Not much love for idlers??

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I use chrome but I find myself distracted by these videos all the time. They take up too much space and make us scroll too much. One post of relevant links is fine, otherwise we prefer to read other people's comments.

+1

Posting links to videos is fine, video inserts maybe less so.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ostwald Mill Audio Turntable

(Bonzo was at Oswald Mills for their horn systems (link), and also mentions the idlers there.)

PTPAudio Idler drive turntables

Pretty strong advocacy in those links.

Thanks. Also posting a PTP link http://zero-distortion.org/ptp-lenco-12-and-nottingham-dais/

However, in a later side by side compare between PTP and a low torque suspended DD called STST Motus II from Germany at Anamighty sound, a fantastic vinyl services shop in Paris, the ST ST was better in all aspects. Retail is 7k euro as opposed to almost 3 for PTP.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I got that now from you too.
_____

What's your take on idlers versus belts.

I think most compares of drive types happen between tables of differing levels, i.e. Lesser belt vs better direct or vice versa.

Very few would have done a compare between kodo/nvs level directs and equivalent belts and idlers.

At David's, each TT has a very unique sound, though I am not sure if that is a drive type. He will know. But the Thorens reference and AS and techdas differ as much from each other as they do from EMT.

Comparing Pluto and Feickert firebird to Reed, Ron and I both found the Reed lagged a lot.

I have always liked the Schopper TD 124 though while it will be better than some expensive tables, there will be many expensive tables better than it.

If I had to choose on a budget, I will take an old restored idler like the schopper.

If I could go for more, I will almost certainly end up belt but would like to compare to either the Kodo or the NVS. Belt drives also have a lot of flavors at high quality.

So yes, I don't think I can hear a drive type, so I would rather go with the implementation. I also find all this torque etc theory quite distracting from identifying what sounds better and what doesn't.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If idlers do so much so well, why do you think there are no serious current contenders? And BTW, does the AS2000 have the PRaT and stability of a good idler? Does it absolutely require all that mass to perform at such a high level?

Thanks!

When you say idlers you realize that in our context you're talking about fewer makers with valid designs than you have fingers on one hand, with a total of 6 or 7 models the rest are junk. It's not an easy design to execute properly and in reality there's only one true high end idler, EMT 927.

There are many belt drives with better Prat and far superior sonic qualities than your good classic idler, ie EMT 930, 301/401, Lenco L75. Only this few and if you push it the TD124 & a couple of Fairchild rumblers define the good idler category. EMT 927 is way, way, way beyond the good idler level it's a true legend and IMO still the Reference, the AS-2000 is in that class and yes in my biased opinion it matches 927's sound and even surpasses it.

david

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
When you say idlers you realize that in our context you're talking about fewer makers with valid designs than you have fingers on one hand, with a total of 6 or 7 models the rest are junk. It's not an easy design to execute properly and in reality there's only one true high end idler, EMT 927.

There are many belt drives with better Prat and far superior sonic qualities than your good classic idler, ie EMT 930, 301/401, Lenco L75. Only this few and if you push it the TD124 & a couple of Fairchild rumblers define the good idler category. EMT 927 is way, way, way beyond the good idler level it's a true legend and IMO still the Reference, the AS-2000 is in that class and yes in my biased opinion it matches 927's sound and even surpasses it.

david

What are your feelings about restored/replinthed Lenco L75s?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think most compares of drive types happen between tables of differing levels, i.e. Lesser belt vs better direct or vice versa.

Very few would have done a compare between kodo/nvs level directs and equivalent belts and idlers.

At David's, each TT has a very unique sound, though I am not sure if that is a drive type. He will know. But the Thorens reference and AS and techdas differ as much from each other as they do from EMT.

Comparing Pluto and Feickert firebird to Reed, Ron and I both found the Reed lagged a lot.

I have always liked the Schopper TD 124 though while it will be better than some expensive tables, there will be many expensive tables better than it.

If I had to choose on a budget, I will take an old restored idler like the schopper.

If I could go for more, I will almost certainly end up belt but would like to compare to either the Kodo or the NVS. Belt drives also have a lot of flavors at high quality.

So yes, I don't think I can hear a drive type, so I would rather go with the implementation. I also find all this torque etc theory quite distracting from identifying what sounds better and what doesn't.

I hope to have the Reed for in house demo soon to compare to Transrotor Orion, Yamaha GT-2000, Luxman PD-444, Acoustic Signature Challenger (I think) and a refurbished/replinted Lenco L75. I have heard the Firebird and it is good but I had a three motor Voyd in the past (with Helius Cyalene arm) that I felt allowed too much motor intrusion but was superbly dynamic. As for Pluto, haven't heard any other their TTs.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I would also like to hear Ron's take on the Reed comparison.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What are your feelings about restored/replinthed Lenco L75s?

As compared to what Brad? I can't generalize when there are so many levels of restoration and customization with some costing tens of thousands, it all depends on the individual unit and who did the work and made the plinth. IME there's a limit to what you can and should do with a Lenco or Garrard restore beyond that it's an exercise in futility and a money pit. If you keep it reasonable and do things properly you'll have a great music player that will bring you joy for many years to come without breaking the bank.

david

Edit- This might answer your question a bit better, leaving customization aside for me Garrard 401 is the best sounding machine in this group as a starting point.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hope to have the Reed for in house demo soon to compare to Transrotor Orion, Yamaha GT-2000, Luxman PD-444, Acoustic Signature Challenger (I think) and a refurbished/replinted Lenco L75. I have heard the Firebird and it is good but I had a three motor Voyd in the past (with Helius Cyalene arm) that I felt allowed too much motor intrusion but was superbly dynamic. As for Pluto, haven't heard any other their TTs.

Are you getting it with the 5T arm or the 3P

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Sold off my other turntables after getting my Artisan Fidelity 301. My favorite for Jazz and Rock. I don't listen to Classical but I would imagine a belt drive would be better suited.

IMG_3322 Resized.jpg

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

david

I'm curious which belt drive tables you consider competitive with a well restored 301/401 in these areas, especially at competitive prices. A gorgeous Woodsong 301 without arm is in the $9k neighborhood. Maybe a bit more for the most exotic of veneers. Thanks!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I'm curious which belt drive tables you consider competitive with a well restored 301/401 in these areas, especially at competitive prices. A gorgeous Woodsong 301 without arm is in the $9k neighborhood. Maybe a bit more for the most exotic of veneers. Thanks!

At that price the obvious alternative/companion is the Micro Seiki RX-5000 or even the RX-1500 with the gun metal platter. You can go up the MS models with very big gains but IMO you're maxed out with these idlers by $10k, of course that's if the plinths deliver as promised.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Micro Seiki is only sold second hand now, right? Are there any restoration companies like there are for idlers?

I always feel like David makes things look really grimm for turntables unless you have an awful lot of money to throw at them.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ok well find a recommendation by him for under $10k or $5k that is in production, give me the post link.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As compared to what Brad? I can't generalize when there are so many levels of restoration and customization with some costing tens of thousands, it all depends on the individual unit and who did the work and made the plinth. IME there's a limit to what you can and should do with a Lenco or Garrard restore beyond that it's an exercise in futility and a money pit. If you keep it reasonable and do things properly you'll have a great music player that will bring you joy for many years to come without breaking the bank.

david

Edit- This might answer your question a bit better, leaving customization aside for me Garrard 401 is the best sounding machine in this group as a starting point.

David, any thoughts on SME buying Garard? Someone suggested a possible new idler design.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sold off my other turntables after getting my Artisan Fidelity 301. My favorite for Jazz and Rock. I don't listen to Classical but I would imagine a belt drive would be better suited.

Beautiful turntable.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Micro Seiki is only sold second hand now, right? Are there any restoration companies like there are for idlers?

I always feel like David makes things look really grimm for turntables unless you have an awful lot of money to throw at them.

Actually the opposite, I always maintained that you get great tts arms and cartridges at relative bargain prices, SME 3009r/3010r & 3012-r are perfect examples. Always recommended the 301/401 and the two Micros can still be found for less than $10k, RX-1500's model are around $5k, but I'm sure by the I click "Post" prices would have increased by two fold:)!

Micro Seiko tables are complete designs and don't need plinths, bearings are sealed mostly need cleaning up and service, all damaged parts can be machined, a good number of people are providing this service. The motors are generally still good but need to be verified, somethings can be fixe and some not.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing