New Ultrasonic Machine Raises Eyebrows

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes, LAST sounds different, as I said, it has less grove noise. Good, bad? I dunno, really don't care. It won't stop me from buying an a used LP, but I won't buy the treatment either.

David, the problem with "really dirty" LP's typically isn't that you haven't got it clean, it's that the sounds you're probably still hearing are from cavities in the vinyl - not bumps of dust. The cleaners can't help with that sadly. That's why even a good cleaning that sounds a lot better will still have some noises.

Maybe that too but for the most part the fungus, dirt, whatever is still there even after 4-5 cycles.
david

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Maybe that too but for the most part the fungus, dirt, whatever is still there even after 4-5 cycles.
david

Which ultra sonic machine do you use. I am only asking as I would like one but haven't decided on which one I want. I certainly like the less hands on maintenance of the KL over the Audio Desk.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Which ultra sonic machine do you use. I am only asking as I would like one but haven't decided on which one I want. I certainly like the less hands on maintenance of the KL over the Audio Desk.
The one in my signature :)!

david

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

david

It appears as if the earlier reliability issues have been solved as I don't see anyone complaining anymore. I have friends with the KL and some with the Audio Desk and everyone is happy with their decision on the machines they chose.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It appears as if the earlier reliability issues have been solved as I don't see anyone complaining anymore. I have friends with the KL and some with the Audio Desk and everyone is happy with their decision on the machines they chose.
I haven’t had any problems with them.
david

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I haven’t had any problems with them.
david

Seems like it a mixed bag with both. I am tempted to go the DIY route, but I know deep down I will not be very enthusiastic about cleaning records that way. So for me the AD or KL would be the way to go, but the prices!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Seems like it a mixed bag with both. I am tempted to go the DIY route, but I know deep down I will not be very enthusiastic about cleaning records that way. So for me the AD or KL would be the way to go, but the prices!
Call me.
david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Pcosta, do look at the Degritter thread I’ve started.

I’m absolutely thrilled w this machine, whether it’s coincidence or not w my newly optimised analog install, my vinyl has never sounds better.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

david

Keith Monks = Loricraft PRC4

the Loricraft is a less expensive version of the Keith Monks.

I've owned 3 Audio Desk RCM's, 2 Loricraft PRC4's, and 1 KL.

if you commonly buy nasty used records and need deep cleaning the Loricraft/Keith Monks is best. but requires lots more focused time, chemicals, and effort.

if you are cleaning or touching up already pretty clean records and like to listen and not futz then get a KL. you can listen and clean at the same time. I now only use this one. at one point I had all three of these together.

if you are a dice roller get an Audio Desk. it combines friction cleaning and ultrasonic. but it's got lots of moving parts. the newest ones are much more reliable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
http://www.keithmonks-rcm.co.uk/][ulr=Keith Monks[/url] = http://www.garrard501.com/prc2.html]

I've owned 3 Audio Desk RCM's, 2 Loricraft PRC4's, and 1 KL.

if you commonly buy nasty used records and need deep cleaning the Loricraft/Keith Monks is best.

if you are cleaning or touching up already pretty clean records and like to listen and not futz then get a KL.

if you are a dice roller get a Audio Desk.

I am a dice roller but I gotta have some upside. I own the KL. Couldn't be happier.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Which do you prefer, volume aside?

Keith Monks. Mike has the same experience, flossers clean deeper and in my case I don't bother cleaning records that are eye clean unless there's surface noise.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve directly compared my Loricraft v beta tester Degritter.

No contest, either dug in dirt, or superficial, the Degritter is best.
And not by a small margin.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, back then people were unaware of many things and used chemicals to clean their styli too destroying the cartridge’s suspension in the process. Many of this only became known years later. I never used LAST myself so I don’t know how it went on just what it looks like now.

david

I've used LAST for many years and have noticed no ill effects. None. I've inspected the needle after playing. Nothing. That others have an issue is beyond me.

Reactions: stereonut8

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, IF the original application of LAST was haphazardly applied, and way way too much of the LAST was used, I can easily see how the results that DDK report could accrue.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I’ve directly compared my Loricraft v beta tester Degritter.

No contest, either dug in dirt, or superficial, the Degritter is best.
And not by a small margin.

At least on paper the Degritter looks like the better widget than the ones I tried but I still believe that manual cleaning is the way to go with heavy soiled records.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have to say for right or wrong, I am tempted to acquire one of these because it is so cheap at $850 AND because I can’t clean 7” and 10” on my existing Audio Desk.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
david

If you have records that bad you probably need to add a little hepastat. If that still doesn't work you need something that can break down a biofilm. In that case you need enzymes with it. I am not certain where to buy enzymes on their own. Pomegranite juice would work but I don't know how problematic rinsing it and the sugars would be - I would test it first. I suspect if its easy to clean off then you could spread it on the disc and let it sit for a few minutes before cleaning with your iso, hepastat, & surfracant mix in the sonic machine.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, too bad you didn’t get on board w the Degritter beta testing program, you’d have a machine that can do 7”, 10” and 12” discs for c£1k.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've used LAST for many years and have noticed no ill effects. None. I've inspected the needle after playing. Nothing. That others have an issue is beyond me.

Yes, there are many of threads in audio forums with people expressing divergent opinions. Anyway LAST is now a product that is almost (or over, perhaps) forty years old, and its formulation has changed more than once since it was introduced - even by safety and ecological reasons. My experience dates from early 90's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing