It’s only taken 22 years...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Marc,

congrats on that sense of satisfaction that you have achieved. where you can enjoy and not stress and feel you have something that makes you feel good. as much as 'paralysis by analysis' has been something you have faced from time to time, getting over that hump is cause for celebration.

enjoy the music and your special spot there.

i'm happy for you.

Amen! When many audiophiles reach this state, they rip up their system and start over

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, thanks.
I’ve enjoyed all my systems, but they’ve always given the impression of having unfulfilled potential.
The move to the dedicated space was a major step forward to reaching that potential, and final tweaks have dialled things in more.
And two decades ago, I was highly skeptical of anything other than belt drive, SS, big tower speakers.
Even 2 years ago I was cynical about comments the room was everything.
So this has been what’s taken 22 years to get right, good hunches in gear, now wringing 100% out of that gear.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
And it's great to see Zu get some respect. The measurements gang/ frequently analytical listers/ "transparency to source" (instead of transparency to music) marketing segment like to sh!t on Zu because of supposedly bad measurements, but boy, can Zu, like so many high efficiency speakers, deliver emotion!!!
Glad you are happy, resolved and content Marc, tho Caesar I thought that a Sh!t Zu was a dog?

22 years is nothing to discover an answer that makes you genuinely happy. Music makes me happy every day. So does my system... and my espresso machine... and my car... and my home... and my job... and most of all my family and friends. Being at peace and enjoying what you have is the best thing on the planet. Great to hear you are there with it, keep it up.

PS Caesar, I’d still love to see some pics of those fabulous sound systems of yours if you ever get around to it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, imagine having a pair of $hitZus .

For me my joy at this point is a massive counterpoint to the unbelievable funk I was in w my underwhelming (to say the least) tt reinstall 5 months ago.

That period still brings me out in a cold sweat when I think about it .

caesar

May 30, 2010
Glad you are happy, resolved and content Marc, tho Caesar I thought that a Sh!t Zu was a dog?

22 years is nothing to discover an answer that makes you genuinely happy. Music makes me happy every day. So does my system... and my espresso machine... and my car... and my home... and my job... and most of all my family and friends. Being at peace and enjoying what you have is the best thing on the planet. Great to hear you are there with it, keep it up.

PS Caesar, I’d still love to see some pics of those fabulous sound systems of yours if you ever get around to it.

Hi Tao,
You are a funny guy- that really cracked me up!

As for system-build time, you are definitely more patient than I am. I think once the room is available and funds are there for the type of sound one likes, it should be a faster process.

And sorry, no pics. I'm shy

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Spirit,
I know I read it before, but can you possibly post a short timeline of epiphanies? Thank you

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, let me down a drink or two later and get back to you on those.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That and " spirit s" keeps saying his system keeps getting better and better after a couple of .....lol
Im getting suspicous now

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I sip regularly from the Kool Aid.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, main epiphanies in gear would have to be discovering tubes for the first time in 2005 w the Hovland HP200 pre (it would only be a matter of time before I went SET in the end w the transcendent NAT amps), hearing the magic of high efficiency full range drivers of Zu in 2008 (again making me easily converge twds SETs), and the greater connection to the musical vinyl message upon hearing the direct rim drive/linear air arm Trans Fi Salvation/Terminator. Hearing digital I immediately knew was end game for me w Eera in 2013 was a great moment too.

These were all moments in demoing gear where I heard something very different from the norm, away from what I’d always been interested in previously, and gear so compelling yet affordable, that I couldn’t not commit to the new direction.

But I’ve had a number of big experiences w tweaks/ancillaries too. Balanced power gave me that after midnight sound 24/7. Stacore isolation under my tt has absolutely transformed my vinyl.
Sablon cables have been the only ones I’ve found where I can have my cake and eat it (detail plus tone/texture/flow, not one or the other).

And then of course there is the effects of the new room, which are so hard to convey in words. Maybe I’ve had too much Kool Aid.

And so a series of hunches on gear has come together to gel in the new room to give me a personal sound that started off as impressive but flawed a few years back in the inferior old acoustic, to now keep 100% what attracted me to my current gear in the first place, but now taken the shackles off to tick all the boxes we look for in an emotionally connecting but also neutral, revealing, and above all, authentic sound.

If I do say so myself LOL.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tao, imagine having a pair of $hitZus .

For me my joy at this point is a massive counterpoint to the unbelievable funk I was in w my underwhelming (to say the least) tt reinstall 5 months ago.

That period still brings me out in a cold sweat when I think about it .

Congratulations Marc. I'm glad you are done. Does this mean that you won't be starting any more "search" threads for a new vinyl front end? I'm surprised to read about the end of Stacore in your system given the exuberance of your past postings.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Caesar, main epiphanies in gear would have to be discovering tubes for the first time in 2005 w the Hovland HP200 pre (it would only be a matter of time before I went SET in the end w the transcendent NAT amps), hearing the magic of high efficiency full range drivers of Zu in 2008 (again making me easily converge twds SETs), and the greater connection to the musical vinyl message upon hearing the direct rim drive/linear air arm Trans Fi Salvation/Terminator. Hearing digital I immediately knew was end game for me w Eera in 2013 was a great moment too.

These were all moments in demoing gear where I heard something very different from the norm, away from what I’d always been interested in previously, and gear so compelling yet affordable, that I couldn’t not commit to the new direction.

But I’ve had a number of big experiences w tweaks/ancillaries too. Balanced power gave me that after midnight sound 24/7. Stacore isolation under my tt has absolutely transformed my vinyl.
Sablon cables have been the only ones I’ve found where I can have my cake and eat it (detail plus tone/texture/flow, not one or the other).

And then of course there is the effects of the new room, which are so hard to convey in words. Maybe I’ve had too much Kool Aid.

And so a series of hunches on gear has come together to gel in the new room to give me a personal sound that started off as impressive but flawed a few years back in the inferior old acoustic, to now keep 100% what attracted me to my current gear in the first place, but now taken the shackles off to tick all the boxes we look for in an emotionally connecting but also neutral, revealing, and above all, authentic sound.

If I do say so myself LOL.

Marc,

Beware - the pleasure and mastery you evidence in writing your audio achievements and successes shows that you risk a strong relapse!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, my positivity twds Stacore is as strong today as it was on day one. This is a good example of taking a punt on an expensive tweak that really delivered the goods. The other one I can think of that totally changed my worldview was my 165lb Westwick 8kVA balanced power transformer.

A few things have converged to compel me to slow down my spending in this hobby. I’ve taken a pay cut to move to the country, I have to find substantial funds to carry on the renovation of the chapel, I need a second car.

Fascinatingly, coincidentally or by the vagaries of fate, my efforts on the room, isolated power grid, a couple of Stacores, and icing on the cake final optimisation tweaking has got me to a point where I’m just not thinking about the system at all, just the music.

Surely there’s no better reason to just step off the conveyor belt.

And in truth my original idea was just to buy one Stacore for under my tt.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, my thread here carries the risk of my coming across as pompous, self satisfied, cat that got the cream.

And by my own admission, my gear was fighting an uphill battle acoustically in my old space, and my tt may well truly have never been as well set up as it is now.

I’m sure many audiophiles have moved their gear to a stellar sounding room, or got their tt singing, I really don’t want to pretend I’ve unlocked some ancient secret.

For me my current state of play is a sort of ultimate expression of sweating the small stuff really mattering as the big stuff.

Re future spending, hey I’m not so naive to think I won’t be tempted. I know my Zus have certain limits on absolute transparency and microdynamics.

But after a few years of going to listen to Apogees, Cessaro Liszts, AG Duos on a regular basis, and a recent uber purist horns based system, I can honestly say my optimised Zus are not embarrassed in this company, indeed my conclusion is they are better all rounders than all of these, to my ears.

And so if I ever go for another component upgrade, it’ll likely be new flagship Zus due out in the next 18-24 months.

I cannot see myself prioritising another tt, cdp or set of amps, over what I currently have.

But this is purely hypothetical, those Zus are not anywhere near ready, and I’m truly enjoying music, being in the moment, and not projecting ahead.

Indeed a critical factor that points twds me having it right is a newly found love for my classical vinyl, that never seemed on the cards even a month ago.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Caesar, your comment about the best systems having a flow where at the end of an album you’ve just taken in a holistic experience - well I’m assuming we’re all aspiring to this, I know I have. And in my own little way, I do believe I’m at this point.

There’s no doubt more regular exposure to live unamplified has been critical here in giving me a better appreciation of (especially) timbre, but also tone, air, dynamics, and now staging.

I’ve been able to get a better mental appreciation of how instruments really sound, and interact w each other, and I’m sure it’s become a benchmark that I’ve measured my sound against.

This feels inherently like the right approach, or certainly a logical way of going about things.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hm.

22 years.

It's taken me 40, I started building systems at about 15 years old. Still not there yet. Never will be. Never give up, LOL. A small tweak here, a little change there:D

I'm not saying I don't think my kit is good. I think it is. I just like change for the sake of it every now and then. I don't really spend much money on the hobby when it really boils down to it. Far less than I am able to afford.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, I love your sound.

But if I wanted to adore it, I know what changes I’d make. Not ones we’d ever agree on.

And that’s part of what makes this hobby fascinating.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing