Flemming Rasmussen, Founder of Gryphon Audio Designs, Is Retiring

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Members and Friends,

While I was at the Munich High-End Show in May I was able to see and talk leisurely with Flemming Rasmussen, the Founder of Gryphon Audio Designs.

I met Flemming in February of 2016, when my wife and I visited Gryphon’s office in Ry, Denmark. Over time we have become friends.

Flemming founded (in 1984), built and managed what we all know is one of the most highly-regarded and successful high-end audio companies in the history of the industry. Flemming performed or supervised every function at Gryphon: product development, creative and aesthetic design, sonic testing, marketing, support and management.

I learned when we had dinner with Flemming that he is a man of many talents. Before founding Gryphon Flemming had professional experience in painting, photography and design.

After devoting over three decades to building Gryphon to the world-renowned status it enjoys today Flemming told me that he is officially retiring from Gryphon to enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle and to return to some of his other interests, such as painting.

Flemming has personified Gryphon Audio Designs since its inception. It is difficult to imagine Gryphon without Flemming. He has assured me that Gryphon is in excellent hands with the new management team, including with respect to future product design, support and service.

Flemming -- we all wish you a much deserved and wonderful retirement!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron
Are you glad you got those Pendragons before this announcement?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, the announcement has nothing to do with it. I am glad I was able to order Pendragons before Gryphon ceased making them.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes and his passion for Big Game Fishing--I promised I'd take him to catch Black Marlin on the Outer Reefs where Zane Grey and Lee Marvin did the same.

Enjoy the Retirement Flemming:)

BruceD

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Wow. That is a shame, at least for Gryphon fans - I wish Flemming well in his retirement. I hope the team he has left behind continue to move Gryphon forward.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well hé said so in the statement that hé left the company in good hands , so that means servicing as well
The company goes further , Just like Wilson without the founder

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Well, that is what he said. I am hoping it happens in reality.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Wow. That is a shame, at least for Gryphon fans - I wish Flemming well in his retirement. I hope the team he has left behind continue to move Gryphon forward.

Rasmussen sold Gryphon a long time ago and today Thomas Villum Børsting is the owner (I think he is the son to Valdemar Børsting who bought Gryphon shares from Lyngdorf who saved Gryphon after the crisis). I guess Rasmussen have been the public face but there are obviously some talented people on Gryphon working in silence.

Rasmussen is still on the board of directors atm.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Now they need a new industrial designer. If the gear looked the part they would be much more successful....IMO of course

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Now they need a new industrial designer. If the gear looked the part they would be much more successful....IMO of course
Really?
Love Flemming-particularly his no BS approach to audio.
What you see is what you get.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
There are many folk who don’t like the Gryphon aesthetic. I totally get it. I almost didn’t buy my Diablo 300 for that reason. Turns out though that I now love the aesthetic. It looks like an engineer designed it, but I love how unique it is. It screams masculine and “balls”.

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
Rasmussen sold Gryphon a long time ago and today Thomas Villum Børsting is the owner (I think he is the son to Valdemar Børsting who bought Gryphon shares from Lyngdorf who saved Gryphon after the crisis). I guess Rasmussen have been the public face but there are obviously some talented people on Gryphon working in silence.

Rasmussen is still on the board of directors atm.

Masterchief,. Sorry, you got it all wrong. Rasmussen sold his last shares This year.,. Valdemar Børsting is the sole owner,.He and Thomas is the same person. Lyngdorf did not "save" Gryphon, but purchased some shares in the hope that Gryphon could support NAD with some Gryphon technology.
Rasmussen is no longer on the board of directors.
But, you are right, there are many talented people in Gryphon. Rasmussen never took credit for anything else than concept, industrial design and voicing. The products are the result of teamwork.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Sounds like Gryphon is in extremely capable hands. Wonder what the next produxt is - Colosseum II?

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Masterchief,. Sorry, you got it all wrong. Rasmussen sold his last shares This year.,. Valdemar Børsting is the sole owner,.He and Thomas is the same person. Lyngdorf did not "save" Gryphon, but purchased some shares in the hope that Gryphon could support NAD with some Gryphon technology.
Rasmussen is no longer on the board of directors.
But, you are right, there are many talented people in Gryphon. Rasmussen never took credit for anything else than concept, industrial design and voicing. The products are the result of teamwork.

Ok, thanks for the info! And about Lyngdorf I found a reference to it in this article:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gryphon/1.html

Rasmussen sold his last 5% some time ago to Börsting, I got that wrong.

About to the board I saw it here:
https://www.proff.dk/roller/gryphon-audio-designs-aps/ry/producenter/GJNGB4I016D/

And Valdemar Martin Börsting is the same person as Thomas Villum Börsting? I didnt realize that but that seems to be the case.
http://teklatech.com/web2/management/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/valdemarboersting/

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Can you actually be 2 persons at once in denmark , or does he work for 2 lol.

Its a saying in Holland for if you work very hard

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing