Endgame pre-power or Int recommendations

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
What would you guys recommend for an endgame pre-power combo or uber Integrated with a budget of €50K to €70K to drive a pair of Thiel CS 3.7 ?
Some that i can think of are as follow : Ypsilon PST 100 MK2 + Ypsilon Aelius II , Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon EVO Stereo, Dagostino Momentum Integrated, T+A PA3100HV + PS3000HV, upcoming Vitus SIA-030.
Please share your experience if you are familiar with some of these components.
Thiel CS 3.7 can be bright in the treble if not paired with the right amp.
Please i don't want to read things like " your budget is overkill for your speakers" thanks!!

Thieliste

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Have you considered the MastersounD PF100 and Spettro preamp? Over 100 watts of single ended 845 power with their reference preamplifier.

I've heard the T+A PA3100HV on two different occasions and think its a wonderful integrated amplifier - possibly the best solid state I've heard. If you are a fan of solid state, this could definitely be an end game integrated. Personally, I prefer the MastersounD Evolution 845 over the T+A, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the PA3100HV.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
For the Thiel 3.7 I would recommend the Ypsilon specifically because of the treble as you mention.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I love CH Precision
So I will try new integrated I1
100 watt 8 ohm and 175 w 4 ohm

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
What would you guys recommend for an endgame pre-power combo or uber Integrated with a budget of €50K to €70K to drive a pair of Thiel CS 3.7 ?
Some that i can think of are as follow : Ypsilon PST 100 MK2 + Ypsilon Aelius II , Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon EVO Stereo, Dagostino Momentum Integrated, T+A PA3100HV + PS3000HV, upcoming Vitus SIA-030.
Please share your experience if you are familiar with some of these components.
Thiel CS 3.7 can be bright in the treble if not paired with the right amp.
Please i don't want to read things like " your budget is overkill for your speakers" thanks!!

Thieliste

The T+A Stereo (A 3000 HV) amp with a tube pre-amp (might fix the treble issue) might be your coice. Leaves you room to upgrade with the power-supply.

The midrange stereo vitus amp might also be good choice. (Vitus Audio SS-103 aprox. 40k €)

I don't know if I would reccomend the Ypsilon because of their high-ish output impedance which could cause linearity issues with you "challenging" CS 3.7... I could also be wrong and it a match made in heaven

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Last year i had a home demo of the Ypsilon separates, sound was phenomenal with my speakers, i also know a guy who purchased Ypsilon pre-power combo to drive his Maggies 20.7
Ypsilon is definitely on my shortlist, so far the only big system that i was able to home demo.

Dskip thanks that looks like a pretty interesting suggestion, MastersounD is completely new to me but there is a distributor in my country so i will check it out.
gian60 CH is probably not a good match for my speakers being already extremely resolving.
Regarding Luxman i don't know what to think of them, last year in Munich i wasn't impressed by the Luxman M900u-C900u combo.
Anyone regarding the Gryphon Pandora-Antileon Evo ?

Attachments

• Ypsilon home demo Thiel CS 3.7.jpg
    Ypsilon home demo Thiel CS 3.7.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 341

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I remember enjoying Thiel speakers through an all Spectral electronics system.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I drive the ASCENDO from Germany their top of the line M5ST SE with the external crossover

Ok so not tricky to drive for the Aelius monos.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Problem with mine is impedance drop down to 2.4 Ohms, sensitivity is quite good with 90 db.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And what if the best Amplifier in the world has Just 50 Watts and cant deliver the current , there Will be no end to the game then.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
And what if the best Amplifier in the world has Just 50 Watts and cant deliver the current , there Will be no end to the game then.

then you get a speaker that it will drive!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Problem with mine is impedance drop down to 2.4 Ohms, sensitivity is quite good with 90 db.

We have found that the 3.7 is not as difficult to drive as many would assume from the impedance curve. We were able to get great sound from a NAT hybrid, KR Audio and Aries Cerat. The Diana Forte with 60 SET watts drives the heck out of them. Some weaker SETs and PP tubes struggled a bit but some did not (like the surprisingly potent Pure Sound A30 and VAC 30/30 MKIII). Ypsilon is probably a good choice and I would even consider the excellent sounding Phaeton integrated before making final decisions.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
then you get a speaker that it will drive!

Speakers will not be changed because they are my favorite ones.
The Ypsilon Aelius ll drives them perfectly and with awsome refinement, not sure about the Phaeton.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing