Shocking news about the Roseanne TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Yup. As I said, unfortunately today's conservatism often equals racism, rather than a plain ole fashioned economic stance. I'd have no problem with the latter.

Disagree with you there. The biggest racists in today’s society are the left and Progressives in particular.

If you like I can cite multiple examples from a policy and individual standpoint. Trust me there is no dearth

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
So why is Bill Maher and other late night TV hosts still have a job??

What did Maher say that should have gotten him fired?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So why is Bill Maher and other late night TV hosts still have a job??

Good question. Bill Maher's generalized and stupidly uninformed attacks on Islam as a whole, for example, are indefensible. He should have been fired a long time ago. But I guess pretending to be a 'freethinker' makes him invulnerable, and even a 'hero' to some misguided idiots.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Disagree with you there. The biggest racists in today’s society are the left and Progressives in particular.

That's too funny.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
She should know better... touch the 3rd rail and your gone.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
What did Maher say that should have gotten him fired?

For the third time

He called Milo an “impish fag” on his show not in a tweet. He called Palin a “dumb twat” on his show and not a tweet. He called Palin a “dumb cu-t” in a stand up routine.

Many many more of the same but those are three that rise to the Barr standard, no? Or is that just “comedy”

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yup. As I said, unfortunately today's conservatism often equals racism, rather than a plain ole fashioned economic stance. I'd have no problem with the latter.

How does conservatism equal racism Al? What kind of racism are we talking about here, against whom?

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
For the third time

He called Milo an “impish fag” on his show not in a tweet. He called Palin a “dumb twat” on his show and not a tweet. He called Palin a “dumb cu-t” in a stand up routine.

Many many more of the same but those are three that rise to the Barr standard, no? Or is that just “comedy”

How is calling Palin a twat or a dumb c**t the same as calling a person of color an ape?

Calling someone a fag is crossing the line.

Either way, everyone should support the firing of someone who wrote what Roseanne did. That should be universal. And she was talking as herself, not as a comedian and not as a TV character.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
For the third time

Google his interview with Ben Sasse (R) Neb where he refers to himself as a house (slur). Ice Cube didn't think it was funny.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
How does conservatism equal racism Al? What kind of racism are we talking about here, against whom?

david

Are you so blind, David, to need to ask me for an answer?

Anyway, I welcome conservatism as an economic stance. In fact, we need a good ying and yang, otherwise liberals will blow a hole through our budget. Oh, that's the Republicans who just recently did this again. Never mind.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
That was stupid too but he was not calling a person of color that name.

That sounds like a justification. It's offensive either way.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
As a teacher you have the understanding in contract that you as an individual represent the school district when in public. It's a generic clause that is somewhat encompassing, but understood. While I do think the 'punishment' in this instance is a bit too much (Roseanne is a comedian and they by nature do go over the lines sometimes), I can't fault ABC for distancing themselves. Roseanne represented the ABC brand by having a show there and her poor judgment cost her that affiliation.

I do think often times employers in the public's eyes are too swift to terminate employment with their employees over minor lapses in judgment. On the flip side, I also feel that social media in and of itself is a parasite to society and allows too much poor judgment to leak into the public. We would be better off without it.

Yes but you know what the boundaries are. That is something not everyone gets the privilege of anymore. I think it's perfectly appropriate to require employers to write down how they stand on these situations. It would save everyone a lot of gruff. Those that want to talk freely saying whatever they want will consider whether or not they can do it at work, and whether they want to work for someone that has the conditions. While Rosanne isn't a prime example, it's a highlighted one. The truth is this goes on daily with people that don't have america's attention.

ABC did not violate Roseanne's first amendment rights. They made a business decision not to be associated with someone who would say what she did. This isn't political. They were fine having a right leaning show in their network as long as it was popular. All she had to do was behave. She didn't and they fired her.

Define behave. No they didn't "violate" them, but I think the issue is a bigger concern. You have to remember that she could have said something utterly benign, but if it was labeled wrongly she'd still get axed.

She attacked a person with a racial slur. She wasn’t making fun or trying to point out social issues, a slur pure and simple. Plus, you have her tin foil hat attacks on Soros. Look, we can disagree on policy and the like, but name calling and slurs have no place.

You know... I was curious about who this person she tweeted about looked like. I had no idea. Once I found a picture I understood Rosanne's comment. She has an interesting look to her. I don't think Rosanne's approximation was inaccurate. What I don't know is if she blurted it out because it made sense, or she was trying to come up with something particularly racist. These days even something true can be "bigot racism". What is amusing though is comparing the two, as they actually don't look too dissimilar if they had the same hair style. Really though, at a comedy club no one would bat an eye at Rosanne's comment. It's just not important.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Are you so blind, David, to need to ask me for an answer?

Anyway, I welcome conservatism as an economic stance. In fact, we need a good ying and yang, otherwise liberals will blow a hole through our budget. Oh, that's the Republicans who just recently did this again. Never mind.

I'm not blind, come on Al where's that racism that you accuse of?

david

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
How is calling Palin a twat or a dumb c**t the same as calling a person of color an ape?

Calling someone a fag is crossing the line.

Either way, everyone should support the firing of someone who wrote what Roseanne did. That should be universal. And she was talking as herself, not as a comedian and not as a TV character.

What is it you don’t get? I understand Progressives like to define appropriateness as they are the vision of the anointed BUT had Maher called her just dumb without reference to “twat or cu-t” maybe it wouldn’t rise to the despicable misogynistic insult it was. Had a conservative said the same their career would be over. And trust me there is no dearth of dumb women (& men) on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing