Which Speakers for Dartzeel NHB-108B and NHB-18NS Combo?

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

I have recently purchased a NHB-18NS Preamp to match my 108B Power Amp.

I was wondering which speakers are others using with their Dartzeel power amps?
Any information as to why the particular speakers were chosen would be very helpful.

Thanks

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Evolution Acoustics is an obvious first choice, as that's what they were designed on.

I've used mine with Magicos, but not all of them worked great. The Q3 and Q7 (mk1) were pretty good, but the Q1 was awful.

YG also worked fine, but again, only some models. Sonja worked fine, the older Anat and Kipod did not.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Evolution Acoustics is an obvious first choice, as that's what they were designed on.

I've used mine with Magicos, but not all of them worked great. The Q3 and Q7 (mk1) were pretty good, but the Q1 was awful.

YG also worked fine, but again, only some models. Sonja worked fine, the older Anat and Kipod did not.

I take it you mean that the EA loudspeakers were designed using Dartzeel amps rather than the other way around. If I remember correctly the 108 was designed using Redeko (sp?) loudspeakers (a now defunct brand) amongst others.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I take it you mean that the EA loudspeakers were designed using Dartzeel amps rather than the other way around. If I remember correctly the 108 was designed using Redeko (sp?) loudspeakers (a now defunct brand) amongst others.

Yes, the first darTZeel product, the 108, was indeed designed on Rehdeko speakers. But very early on, Hervé picked up EA, partly because it shared the same traits as his now defunct prior favorites.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, the first darTZeel product, the 108, was indeed designed on Rehdeko speakers. But very early on, Hervé picked up EA, partly because it shared the same traits as his now defunct prior favorites.

IMHO it is a legend - no speaker I have known shared the same traits as a Rehdeko. A local distributor imported them in my country in the 90's and I owned the large RK175 and much later the smaller RK145 for a very short time with DartZeel ...

Rehdeko's were extremely colored - but with some types of music they could sound very real and natural. Single acoustic instruments could have life in our room, bass in jazz recordings was fascinating. But voices were colored, treble had little airiness and complex music could sound horrible. Some people who listened to them in Herve room hated them, particularly as they were very efficient and he listened very loud.

It was a bipolar speaker - some people were bewitched by its realism with some recordings and were able to forget all its problems, others simply hated it. No middle term. The type of equipment that obliges us to select recordings for them.

Today I regret having sold the RK 175s - but in the same way I regret having sold my ESL57. Most probably I would not spend a long time listening to them, but they were unique and a reference in the high-end.

See them at : https://sites.google.com/site/rehdeko/Home/game

BTW, I see them from time to time being advertised in Europe. But I have always resisted! :D

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, I have only seen them, not heard them, because Hervé was already using MM3s when I visited him. But he kept the Rehdekos in the back :)

The EAs are efficient, like the Rehdekos, and sound very real and natural too, possibly due to their 1st order crossover. Fortunately they don't have the deficiencies you mentioned on the Rehdekos!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard both speakers at Herve's. I did not like the Rehedko's there

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've seen the 108 demoed with Martens on various occasions. E.g.

And the big boy 458s also demoed with Martens:

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've been told the 108 works well on horns since it has such low noise.

not hear it on horns myself.

I didn't hear the 108, but I did try both integrateds (LHC-208 and CTH-8550) on Avantgarde horns. Dead quiet, and punchy/dynamic as all get out. Some folks actually preferred them to the tube amps we had at hand, that we usually paired with the AGs.

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you all for your inputs.

The Marten Django has a Sensitivity of 89 dB / 1 m / 2.83V.
Is the 108B able to properly drive speakers with 89 dB sensitivity or does it need more efficient speakers?

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Focal Soprano,
Tannoy GR,
EA,
Avantgarde

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thank you all for your inputs.

The Marten Django has a Sensitivity of 89 dB / 1 m / 2.83V.
Is the 108B able to properly drive speakers with 89 dB sensitivity or does it need more efficient speakers?

It is not about the sensitivity - it is about the ease of drive (a combination of impedance and phase angle).

Not sure about your Django, but Django XL is an relatively easy load.

My estimate of the Django's voltage sensitivity was 84.1dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is much lower than the specified 89dB/2.83V/m. Offsetting that, the speaker's plot of electrical impedance with its woofer control set to "+" (fig.1) indicates that it is not a difficult load for the partnering amplifier to drive. Although there is a minimum impedance of 3.8 ohms between 70 and 100Hz and a dip to 5.1 ohms in the high treble, for much of the audioband the impedance remains above 6 ohms, and with a generally low phase angle.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/marten-django-xl-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

luiscesar

Oct 19, 2016
Madrid. Spain
The 18NS+108B I have, drive with absolute pleasure (to my ears and visitors) my Watt/Puppy 8.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
When I first got my Dartzeel power and preamps I was using Sonus Faber Mementos which sounded fine. Then I read about the Golden Ear Triton Ones, incredible reviews, speaker of the year, etc., designed by Sandy Gross, decided to listen to them and was blown away by the life, detail, imaging, bass (powered subwoofers), and the cost, 5900 euros. Could it be true? It was and I am still using them. My dealer advises that they do not match the quality of the Dartzeel electronics, certainly not the cost, but the magic is there for all to hear.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Hello Cascais,

good to hear that you are happy with your decision buying the Triton Ones... maybe the price ratio amp to speakers is not the best. But you can be sure you get the best possible out of your speakers.

redandgold

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Hello Cascais,

good to hear that you are happy with your decision buying the Triton Ones... maybe the price ratio amp to speakers is not the best. But you can be sure you get the best possible out of your speakers.

redandgold

Very good point about getting the best out of the speakers. A dealer I knew in Toronto remarked that we usually don't know how good our speakers can be. With the Dartzeel electronics, we might. Golden Ear has come out with a reference model above the One which is more expensive but still a bargain in the world of high-end. I see no need to change.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I also would like to know if i can drive my not so easy Thiel CS 3.7s with the 18NS+108B combo.
My speakers minimum impedance is 2.4 ohms.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I would also plug in Stenheim Alumine 3 or better Alumine 5 into the picture as the designer of those (Jean Pascal) is using Dart beside Nagra to voice them and also they often do the shows together (last example Hong Kong few weeks ago). Personally listened to Alumine 5 at his demo room driven by Dart and it was magical.

Cheers;
G

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing