Can someone please answer this question!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How the heck can one side of a record be extremely warped but not the flipside? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

This has been bugging me for YEARS!!!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well it can't. If you use a clamp then that may eliminate the warp on one side and exaggerate it on the other.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That's why it's called a B (bumpy) side?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know Reg, it shouldn't. That's what's so perplexing about it. One side has the arm moving up and down like a bronco, flip it and it's more like a boat on a lake.

B(umpy) Side - Hahahahaha!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Consider if you had a flexible rubber bowl the size of a record. You clamped the bowl upright it would have no effect. Flip the bowl over and it would flatten out. Noe take the same bowl and use VPI outer rimg. It would be flat in both instances.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

How thick is the LP? Depending on how thick it is , I can see one side being more affected than another ... If some bubbles were trapped within the LP material. Also I could see clamping consistently one, the most played side would exaggerate, the bumps (warps) on one side and not the other ...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
How the heck can one side of a record be extremely warped but not the flipside? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

This has been bugging me for YEARS!!!!
Are you assessing this visually or functionally? If the latter, remember that the waveform of the warp can determine trackability and the two sides will, effectively, have opposite warp-related waveforms. Thus, for example, tracking a saw-tooth wave when the leading edge is the rising slope is possible but tracking it when the leading edge is the vertical portion is nigh on impossible.

Kal

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hmmm. Both actually but more of functionally I guess because one side has no problem tracking but the other looks like it can snap a cantilever so visually is as far as that side gets. Very interesting Kal, VERY interesting.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
while i have no explanation for the above phenomenon, i just discovered something that i have not seen before. a few years ago, i got a severely warped (one side, yes) mofi late night guitar by earl klugh. it was the toughest to de-warp using my effective style of letting it stay in a very tight record shelf for many months. after 6 months to a year or so, the warp had dminished a bit, but after many more months later after this, i discovered that side2, which was flat before, has become badly warped too! and side 1 remains warped. so, both sides, warped. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing