T.H.E. Show Newport 2018 Ron Report: Alma / YG / D'Agostino

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
ALMA MUSIC & AUDIO / YG ACOUSTICS / DAN D’AGOSTINO

The physically largest room at the show went to Alex of Alma Music and Audio, in San Diego, California.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Alex put together a top-of-the-line flagship system headlined by the YG Acoustics Sonia XV Junior speakers ($189,600 per pair). The speakers were driven by two pairs of Dan D’Agostino Momentum M400s ($65,000 per pair).

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

The Technics SL-1000R ($17,999) fronted the vinyl playback system which also included the Dan D’Agostino Momentum Phono stage ($29,000). The line stage preamplifier was the Audio Research REF 10 ($30,000).

The power cords and speaker cables were Kubala-Sosna Realizations and the XLR interconnects were Kubala-Sosna Elations. The huge and impressive-looking Stromtank S 5000 HP hulked in the background.

Altogether this was a very elaborate, state-of-the-art, and expensive system in the biggest and best room of the show.

I was very grateful that Alex suffered the aggravation of dealing with vinyl replay. The sound was spacious and dynamic and natural. The huge room gave the system the opportunity to “breathe.”

This was without doubt one of my two favorite rooms at the show. From the comments and the conversations I overhead I think many people at the show considered this room to be the Best of Show.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing