Shocking news about the Roseanne TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Any body remember what I thought was one of the best shows on TV, Archie Bunker. That show was done 40 years ago and was so politically incorrect with everything said that we had to laugh. IMO it brought America together rather than tearing it apart. What Archie said, how he treated women and his opinion of black America was often uncomfortable but in the end it was done so well that it was hysterical.

Who can ever forget Archie facial expression when he was kissed by Sammy Davis Jr

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
But if it's not in your contract or bylaws or something for where you work, is it right to be able to punish the employee?

ABC can cancel any program they want at any time. Depending on who owns the rights to the Rosanne Show, Bar can take the show to another channel. The Christian Broadcasting Network would be a great choice, they don't care about offensive tweets.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Agreed 100%. The NFL should put rules into place that fines or fires players that don't align with their principles, ie standing for the National Anthem. And........the consumers have spoken, the NFL had a terrible year for viewership.

Personally I think it should be even more basic than that. They can have whatever rules they want but the player can be fired at the discretion of the owner as is his/her right. Unfortunately in today’s world employers are limited by Progressives.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
But if it's not in your contract or bylaws or something for where you work, is it right to be able to punish the employee?

As a teacher you have the understanding in contract that you as an individual represent the school district when in public. It's a generic clause that is somewhat encompassing, but understood. While I do think the 'punishment' in this instance is a bit too much (Roseanne is a comedian and they by nature do go over the lines sometimes), I can't fault ABC for distancing themselves. Roseanne represented the ABC brand by having a show there and her poor judgment cost her that affiliation.

I do think often times employers in the public's eyes are too swift to terminate employment with their employees over minor lapses in judgment. On the flip side, I also feel that social media in and of itself is a parasite to society and allows too much poor judgment to leak into the public. We would be better off without it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Any body remember what I thought was one of the best shows on TV, Archie Bunker. That show was done 40 years ago and was so politically incorrect with everything said that we had to laugh. IMO it brought America together rather than tearing it apart. What Archie said, how he treated women and his opinion of black America was often uncomfortable but in the end it was done so well that it was hysterical.

Who can ever forget Archie facial expression when he was kissed by Sammy Davis Jr

But the entire show was set up to make fun of Archie and his racism....he was the but of most of the jokes. And time and time again, his racism and sexism was proved wrong. That was the point. This is different.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Steve

Some of the funniest comedy ever was making fun of ethnicity, race, men and women.

In today’s PC world we have literally wiped out real entertainment in favor of PC mentality.

How about Animal House, Trading Places, Jackie Mason, Honeymooners, Caddyshack etc.

I was at a wedding in Simi Valley this weekend and had to be very careful. I felt like I was with aliens.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
But the entire show was set up to make fun of Archie and his racism....he was the but of most of the jokes. And time and time again, his racism and sexism was proved wrong. That was the point. This is different.

Actually some of the most racist, anti-Semitic and misogynistic comedy was spawned from Hollywood when it WASN’T considered racist, misogynistic or anti-Semitic to be self deprecating and be able to just enjoy making fun of our foibles and varying cultures. It was a more cohesive time than our current divisive times.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just goes to show you the network & media bias towards any conservative opinion even or specially if it's successful, ABC did the same thing to Tim Allen's Last Man Standing!

david

A conservative opinion is one thing. Nothing against it, I also found Chuck Schumer to be an idiot for supporting Trump's steel tariffs -- if that makes me a conservative free-trader so be it (I guess I am too centrist to be a true liberal). But racist slander is a wholly different matter. Unfortunately today's conservatism often equals racism, rather than a plain ole fashioned economic stance (the latter to which I am somewhat sympathetic), so we have a problem.

She's such an idiot. Her show was absolutely killing it and she was even getting support from the left's "free speech" wing.

Most people misunderstand the 1st Amendment. The 1st Amendment grants you protection from the government, not your employer. If you work at McDonalds, they have the right to fire you if you call a black customer an ape.

Rosanne does not have the freedom from being fired if she says something racist. The Constitution has few protections for the stupid.

You nailed it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
ABC did not violate Roseanne's first amendment rights. They made a business decision not to be associated with someone who would say what she did. This isn't political. They were fine having a right leaning show in their network as long as it was popular. All she had to do was behave. She didn't and they fired her.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Actually some of the most racist, anti-Semitic and misogynistic comedy was spawned from Hollywood when it WASN’T considered racist, misogynistic or anti-Semitic to be self deprecating and be able to just enjoy making fun of our foibles and varying cultures. It was a more cohesive time than our current divisive times.

Yes- the entire Mel Brooks catalog basically couldn't be made today.

But that wasn't what Roseanne was doing.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA

Damn right it is different. Your description of the whole point of the show is spot on. Remember, All in the Family was a tv show. This isn’t Roseann’s character tweeting this, it is HER. She compared a person of African descent to an APE. Disgusting and disgraceful. I am retired now but if someone in my employ had done this they would be fired. If a family member did this at my home on Thanksgiving, I would ask them to get out. The first amendment has nothing to do with it. The first amendment requires government action. Not the government taking action here, just a business taking action against an employee who embarrassed them. Their right. I find it hard to believe that people on here would defend this type of behavior.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Exactly. She attacked a particular person.

In today's world Don Rickles wouldn't have a career.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Damn right it is different. Your description of the whole point of the show is spot on. Remember, All in the Family was a tv show. This isn’t Roseann’s character tweeting this, it is HER. She compared a person of African descent to an APE. Disgusting and disgraceful. I am retired now but if someone in my employ had done this they would be fired. If a family member did this at my home on Thanksgiving, I would ask them to get out. The first amendment has nothing to do with it. The first amendment requires government action. Not the government taking action here, just a business taking action against an employee who embarrassed them. Their right. I find it hard to believe that people on here would defend this type of behavior.

Right on.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Just goes to show you the network & media bias towards any conservative opinion even or specially if it's successful, ABC did the same thing to Tim Allen's Last Man Standing!

david

So, comparing a black person to an ape is conservative opinion. Thanks for confirming that.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Perfectly said.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So, comparing a black person to an ape is conservative opinion. Thanks for confirming that.

Yup. As I said, unfortunately today's conservatism often equals racism, rather than a plain ole fashioned economic stance. I'd have no problem with the latter.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Exactly. She attacked a particular person.

In today's world Don Rickles wouldn't have a career.

She attacked a person with a racial slur. She wasn’t making fun or trying to point out social issues, a slur pure and simple. Plus, you have her tin foil hat attacks on Soros. Look, we can disagree on policy and the like, but name calling and slurs have no place.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

I understand it wasn’t what she was doing and it’s ABC’s prerogative to fire her for her comments.

You should watch the making of Animal House. The only thing more racist than the movie was listening to Reitman and Ramis rationalizing the movie 30 years later. They literally said, we expected blacks to “riot and attack movie theaters and rip out the seats” as though of course, that is the way “they” act.

The point being the left can be as racist or misogynistic as they want and it gets accepted as “comedy” as Maher calling Milo an “impish fag” or Palin a “dumb twat & dumb cu-t” and the silence is deafening.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
She attacked a person with a racial slur. She wasn’t making fun or trying to point out social issues, a slur pure and simple. Plus, you have her tin foil hat attacks on Soros. Look, we can disagree on policy and the like, but name calling and slurs have no place.

So why is Bill Maher and other late night TV hosts still have a job??

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Racial and religious all in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing