T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Ron Report: MBL / UHA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Once again the partnership of Jeremy Bryan, Chief Executive officer of MBL North America, and Greg Beron, Proprietor of United Home Audio, created some of the very best sound at the show.

IMG_0106.JPG

Jeremy was exhibiting the 101E Mk. II, driven by the MBL Noble line of electronics. I do not know what sonic attributes the Noble line gives up to the Reference line, but I value the slightly smoother presentation I think I hear from the Noble power amplifiers.

IMG_0110.JPG

The system, fronted by Greg’s newest top-of-the-line Ultima 4 tape machine with outboard power supply, wowed all listeners with the combination of dynamics, extended frequency response, life-like energy and the unique omnidirectional spatial attributes that only the MBL Radialstrahler can create.

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0100.jpg

My wife and I attended Jeremy and Greg’s standing-room-only after-hours music extravaganza. Listening on tape to the first twenty seconds of the driving and pounding instruments at the beginning of Hugh Masekela’s Coal Train Greg remarked to us “only tape can do that.” And I think Greg is correct. While KeithR was hunting for vinyl at the show, I was sniffing for tape.

The MBL / UHA room was one of my two favorite rooms at the show!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
It's awesome Greg has the tape soiree! :cool:
Nice pics, too. :D

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Once again the partnership of Jeremy Bryan, Chief Executive officer of MBL North America, and Greg Beron, Proprietor of United Home Audio, created some of the very best sound at the show.

View attachment 41599

Jeremy was exhibiting the 101E Mk. II, driven by the MBL Noble line of electronics. I do not know what sonic attributes the Noble line gives up to the Reference line, but I value the slightly smoother presentation I think I hear from the Noble power amplifiers.

View attachment 41600

The system, fronted by Greg’s newest top-of-the-line Ultima 4 tape machine with outboard power supply, wowed all listeners with the combination of dynamics, extended frequency response, life-like energy and the unique omnidirectional spatial attributes that only the MBL Radialstrahler can create.

View attachment 41601

View attachment 41602

My wife and I attended Jeremy and Greg’s standing-room-only after-hours music extravaganza. Listening on tape to the first twenty seconds of the driving and pounding instruments at the beginning of Hugh Masekela’s Coal Train Greg remarked to us “only tape can do that.” And I think Greg is correct. While KeithR was hunting for vinyl at the show, I was sniffing for tape.

Interesting. Tape is still king.

Did you know you that the Noble Line is a "Linear Analog Switching Amplifier" ? Thats MBL's take on a Class-D amp.
The "corona series" uses a custom Hypex module. Don't know about the Noble line though.
What you were refering to as the "smoother presentation" might be the low-pass output filter.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, I know Noble is Class D.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Interesting. Tape is still king.

Did you know you that the Noble Line is a "Linear Analog Switching Amplifier" ? Thats MBL's take on a Class-D amp.

Amusing
;)

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I think it was perceived as amusing that MBL chooses to describe their Noble Line amp as a "Linear Analog Switching Amplifier" (which is technically correct) as opposed to calling it a "Class-D amp" which has a negative connotation in the minds of many audiophiles.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think it was perceived as amusing that MBL chooses to describe their Noble Line amp as a "Linear Analog Switching Amplifier" (which is technically correct) as opposed to calling it a "Class-D amp" which has a negative connotation in the minds of many audiophiles.

Behold the power of marketing.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Truly positive words coming from someone suffering from acute transistorfobia !:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"The term "class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some class-D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, the power stage deals with voltage and current as a function of non-quantized time. The smallest amount of noise, timing uncertainty, voltage ripple or any other non-ideality immediately results in an irreversible change of the output signal. The same errors in a digital system will only lead to incorrect results when they become so large that a signal representing a digit is distorted beyond recognition. Up to that point, non-idealities have no impact on the transmitted signal. Generally, digital signals are quantized in both amplitude and wavelength, while analog signals are quantized in one (e.g. PWM) or (usually) neither quantity.

Class-D amplifiers work by generating a train of square pulses of fixed amplitude but varying width and separation, or varying number per unit time, representing the amplitude variations of the analog audio input signal. It is also possible to synchronize the modulator clock with an incoming digital audio signal, thus removing the necessity to convert it to analog, The output of the modulator is then used to gate the output transistors on and off alternately. Great care is taken to ensure that the pair of transistors are never allowed to conduct together. This would cause a short circuit between the supply rails through the transistors. Since the transistors are either fully "on" or fully "off", they spend very little time in the linear region, and dissipate very little power. This is the main reason for their high efficiency.

A class-D amplifier or switching amplifier is an electronic amplifier in which the amplifying devices (transistors, usually MOSFETs) operate as electronic switches, and not as linear gain devices as in other amplifiers. They are rapidly switching back and forth between the supply rails, being fed by a modulator using pulse width, pulse density, or related techniques to encode the audio input into a pulse train."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing