T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Ron Report: Transrotor Turntables

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Arturo Manzano, the Chief Executive Officer of Axiss Audio, the USA distributor of Transrotor turntables, was exhibiting a relatively modest new model of turntable, called the Rondino Nero with TR 5012 Tonearm ($21,300).

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Ron. That is a thick platter. I would have expected the armboard to be a bit thicker. Do you know what kind of drive the table is? I don't see a belt. It looks like one could have three arms on that table and that the motor is hidden in the back. Without a cartridge, they must not have played any LPs. Arturo is also the US distributor for AirTight cartridges. I see the Transrotor tables use SME arms, or variants. I read that some AirTight cartridges were developed in part on SME arms. Perhaps Arturo has an opinion about 9" vs. 12" arms.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I saw the three flagship Transrotors in Munich. The Metropolis is considered by Transrotor to be its best turntable now.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ron. That is a thick platter. I would have expected the armboard to be a bit thicker. Do you know what kind of drive the table is? I don't see a belt. It looks like one could have three arms on that table and that the motor is hidden in the back. Without a cartridge, they must not have played any LPs. Arturo is also the US distributor for AirTight cartridges. I see the Transrotor tables use SME arms, or variants. I read that some AirTight cartridges were developed in part on SME arms. Perhaps Arturo has an opinion about 9" vs. 12" arms.

Think Tramsrotor was designed by the German distributor of SME using SME as a defense reference. Shakti will know details

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area

The Rondino uses what Transrotor calls FMD or Free Magnetic Drive whereby a completely enclosed module (located underneath the chassis) containing the motor driving a flywheel through a short belt is magnetically coupled to the platter, so there’s no physical contact between the drive mechanism and the platter.
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue61/transrotor.htm

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Rondino uses what Transrotor calls FMD or Free Magnetic Drive whereby a completely enclosed module (located underneath the chassis) containing the motor driving a flywheel through a short belt is magnetically coupled to the platter, so there’s no physical contact between the drive mechanism and the platter.
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue61/transrotor.htm

Thank you miniguy. That's an interesting approach. I wonder if the platter speed is more consistent, all else being equal, because that platter looks like it is heavy and would overcome much of the speed variation due to stylus drag and belt stretch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing