Audio Research CD9 vs Marantz SA10 - are there alternatives?

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Recently on a visit to Melbourne’s Carlton Audio I had the pleasure of listening to the Marantz SA10 and Audio Research CD9. There was a revelation when switching from the Marantz to the Audio Research. The phrase ‘lifting the veil’ applies. I was very surprised. Equally by the obvious coloring of the SA10 that went before as I was with the precision, clarity, the space between notes, and openness of the CD9. I immediately switched allegiance. The PMC Twenty5 26 speakers we were listening to produced the tone and timbre of each player clearly.

Once heard....my heart had moved.

What other CD players are in the same category as the CD9? Post listening I read some positive reviews of this player. I wonder how it sits in its price/performance category?

Is it necessary to have a hybrid design to achieve the same result?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
John57, I would not have anticipated that result either. I recommend you try Esoteric's new K-03Xs if possible.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do some initial research...

John,

When buying a new CD/SACD player I had the ARC CD9 in my system for three days and then swapped it over to the Esoteric K-01X. There will be a distinct difference in the tonal character between the units. Both are good just different in the stage presentation and warmth. The CD9 is tube so the vocals will be warmer. The Esoteric has more detail and low end wallop.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
John,

When buying a new CD/SACD player I had the ARC CD9 in my system for three days and then swapped it over to the Esoteric K-01X. There will be a distinct difference in the tonal character between the units. Both are good just different in the stage presentation and warmth. The CD9 is tube so the vocals will be warmer. The Esoteric has more detail and low end wallop.

I see what you mean. Of course it’s double the price bracket and maybe the K-03 delivers nearly the same goods for the same price range as the AR and Marantz.
My radar moves again thank you.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/esoteric-k-01-cdsacd-player/

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have not listen the ARC CD9 but I had in my system the MARANTZ SA7S1 and my dealer rent me free the Esoteric K-03X (not the XS) now...Sorry for my english...
I can tell you there are too big differencies between the SA7S1 and the K-03X...Sound is in 3 dimensional with K-03X, singer and piano are in your room...Very happy with.
I do an order for a K-03XS...Hope this help!

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I have not listen the ARC CD9 but I had in my system the MARANTZ SA7S1 and my dealer rent me free the Esoteric K-03X (not the XS) now...Sorry for my english...
I can tell you there are too big differencies between the SA7S1 and the K-03X...Sound is in 3 dimensional with K-03X, singer and piano are in your room...Very happy with.
I do an order for a K-03XS...Hope this help!
Good for you!
I saw a cheaper used piece on Hi-Fi Shark. I can’t really justify this investment right now. I’ve got more than 25k on order right now
Thanks for sharing your impressions here with us.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
What do you have choiced ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Recently on a visit to Melbourne’s Carlton Audio I had the pleasure of listening to the Marantz SA10 and Audio Research CD9. (...)

The CD9 is an exceptional player, but the main question is how it matches the tonal balanced of your system. I have had it side by side with the CD8 for sometime, and it is less tube like and less "full" than the CD8, but has better, more defined bass and is more clear. As a spinner it is hard to beat - it uses the Philips CDM Pro 2 LF mechanism, and the USB port will allow high quality streaming. It is still the integrated CD player I would take to the desert island if I was not allowed to take separates ...

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
The CD9 is an exceptional player, but the main question is how it matches the tonal balanced of your system. I have had it side by side with the CD8 for sometime, and it is less tube like and less "full" than the CD8, but has better, more defined bass and is more clear. As a spinner it is hard to beat - it uses the Philips CDM Pro 2 LF mechanism, and the USB port will allow high quality streaming. It is still the integrated CD player I would take to the desert island if I was not allowed to take separates ...
Thanks for your experience.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I had a Marantz SA7S1. The great improvement is an Esoteric K-03Xs.

Reactions: John57

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
You will be happy with.
The other step to upgrade is to choose a good clock.
I have choose a Grimm CC1 : the sound is warmer and in 3 dimensions.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
You will be happy with.
The other step to upgrade is to choose a good clock.
I have choose a Grimm CC1 : the sound is warmer and in 3 dimensions.
I am pleased to report I’ve found and upgraded an Esoteric G-Orb Master Clock
Can’t wait for delivery

Just two more pieces of this jigsaw puzzle. An upgraded F05 Integrated amp. And an upgraded Pioneer N70ae Streamer.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Do you have listen them together ? Esoteric K-03XS and G-0rb ?

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Special upgrades ?
Can you explain, please ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing