, David, but I am quite content with the 6 LP drawer model in black with a contemporary black steel base. Everything in the listening room and the equipment room will be silver, grey or black.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I've got my collection in containers on the third floor of my house, far away, out of sight. They allow me to flip through like those drawers do. I like that because I may see an album that I was not thinking about. I then grab a few for a listening session. I also do like the idea of nice shelving for large collections in a dedicated listening room like MikeL's. His solution is quite excellent looking, IMO. I would consider locating your collection in that adjacent room where the equipment is located, close by, but out of sight.

Yes, Peter, this LP cabinet will be in the home theater/equipment room adjacent to the listening room.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If one were to convert a small closet into built-in record shelves, what is the ideal height for the shelves? How much taller than the record jackets themselves should be the bottom of the shelf?

So if the LP jacket is 12” tall, should there be two inches of clearance above the jackets? More than two inches?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
beautiful furniture. and i'll bet not cheap.

not to be negative, but it does not look substantial enough to last with hundreds of Lp's and those skinny little wood legs. Lp's will eventually break down anything not really well supported. the constant pulling and pushing Lp's in and out of any space (especially a drawer sliding on rails) will loosen things. I'd recommend something that has the whole length sitting on the floor. and avoiding the combination of drawers and Lps.

or plan on replacing or repairing the furniture regularly.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If one were to convert a small closet into built-in record shelves, what is the ideal height for the shelves? How much taller than the record jackets themselves should be the bottom of the shelf?

So if the LP jacket is 12” tall, should there be two inches of clearance above the jackets? More than two inches?

I have some of my Lp shelves with 13" openings, and others with 14" openings for boxed sets.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing