Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
So Lee, are you contemplating adding the Ref160m to your rig and replacing your long-in-the-tooth VT100? I am chomping at the bit for more comments from those who’ve heard the new amps. I have been selling everything not bolted down around here (anyone looking for a lawn thatcher/seeder? ;-) to fill the piggy-bank. I’ve wanted a pair of ARC monos since 1978, and thought, after the GS150 came out, there would ultimately be a new pair of monos that included the new styling. Are they as nice looking in person as the fancy product photography suggests?

I’ve also contemplated a D’agostino stereo amp as others have enjoyed the pairing with ARC REF10, but my dealer has suggested best synergy sticking with ARC, or going full Dag. I would hate to lose any of the goodness of ARC tubes and 3 dimensional presentation of vocals I enjoy now, so hoping the 160M offer a real step up.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
no offense, but PTA still releasing Axpona reports a few months after the fact is kinda sad. Seems like a poor business model.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
no offense, but PTA still releasing Axpona reports a few months after the fact is kinda sad. Seems like a poor business model.

I have no dog in this hunt—but “part time audiophile” IMHO seems to mean part-time, as in “when I have the time”. Someone chiming in with comments on a new pice of kit that has not yet had a hundred other comments is welcomed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Perhaps your opinion, but I think it is unfair to PTA - they have been continuously releasing news, not reports, from Axpona on an almost daily basis since the show. I really enjoy a lot more reading full pages with plenty of information and a good narrative than the usual hasty comments just saying it sounded poor or was the best of the world. Surely YMMV.

Thanks Lee and all PTA collaborators!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bob,

Our pair of 160Ms are being built, and I can't wait to try them! We have Alexia and REF10 as well, so they should be a blast!

At this point, I think you choices are basically more + better of what you currently have, or something else entirely. One thing the D'Agostino does extremely well on the Wilsons is control of the woofers. And paired with the REF10, they lack for nothing in soundstaging/imaging/3D.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have no dog in this hunt—but “part time audiophile” IMHO seems to mean part-time, as in “when I have the time”. Someone chiming in with comments on a new pice of kit that has not yet had a hundred other comments is welcomed.

They have plenty of writers - its not just Scot Hull anymore.

Seems to me PTA does a steady drip of show reporting to drive website traffic vs. real content.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

There are several reasons for this. First, we are doing this writing on a part-time basis. Second, our show reports are more in-depth. Many times I will interview the electronics or speaker designer for additional insight on the product. Third, it's hard work and takes time. We often shoot 2-3 dozen photos per room and these have to be edited and watermarked. Then we generally write 1,000 words or more.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
They have plenty of writers - its not just Scot Hull anymore.

Seems to me PTA does a steady drip of show reporting to drive website traffic vs. real content.

The way to drive website traffic is to have more in-depth coverage and we offer the best content of any publication on audio shows. One of our writers covered 34 rooms at Axpona this year. In my case, I spent a full day with Mobile Fidelity engineer Rob LoVerde. Most of us shoot at least 500 photos during a show like RMAF or Axpona.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Perhaps your opinion, but I think it is unfair to PTA - they have been continuously releasing news, not reports, from Axpona on an almost daily basis since the show. I really enjoy a lot more reading full pages with plenty of information and a good narrative than the usual hasty comments just saying it sounded poor or was the best of the world. Surely YMMV.

Thanks Lee and all PTA collaborators!

Thank you.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
There is a new review of the Reference 160M's by Ken Kessler of HIFI News.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm currently in Brazil, so I haven't heard these beauties (as luck would have it, they arrived two days after I left), but reports are that they control the YGs incredibly well, and even fresh off the factory, they sound fantastic!

IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0364.jpg IMG_0363.jpg

Reactions: WeatherB

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'm currently in Brazil, so I haven't heard these beauties (as luck would have it, they arrived two days after I left), but reports are that they control the YGs incredibly well, and even fresh off the factory, they sound fantastic!

Looking forward to your further thoughts after you return. Enjoy your travels.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing