Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Wow

the most popular and watched new show on TV was the resurrection of the Roseanne Show

Well some bad tweets by Roseanne and a bunch of political incorrectness brought swift action by ABC who canceled the show today

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/roseanne-canceled-abc-1202824211/

Just goes to show you the network & media bias towards any conservative opinion even or specially if it's successful, ABC did the same thing to Tim Allen's Last Man Standing!

david

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Free speech costs a lot nowadays.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Free speech costs a lot nowadays.

Most people misunderstand the 1st Amendment. The 1st Amendment grants you protection from the government, not your employer. If you work at McDonalds, they have the right to fire you if you call a black customer an ape.

Rosanne does not have the freedom from being fired if she says something racist. The Constitution has few protections for the stupid.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
A show about low-life for low-life. Good riddance.

Shows like Rosanne and the Simpsons should have never survived one season. They are demeaning and an insult to Americans. Promotes the worse behaviors. Shows the rest of the world how ugly Americans are.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas

Shows like Rosanne and the Simpsons should have never survived one season. They are demeaning and an insult to Americans. Promotes the worse behaviors. Shows the rest of the world how ugly Americans are.

One way plane ticket on me!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

If your type represents the pretty America Steve I'll proudly be part of part that beautiful America you call ugly!

david

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Most people misunderstand the 1st Amendment. The 1st Amendment grants you protection from the government, not your employer. If you work at McDonalds, they have the right to fire you if you call a black customer an ape.

Rosanne does not have the freedom from being fired if she says something racist. The Constitution has few protections for the stupid.

Hence why Trump was right about the “sobs” in the NFL. As you point out NOTHING TO DO WITH 1ST AMENDMENT but everything to do with the employer/employee relationship.

BUT Progressives will claim the opposite and how it’s their “right”. It’s not

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
This is not a Bill of Rights problem. It is usually incorrectly reading or interpretation of the Bill problem. As we have read by the above post. It's like baseball with ball in play, run at your own peril. On the right to speak freely You can say any thing you wish anywhere at your own peril. IMHO of course

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
When I read stuff like this, it doesn't make me sympathetic toward anyone. The way it reads to me is, "someone says something that really isn't important, and the general social-populace is so pathetic, weak, utterly fragile and unfit to walk the planet earth, that they all band together to try and prevent further unimportant utterings as to prevent further hive mind PTSD that crushes them under the weight of a single tweet."

We probably need some new kind of free speech protection for the internet & such. The simple answer to this whole thing isn't for ABC to do that, it's to stop watching the show if you're that upset (and I'm sure an awful lot of people would stop watching).

There is a very simple problem. Censorship does not lead to discourse.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Curious how “shows” like Bill Maher factor into your “ugly American” perception when he calls Milo an “impish fag” or Palin a “dumb twat and cu-t”. I hear Progressives rationalize his show as “comedy”

Truth is nothing, IMHO, is uglier than what the Progressives are trying to do to this country. .

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If people don't like a program, they shouldn't watch it. They should not be able to prevent another person who likes the show from having it available.

I watch very little television and actually prefer the politically extremely incorrect as it ISN'T whitewashed and sanitized which removes a great deal of creativity and intent of the writers.

--------------------

When I read stuff like this, it doesn't make me sympathetic toward anyone. The way it reads to me is, "someone says something that really isn't important, and the general social-populace is so pathetic, weak, utterly fragile and unfit to walk the planet earth, that they all band together to try and prevent further unimportant utterings as to prevent further hive mind PTSD that crushes them under the weight of a single tweet."

I couldn't agree more.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hence why Trump was right about the “sobs” in the NFL. As you point out NOTHING TO DO WITH 1ST AMENDMENT but everything to do with the employer/employee relationship.

BUT Progressives will claim the opposite and how it’s their “right”. It’s not

Agreed 100%. The NFL should put rules into place that fines or fires players that don't align with their principles, ie standing for the National Anthem. And........the consumers have spoken, the NFL had a terrible year for viewership.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
If people don't like a program, they shouldn't watch it. They should not be able to prevent another person who likes the show from having it available.

I watch very little television and actually prefer the politically extremely incorrect as it ISN'T whitewashed and sanitized which removes a great deal of creativity and intent of the writers.

I can imagine Alex Jones' Info Wars gets blasted with 1000 watts of MAC power.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This is not a Bill of Rights problem. It is usually incorrectly reading or interpretation of the Bill problem. As we have read by the above post. It's like baseball with ball in play, run at your own peril. On the right to speak freely You can say any thing you wish anywhere at your own peril. IMHO of course

That would be fine, if it were not for all the new forms of censorship in the social-sphere. People aren't even allowed to run. It's as if a lot of people want to throw a blanket over the boogieman and pretend he does not exist. It's pathetic. It divides people, plain and simple, to create as much tension as possible with censorship.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Agreed 100%. The NFL should put rules into place that fines or fires players that don't align with their principles, ie standing for the National Anthem. And........the consumers have spoken, the NFL had a terrible year for viewership.

But if it's not in your contract or bylaws or something for where you work, is it right to be able to punish the employee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing