Goodbye Vivaldi

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Thanks - my question was centered on knowing more details about the "little difference". Your informative and enthusiastic posts report on tens of little differences - mostly costing a lot less that price of the Dartzeel preamplfier. :) So I see with great interest a 50k difference!

BTW, I was not aware that the MSB II Select variable output was passive - do you know what is the output impedance?

The select with 8 dac modules is 75 ohms while my Reference with 4 modules is 150. I have not sprung for the preamp module due to concern about whether the passive device will do what I need with no gain for my TT given my Soulution 501's 2000 ohm input impedance. My 721 has 2 ohm output impedance and can output a full amp if needed. I plan to give the module a try in time.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks - my question was centered on knowing more details about the "little difference". Your informative and enthusiastic posts report on tens of little differences - mostly costing a lot less that price of the Dartzeel preamplfier. :) So I see with great interest a 50k difference!

your question was only preference. :)

the direct out and dart pre were similar in terms of transparency to the source, the dart had a slight bit more energy/dynamics and a slight bit more heft and body. considering the differences maybe some might have stayed with the direct out considering the investment side. in my case there is also the internal phono's, 'zeel' inputs from my King Cello and XLR inputs from the Studers to consider.

I have to acknowledge that since 8 months ago when I did that comparison some things have changed that could affect the outcome (Taiko Tana + Daiza). at that point I was using passive A10 U8 footers under the MSB dac and power supplies. and was using the 'nude' Herzan TS-150 under the dart pre. so both of those situations have been improved, likely the MSB's situation improved more to some degree. my gut is that there would not be a different outcome, but it might be closer now.

it's remarkable how close the MSB Select II passive preamp gets to the best active preamp. and you can have two analog inputs too......so a separate phono stage can be well supported with the MSB Select II.

BTW, I was not aware that the MSB II Select variable output was passive - do you know what is the output impedance?

I could not find the RCA output impedance listed anywhere in my manuals or documentation. here is what the website shows. to switch to the RCA outputs you exchange the output modules (which I did). but there was no documentation with that output module. in my discussions with Vince from MSB they are very confident with the driving power of their passive preamp, which was also my experience. plenty of gain and control.

imped.png

Last edited:

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Paul, we’re a caring community, first and foremost, with sarcasm not far behind.
Truly if the big spenders in this hobby genuinely feel that the Select is IT, and the 4 box Vivaldi will from this day on be used as the world’s priciest paperweight/doorstop, that’s great.
All I’m saying is that there are all sorts of epiphanies to be had at all price levels, where we feel a new digital piece cannot be surpassed.
For me, that’s the Eera.
I’m sure the Select beats it in some limited respects .

Agreed.

caesar

May 30, 2010
For those who have heard both MSB Reference and Select, what are the sonic differences? How big is the gap (specifically, please)?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations Eric! You have methodically put together a world class system. I also have ordered a Select II DAC with virtually the same options as yours. I also just ordered a Roon Nucleus Plus that will be used in conjunction with a RAID configured NAS and the Renderer input module. I will also be running without preamp. MSB is really gaining momentum as more and more audiophiles are trading in their digital gear for the MSB sound.

Best,
Ken

wow!!!

congrats Ken. I suppose i'm not surprised when I recall your feedback on this.

i'm very happy for you and look forward to your impressions when you have it going in your wonderful system.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
For those who have heard both MSB Reference and Select, what are the sonic differences? How big is the gap (specifically, please)?

I will try to be as technical as I can and specific as you request. I did some measurements in an attempt to be as objective as possible. All things considered I would say the Select is this much better:

39194812-man-s-hand-gesturing-a-small-amount-isolated-on-white-.jpg

Reactions: RdW

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I love the guys who’ve “discovered” 16/44 rbcd is just fine after all, however needing a $80k dac in 2018 to get there.
I got there 6 years ago w the $12k Eera Tentation cdp, which is so “undigital” for a digital player, it’s unreal.

I think you are manipulating what was said to make a point; maybe even to do what so many do, to bolster their own choices

It’s not that we are now just discovering rbcd or that it is “just fine” but how much better it sounds on this DAC than any we ever owned. You “got there 6 years ago” with the Eera, great. My prior DACs/transports from years ago never sounded like the Select II. Live with one for awhile and it may change your mind or give you some insight into what we are saying here.

To me, regardless of the resolution the quality of the recording always trumps all.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I agree. Redbook, SACD, high res. files, they all sound phenomenal. I found myself much less concerned about the format and native sampling rate than with other DACs I’ve owned or listened to. I heard the Reference DAC all three days at RMAF and it sounded wonderful. Both Reference and Select are total winners in my book.

Ken
When Digital finally reaches it’s zenith,I think it will surpass vinyl and tape. Digital has no mechanical limitations unlike the others. The digital processor is effected by current hash mainly. Isolate that problem and you have about a pure audio signal that is possible. That’s why there is such a wide range in SQ with DACs.
The end result is a presentation that sounds live and incredibly beautiful. That’s my experience and opinion.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
First thing I noticed was how good redbook was. I never experienced it with the IV or V but with these newer DACs I couldn’t believe it. Maybe Sony was correct all along and we never had the ability to hear their full capabilities before.

I have thought Redbook has it all (all we may need) for some time. Since I went dropped DS DACs and went R-2R DACs since 2008, and finally the Aries Cerat Kassandra. Everything else sounds flat and anemic IMO. I haven't heard a great sounding DS DAC yet. I am still open to it, but after the Kassandra, have stopped looking...:rolleyes:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Loved Paul's reply, and I'll try to elaborate a bit more on it :)
You know when you have a system that you're sure can't get any more "real"? That's the MSB Reference. And then you put the SELECT in, and two seconds later, it's "ah ha! that is better still!".
The extra DAC modules (4 vs 8 on the SELECT) add not only resolution/transparency, but just extra "information", for incredible continuousness than the MSBs provide. A client who listened to the SELECT, after comparing to his Esoteric, just said "there's clearly a lot more information there!", and I thought that was a good way to put it. It's like the other DACs are not really digging all they can out of 16/44.
What MSB has achieved with both of these products is pure magic. Now I'm curious to see how much of that magic MSB managed to trickle down to the two new, more affordable models.
And BTW caesar, forum talk is fine and all, but you should do like Mike, Paul and Cincy there, and just go listen to one.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The extra DAC modules (4 vs 8 on the SELECT) add not only resolution/transparency, but just extra "information", for incredible continuousness than the MSBs provide. A client who listened to the SELECT, after comparing to his Esoteric, just said "there's clearly a lot more information there!", and I thought that was a good way to put it.

I am wondering what that continuousness is supposed to be that you guys are talking about. Isn't most music almost by definition "continuous"? When I compare what I hear from my system with the real thing, unamplified live music, I perceive all kinds of shortcomings from my system, but a lack of "continuousness" is not among them.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
wow!!!

congrats Ken. I suppose i'm not surprised when I recall your feedback on this.

i'm very happy for you and look forward to your impressions when you have it going in your wonderful system.

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate it! I’ve been following your posts and it is really a testimony to MSB’s preamp module that it gets so close in sound quality to the Dartzeel preamp. I’ve also heard some feedback that the Soulution 725 preamp is at least equal or slightly better than the MSB preamp module. As for me, the ARC Reference 10 preamp is leaving and I’ll be running direct from the Select II DAC to my Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks. Also looking at a six bay 30TB RAID configured Synology NAS to go with my Roon Nucleus Plus. No MSB Transport for now but maybe in the future if I still feel there is a need for it.

All the best,
Ken

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am wondering what that continuousness is supposed to be that you guys are talking about. Isn't most music almost by definition "continuous"? When I compare what I hear from my system with the real thing, unamplified live music, I perceive all kinds of shortcomings from my system, but a lack of "continuousness" is not among them.

hi Al,

I think so much of what we speak of is relative...….and degrees of things. lots of digital is 'good enough' and in isolation seems all there. you can come home from live music and feel great about what you hear from your digital player; but unless you compare it to another dac/player; you might not be aware that there might be better out there. and even possibly pursuing better might not be important.

and objective 'proof' is just not a concept we can apply to subjective opinions about gear. all we can do is collectively consider data points and see what information has merit. on forums we are sort of stuck with opinions.

i'd call myself a serial format comparer. I've put much effort in having top level gear and media in each format to have a clear picture of what each is capable of at the top of the food chain.

likely the best way to understand continuousness would be to sit here and listen to 1/2" RTR tape with me, and then progressively hear lesser formats on the same recording. that stepping down in data density, tonal steadiness and rock solid presentation (collectively continuousness) would then become easy to pick out. same with digital players/dacs. if we heard a number of them together, or even if we walked around audio shows twice a year paying attention (which is what I did) for a few years after a while this aspect of digital presentation would rank itself. in isolation many dacs would seem to fully check off this box. but when put in the context of other dacs, a ranking would immerge. in my own system, I use my vinyl and tape as my steady reference to hold up digital to...….although I've done a few dac to dac direct comparisons too.

a page or two back I referred to an Anna Netrebko recording where dac differences jump out. over time that one has worked for me.

so when I post an opinion that I consider the MSB Select II as at a unique level of continuousness compared to other digital I have heard, that is what i'm referring to. it is certainly only my opinion and not any absolute.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
IMO, This is a hobby of 'degrees'. Everything sounds great, until that is you happen to hear something better.The road is always traveled. Right now the MSB Select DAC 11 sounds great, until the DAC that betters it comes along.

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
Congratulations Cincy...and Ken...

BTW, the Select Transport is in production and the local agent Pacific Audio here in Hong Kong said delivery within 2 months...so lets see...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
IMO, This is a hobby of 'degrees'. Everything sounds great, until that is you happen to hear something better.The road is always traveled. Right now the MSB Select DAC 11 sounds great, until the DAC that betters it comes along.

Yes, and the graduation between degree cost amazes me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO it one of the most perverse habits of this hobby - trying to rank every think and particularly ranking apples with oranges.

I know that this is intrinsic to many people, after many years reading Stereophile recommended components :), but I find this need to rank everything spoils any interest on debating high-end. IMHO this is an hobby of matching and preference, the interesting thing is the why's of why something sounds better in a particular system for soneone, not how it ranks in the imaginary of those who do not have experience with it.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
When Digital finally reaches it’s zenith,I think it will surpass vinyl and tape. Digital has no mechanical limitations unlike the others. The digital processor is effected by current hash mainly. Isolate that problem and you have about a pure audio signal that is possible. That’s why there is such a wide range in SQ with DACs.
The end result is a presentation that sounds live and incredibly beautiful. That’s my experience and opinion.

The Dac cannot be separated from the Transport, if you want system optimization rather than local sub-optimization. Impossible for the Dac to correct all of what has gone wrong upstream. Bad power corrupts absolutely!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing